The Coleman Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked these two up today for $30 ea from Craig’s List Santa Barbara. Also go 4 new mantles.

2B5EF5F1-86A5-4259-845C-7ACCB9FF2A3D.jpeg

That picket fence globe on the 295 Powerhouse is worth more than $30! The smaller of the 2 is a 288A700 most likely, and is a great camping lantern; small to pack, bright when lit, and throttles down well. Nice picks, man.

That picket fence globe on the 295 Powerhouse is worth more than $30! The smaller of the 2 is a 288A700 most likely, and is a great camping lantern; small to pack, bright when lit, and throttles down well. Nice picks, man.
Thanks for compliment. Bought from great couple. Half the fun of Craig’s list is the people you meet.

Picked these two up today for $30 ea from Craig’s List Santa Barbara. Also go 4 new mantles.

View attachment 3173317
nice. my local classifieds rarely have anything nice, and even the beat stuff commands a premium price

curious, what are the model numbers for those? and what's the born on date for the green powerhouse? looks just like the CLX i posted the other day, and yours is also not outfitted w/ a heat shield. i read that coleman added one in later builds to protect the Schrader valve. which i'm looking to update mine with, once i take it down for a deep clean/refresh.

curious, what are the model numbers for those? and what's the born on date for the green powerhouse? looks just like the CLX i posted the other day, and yours is also not outfitted w/ a heat shield. i read that coleman added one in later builds to protect the Schrader valve. which i'm looking to update mine with, once i take it down for a deep clean/refresh.
The same lantern has been labeled as "The Adjustable", "The CLX", and "The Powerhouse" (I believe in that order chronologically) while being model #290 the whole time. In fact, as far as I can tell, the remaining "Dual Fuel" labeled lantern, model #295, is identical except for the font being painted gray and the dual fuel sticker on it.

tore down my CLX/290 a little further after learning all about the plastic eccentric block, Schrader valve, and heat shields. before i hit "order" on OCP for a metal eccentric, new a/f tube, heat shield, etc, i wanted to verify what i'm working with.

yep, mine has a plastic block. the generator pricker was a bit stuck/melted to it. the eccentric moves up/down just fine however. i'm guessing i need to remove the valve stem to remove the eccentric?
PXL_20221122_211231509.jpg

Picked up a sort of unique one today…all aluminum case 442 stove. Unique to me at least, never seen the silver aluminum Coleman stove before, I dig the red accents. The tabs on the tank are stamped 1 64.

This one will need some work and a lot of elbow grease. The gas cap is completely dried out and leaky so couldn’t fire it. I’ll dig out a spare cap tomorrow and see what it will do. Tank is bone dry, and “Throttle” knob is missing.

2E5FF696-8FF2-4DF5-851C-FF029AA8DEDF.jpeg

Instruction label inside the lid is intact in decent shape, many aren’t....
5A0DA75D-3C41-4392-B01F-C1DEA5C5A652.jpeg

Red diamond riveted textured badge is pretty cool, decal is aging roughly though, main latch is pretty crusty….
734F8D6F-02E4-4996-90F4-7A7E87E07409.jpeg

Picked up a sort of unique one today…all aluminum case 442 stove. Unique to me at least, never seen the silver aluminum Coleman stove before, I dig the red accents. The tabs on the tank are stamped 1 64.

This one will need some work and a lot of elbow grease. The gas cap is completely dried out and leaky so couldn’t fire it. I’ll dig out a spare cap tomorrow and see what it will do. Tank is bone dry, and “Throttle” knob is missing.

View attachment 3181491

View attachment 3181492

Red diamond riveted textured badge is pretty cool, decal is aging roughly though, main latch is pretty crusty….
View attachment 3181493
That’s awesome!
To find one in the wild, that you get to work on is awesomer!

View attachment 3181491

View attachment 3181492

View attachment 3181493

Got a chance to run some gas through this new acquisition today. I had to borrow a fuel cap and a Throttle knob from another stove. A little bar oil on the dried out pressure plunger and it’s like new now.
The tank was bone dry and crusty looking inside, after sloshing some new white gas in it this is what came out into a small bowl…🤮

1477C5DA-9037-491D-844D-6E63E48686A3.jpeg

CB7B2228-8279-4971-A7DA-5F329E2BCEBC.jpeg

Repeated this process a few times…

BD319FC5-7CA2-43D4-BCC0-7B39697BC052.jpeg

Each time passing the dirty stuff through a ginu’wine Coleman No. 0 filter, definitely cleaned it up some and removed all the big chunks, but far from perfect…

1E472310-1AC1-4A13-860D-BDB70AEBA1A2.jpeg

I dumped the cloudy brown mixture into the tank, pressurized, and it burned like hell. Fired right up, no sputtering, no yellow flames, lots of heat, this ole thing runs great. It definitely needs a complete break down and clean though, especially the gas tank…lots of funk still in there. It gave out some cool green flames and sparkles occasionally, probably from all the impurities in the fuel.

072E257C-67A4-429C-85EF-E78B95754F31.jpeg

Got a chance to run some gas through this new acquisition today. I had to borrow a fuel cap and a Throttle knob from another stove. A little bar oil on the dried out pressure plunger and it’s like new now.
The tank was bone dry and crusty looking inside, after sloshing some new white gas in it this is what came out into a small bowl…🤮

View attachment 3184749
View attachment 3184750

Repeated this process a few times…

View attachment 3184751

Each time passing the dirty stuff through a ginu’wine Coleman No. 0 filter, definitely cleaned it up some and removed all the big chunks, but far from perfect…

View attachment 3184757

I dumped the cloudy brown mixture into the tank, pressurized, and it burned like hell. Fired right up, no sputtering, no yellow flames, lots of heat, this ole thing runs great. It definitely needs a complete break down and clean though, especially the gas tank…lots of funk still in there. It gave out some cool green flames and sparkles occasionally, probably from all the impurities in the fuel.

View attachment 3184777
That’s really awesome!
Keep the pics coming as you work it up!
I’ve never seen one in person before.
I read from a few sources over the years that the aluminum is quite soft compared to the steel stoves, so the aluminum stoves tended to get pretty beat up easily when being aggressively camper-handled to, in, and from the bush.
I bet that thing can shine up sharp!

That’s really awesome!
Keep the pics coming as you work it up!
I’ve never seen one in person before.
I read from a few sources over the years that the aluminum is quite soft compared to the steel stoves, so the aluminum stoves tended to get pretty beat up easily when being aggressively camper-handled to, in, and from the bush.
I bet that thing can shine up sharp!

I compared this aluminum stove to my regular green steel 413 (same dimensions, same tank, etc), no surprise it is significantly lighter, it’s very light actually.
The aluminum is quite thin and not reinforced much. This one has several dings and dents I’ll try to tamp/roll out.

Still trying to figure out how to “shine/polish” textured aluminum, any ideas?

I passed on one of those Al stoves awhile back. I should have bought it, but I had a trunk full already from the days scores. I limit myself now to brand new suitcase stoves or the smaller 501/502/500 type. Definitely neat to see it running. You can keep filtering that fuel to wash the tank out, but I wouldn't run it with the cloudy fuel in it. And that tank is nowhere near as dirty as my current project...

20221127_093943.jpg

20221127_105532.jpg

20221127_105543.jpg

I passed on one of those Al stoves awhile back. I should have bought it, but I had a trunk full already from the days scores. I limit myself now to brand new suitcase stoves or the smaller 501/502/500 type. Definitely neat to see it running. You can keep filtering that fuel to wash the tank out, but I wouldn't run it with the cloudy fuel in it. And that tank is nowhere near as dirty as my current project...

View attachment 3184934

View attachment 3184935

View attachment 3184936
Sheesh…found in a river bed with no cap on it?

The way I clean the tank: pour a bit if vinegar (can even use white gas) in the tank, drop in some appropriate sized nuts/bolts, shake & drain…repeat if necessary.

If the tank is really bad I have used acetone instead of vinegar.
Good advise--you can also use Berryman's Carb cleaner, with ~ 100 BB's--shake-shake, shake --about every hour for at least 4 hrs.-dump, rinse w/hot water. then add 2 jiggers of superclean mixed 50/50 w/water--shake,shake shake-dump rinse w/hot water 'til clear-dry, then rinse w/1/2 cup denatured alcohol--dump the liquid and all the bbs--if you have a videoprobe-check inside--should be clean--dry with a heat gun(all this should NOT hurt the air pump mechanism,as it is above the normal fuel level inside the tank)--the bbs and treatment should have removed even the hardest gunk from the inside of the tank--even rust)--if you find rust pitting that can't be removed, POR makes a tank sealer that can seal up even that---

Happy Coleman Holiday Tree Day everyone…

2DC27EFC-1E9D-4780-BBF1-E1ED37956774.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom