The Coleman Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked this up for free today. Don't know much about them, where's the best place to get re-build kits?
220E stamped 4 - 61
1.jpg
2.jpg

Nice old lantern. That will be a good runner. The site 76FJ40 listed is the place to go for parts. They really don't need much in terms of parts to rebuild. Usually a pump leather and cap gasket is it. The generators can generally be rescued if it's plugged.

Post up once you get it running.

In regards to the lantern a few posts up. Going to order a new plunger assembly, they're cheap. But i noticed I can't get it to lock down?

The current plunger just moves up and down freely even if I turn it to try and lock it down/close it.

Or does it have to be able to hold pressure first?

Last edited:
It should screw down right. Grab a small screwdriver and pull that c clip off the pump. The pump should pull right out then you can see what's going on. I've never seen the threads screwed up on one but you never know. With a flashlight you can also look at the check valve at the bottom of the tube.

I may have asked this early on but is anyone doing much with the Coleman Catalytic Heaters? I’ve ended up with a handful in my Coleman collecting and I really don’t have any love for them nor do I ever envision myself using them? Worth rebuilding? Worth using?

I may have asked this early on but is anyone doing much with the Coleman Catalytic Heaters? I’ve ended up with a handful in my Coleman collecting and I really don’t have any love for them nor do I ever envision myself using them? Worth rebuilding? Worth using?

I picked up a couple with a stove at a garage sale mid 80’s but never used them. I suppose you could use them as patio heaters. I’d be afraid to use them anywhere enclosed.

One of the guys in my club @SeanLX picked up a few, and we used one at one of our events this past winter. Didn't work all that well, but it worked. Not sure what's involved in rebuilding them though, maybe Sean knows.

I've never had mine apart. But it's my understanding that it's nothing more than a wick and a platinum catalyst. I don't think there's much to be rebuilt but I could be wrong.

My theory is that these got used, then put away with fuel in them for a few decades. Then the wick and or the catalyst is plugged up. I took mine deer hunting last year for in the blind. At first it would barely do anything then it seems day by day it got better. Maybe fresh fuel flushing out the wick and burning the crap off the catalyst? I should burn it more to see if it improves.

Yep, I wound up finding 2 heaters for a good price. One is basically new and the other had been used quite a bit.

I would say it would work pretty good if you were in an enclosed space which I didn't trust (same for pretty much any combustion heater) so outside it didn't seem to do much. It was definitely putting off heat and lasted a while. Think little Sportcat not big double burner propane.

I did wind up taking it apart to try and clean up some rust and check out the wick. There's not much to them so I'd say take it apart, clean it up, and try it out.
They don't seem to be worth a lot but in my mind it's cool to know it works. (and it's probably worth a little more)

Last edited:
Did a 4/13 413 lightup
78C7E028-F896-4CBA-BA51-E4FB399B1E33.jpeg

Anyone do a 4/25 425 iightup? I’m going to try for the 4/26 426 lightup.

Damn. Didn't even think of it. And the girlfriend and I actually used my restored 425C in the garage to make chili while homebrewing last weekend.

Well here we go being geeky again. I’ve been soaking the generator for the 426B in carb dip for about a week and finally got the spring out today. Pretty gunked up. No throttling. Full on to off in about one turn and then several more turns to fully close. Thinking it’s a valve problem?
2EC8B198-49EC-4BFA-AD2B-8E5A8F733474.jpeg

Well here we go being geeky again. I’ve been soaking the generator for the 426B in carb dip for about a week and finally got the spring out today. Pretty gunked up. No throttling. Full on to off in about one turn and then several more turns to fully close. Thinking it’s a valve problem?
View attachment 2286920
Might be the generator tip is worn out.
The hole might be too big for the needle to allow for simmering adjustments.

Back on topic, my dad wants to sell these two military Coleman lanterns so I figured somebody on here could give me a good idea of their value or perhaps purchase them. We never use them because they just aren't as fun as the other 3. The old man picked them up somewhere along the line in his military career. He says they work fine and he thinks they came from the 1980's. The other one is identical to the photo except it is missing the yellow sticker. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks
20200427_180557.jpg

Back on topic, my dad wants to sell these two military Coleman lanterns so I figured somebody on here could give me a good idea of their value or perhaps purchase them. We never use them because they just aren't as fun as the other 3. The old man picked them up somewhere along the line in his military career. He says they work fine and he thinks they came from the 1980's. The other one is identical to the photo except it is missing the yellow sticker. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks
View attachment 2287916

I was going to wait for others to chime in, but IMO seems to be those could go anywhere from $40-$100 or maybe more depending on the buyer. There are a couple locally that are going for $40.

For sale $70 for the pair lol

Not Coleman - it's a Wenzel which was a Chinese make clone of a Petromax that I know Cabela's sold in the early 2000s I think. Not cheap even back then at over $100 I think.

tmp-cam-4157758865666387540.jpg

I got burned on the purchase as my never fueled lamp had stress cracks in the font. So it's been in the case for a few years. Being slow at work is costing me money as there is a guy on eBay selling Petromax branded fonts (still made in China.). But for $35 shipped here we go.

Every seal was dry so I had to dig into my spares which are getting hard to find usually coming from eBay Europe. My Wenzel fill cap/pressure gage wouldn't thread on. Like cross thread or wrong thread but not quite. So I got the valve lapping compound out and actually worked it in until the cap threaded on all the way. Holds pressure over night which is excellent for these.

So it's a hell of a runner so far. Love these lanterns. Stupid bright and steady. I think it might be my back yard go to. People at campgrounds give me crap if my lantern is too bright. But I'll definitely take it boondocking to keep the wolves at Bay lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom