The Coleman Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the pointers! I'll pull it apart again and check for blockages. Been slowly picking away at a group of lanterns I bought 6-7 years ago: 2x 228's and 2x 220's. Started with a 200A that my brother picked up for free at a thrift store, then did a 200A I found on Craigslist, now on to the dual mantle lanterns.
IMG_5084.jpeg

5D023688.jpeg

Intake tube is clean as a whistle, but presents another question: is it normal for it to be this crooked? When assembled the burner tubes sit at a distinct angle and the stud on top that the shade fits over is off center.
IMG_5604.jpeg

Edit: some gentle pressure and the intake tube is straight again. I have noticed that there appear to be two burner screens in each burner assembly, and from what I can tell the 1945 228 I have only has one each.

Last edited:
Intake tube is clean as a whistle, but presents another question: is it normal for it to be this crooked? When assembled the burner tubes sit at a distinct angle and the stud on top that the shade fits over is off center. View attachment 3479165

Edit: some gentle pressure and the intake tube is straight again. I have noticed that there appear to be two burner screens in each burner assembly, and from what I can tell the 1945 228 I have only has one each.
Strong work.
Manifold is clear as well?

Hmm.
Try it with one screen per tube and see if it burns better?
I have not come across any double screens per tube, might be an assembly boo boo.
Or someone has been in this lantern before you.
Keep on working it!

Pretty cool. ;) How does it work, ice in the big bin? Seems like the label/tag on the lid would be turned 90 degrees. Never seen one before. It's very similar in size, shape type of plastic interior and latch as our old green regular style we bought new in the 80's.

Really nice condition compared to ours that's been dragged around and beat up over the years. Nice find.
Honestly I'm not entirely sure how its intended to be used. The big bin would make the most sense for ice. I believe the Coleman badge is the wrong way because it can be used horizontally or vertically.

Strong work.
Manifold is clear as well?

Hmm.
Try it with one screen per tube and see if it burns better?
I have not come across any double screens per tube, might be an assembly boo boo.
Or someone has been in this lantern before you.
Keep on working it!
Manifold clean also. I might try swapping out the burner tubes from the other 228 and see if that makes any difference. This lantern has definitely been apart before, there are pliers marks on the intake and burner tubes and several screws have witness marks from screwdrivers.

Manifold clean also. I might try swapping out the burner tubes from the other 228 and see if that makes any difference. This lantern has definitely been apart before, there are pliers marks on the intake and burner tubes and several screws have witness marks from screwdrivers.
What size and brand mantles are you running?

They're new Coleman brand #21 mantles. I have a few old Silk-Lite mantles that came with one of the lanterns, but have been saving them until I know the lantern is totally done and in good working order.

They're new Coleman brand #21 mantles. I have a few old Silk-Lite mantles that came with one of the lanterns, but have been saving them until I know the lantern is totally done and in good working order.
Good call on saving the silk lites.

I’ve been using the peerless mantles for burn in/test fire, general use.
Seem to be a lot tougher once burned. than the new/current #21s.

Pretty cool. ;) How does it work, ice in the big bin? Seems like the label/tag on the lid would be turned 90 degrees. Never seen one before. It's very similar in size, shape type of plastic interior and latch as our old green regular style we bought new in the 80's.

Really nice condition compared to ours that's been dragged around and beat up over the years. Nice find.
If I remember correctly, the Coleman label twists 90 degrees to allow the cooler to be used vertically. The bin is for the ice and you get drinking water as it melts.

If I remember correctly, the Coleman label twists 90 degrees to allow the cooler to be used vertically. The bin is for the ice and you get drinking water as it melts.
Just tried turning the logo and you are correct, it turns 90 degrees... crazy.

^ the peak stoves are great. Free is a great price! They are basically unobtanium since coleman killed them off. Spares are still easy to find. All you need is to get a spare generator assembly and a pump assembly and you'll be set for a few decades :rofl:

I've been using peak and straight coleman versions for many many years as my go to camp stove (25+ years). Flawless operation and I've only ever replaced the pump on one of them after 20+ years due to the bucket finally becoming to bothersome to continue giving it a little oil to rejuvenate.
I have one in oz for when I am back there and one in the US.

Used the US one just a week and a bit ago on a camping trip. Picture prepping for dinner.

A friend gifted me 5 one gallon cans of the coleman 'white gas', given the stupid cost these days, I was very appreciative and am set for a bunch of years :) Being highly refined without 'additives' it appears to store forever.

IMG-20231123-WA0043.jpeg

cheers,
george.

Coleman funnel with the original box that has seen very little use. I would have received this from one of my uncles and all I can say is that it's decades old. I'm going to put it on a shelf for now since I have other means for refueling stoves.

The orange tag says "Key 7" but the price has faded. I'm sure the cost was very low at the time.

IMG_1388.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom