The Coleman Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have 425 stove I bought myself when I was 10 - in 1982. Lots of wear. I bought propane converter but still burn white gas on occasion to get that smell that brings back so many memories. I have a Peak lantern from that era too. Good stuff.

OT Post

It snowed here today. I'm so antsy to get out and camp, and it snowed. :mad:

It snowed here today. I'm so antsy to get out and camp, and it snowed. :mad:

and in the 70's here today in Gawja...........:D.....just saying:cool: ===camping weather for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rusty.....dont be a hater of NICE WARM WEATHER in Feb.:cool:

coleman thread-----not coleman..............but way cool bought this last thursday--- lantern and a stove for your favorite camp meal/light source in one................PLUS the coleman no.1a funnel
IMG_1180.jpg

Word of warning, if you have a Coleman Lantern manufactured between June of 79 and January of 80, you might want to toss it, that was the time period I worked for Coleman, on their Coleman Lantern assembly line, I was not the greatest employee they had, but I was still better than some of the other chuckleheads on the line. In 79, they had around a 6 million loss in scrap parts from just our plant.

Coleman, the WORST place, without question, that I have ever worked. Legend had it, the machines we used were used to manufacture bullets for the war effort in WW2. After having worked there, I believe it.

Word of warning, if you have a Coleman Lantern manufactured between June of 79 and January of 80, you might want to toss it, that was the time period I worked for Coleman, on their Coleman Lantern assembly line, I was not the greatest employee they had, but I was still better than some of the other chuckleheads on the line. In 79, they had around a 6 million loss in scrap parts from just our plant.

Coleman, the WORST place, without question, that I have ever worked. Legend had it, the machines we used were used to manufacture bullets for the war effort in WW2. After having worked there, I believe it.

Apology accepted. :)

I plan on dragging out my coleman stove, oven, and lanterns for a weekend of camping in the Okaloacoochee slough. here is the weather forcast i know i can count on you guys sympathy for the rough conditions
Lehigh Acres, FL
sunny.png

72°F
Current: Sunny
Wind: E at 16 mph
Humidity: 58%

Wed
partly_cloudy.png

81° | 56°
Thu
partly_cloudy.png

80° | 55°
Fri
sunny.png

82° | 56°
Sat
partly_cloudy.png

82° | 59°

:flipoff2:

Coleman tricks

Hello gentlemean, It's great to see others are using & collecting Coleman eqpt. I have been using them all my life, since my father taught me how to light a stove when I was about 10(apx 1970).
I also used them in the Army for many years.
I thought I'd pass on a few things I've learned...
- never leave them in a tent un-attended, even the best of them can occasionally flare up, more so if they have been beaten around & things don't fit tightly.
To light a stove if it's very cold out (-30, or more), pump up the tank, open the valve & shoot naptha out onto the ring. Light it & just before it dies out, shove the tank in place & open it to light the stove. This pre-heating makes it much easier to keep it going
- If your stove has caught fire a few times, take it apart, lay the body on some gravel & cover it with oven cleaner. This will peel the paint & grease off. Then hose it down well & dry it. Then re-paint it with BBQ, or Manifold paint. These paints won't burn, or peel (as long as you don't mind black).
- An ice-fishing trick the Inuit taught me is to drill a 8" hole in the ice. drill another a couple feet away from the 1st, but only 1/2 way thru the ice. Lite your lantern & place it in the short hole. The ice will light up for yards around & when you put your lure in the h20, the fish can see it from miles away. (I don't think this is legal south of 60).
- I always go camping w/ 2 lanterns. I'll fill both up before going to sleep & pump them well. A lit lantern on the floor will burn for about 6 hrs & keep the tent toasty. The 2nd is for back-up. Of course I wouldn't do this in a small tent with a nylon floor.
- I always have a lantern in my 4X4. If you get stuck in the bush & it gets dark, it will be priceless. I once was hunting alone & got bogged down 1/2 mile from the road & nothing my winch cable would reach. I left the lantern burning on the side of the road & sure enough the 1st guy to drive by stopped to see what it was. Of course he had a winch & his cable just reach the end of mine.
Happy camping!

A lit lantern IN a tent? Is that safe? I thought the fumes weren't healthy to breathe in.

I realize you do this in a big tent, but still.....safe?

I know what you mean, Carbon Monoxide is a killer. Most tests I've used have high ceilings & leak and I still keep a flap open. With the general public reading this & todays better tents, It is bad advice without an explaination & you never know when someone will make a mistake.

Don't know if this has been posted or not but the 'Old Town Yucca' site recently disappeared from the web and I feared the owner just gave up and let it die, I'm glad to say this isn't the case, he posted up on ExPo recently with his new site: Old Town Coleman Lantern & Stove Repair Home

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom