The Coleman Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We have boys that are 4 & 7.
Decided to Refurb a Lantern for each of them.
Completely tore these down.
Powder Coated the Founts and Lined them with Por15 Tank Sealer
Polished the Internals and confirmed they are 100% Functional
Added the Decals from Ebay
Left the Hats with their Patina.
Need to make some Walnut Boxes to Store/Carry them.
Hopefully they Learn to Appreciate them and Learn the Peculiarities.

**I have ~20 coleman pieces they will get someday including 3 Burner Stoves and several MSR Backpacking stoves.
Also have a Vintage MSR Stove I think was the first ever made. Could be Valuable?

IMG_3521.jpeg
IMG_3522.jpeg

$23 at Local Thrift Store.
Appears to be Used Once
Some Sweet Extra Swag was Included.
Made 4 Months before I was Born in August of 1981.

**I have another just like it but not Peak 1. It's Special because I mowed Lawns all Summer to get it.
Was $40 and I made $15 to Mow and Had to save ~Half so I mowed 5X to get it.
Took it on a Canoe Trip to Adirondacks and thought I was Super Cool.
Here I am many Years Later, and I still think it's Super Cool.

Peak 1.jpeg

Peak 1 Manf Date.jpeg

Peak 1 Xtra Swag.jpeg

Peak 1 Papers.jpeg

I have Quite a Few of these to use Around the Fireplace - Nice Soft Light unlike a Coleman Lantern.
Great if the Power Goes out.
They burn a Long Time on $1 worth of Diesel or Kero.
I think this was a Great Deal at $8

New Dietz D-Lite.jpeg

Dietz Price.jpeg

Diets on Amazon.PNG

Been trying to track down a 502 single burner locally, but no luck so far. Might jump on that 533 sale.

I did dig my early 90's Campingaz single burner from Boy Scouts out from storage, only to discover Coleman bought the brand and the canisters are no longer available since ~2016. All new propane/butane canisters have a threaded top, but did find that the current Peak1 stove tops are really Campingaz valves hiding under some plastic covers, so bought one, pulled it apart, and now have my original burner on a new valve, fueled by readily available canisters. Cost effective, no. But sentimental to continue to use my first backpacking stove.

But in my hunt for a stove, I did find a '67 AMF Mil-spec lantern. So Coleman-adjacent? I have no need for this but thought it was neat, Vietnam-era, so why not add it to my growing collection.

PXL_20230502_192528146.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230502_192630758.PORTRAIT.jpg

And broken down a bit for cleaning while I wait for some fresh parts
PXL_20230504_213108501.jpg

Picked up a $15 craigslist 425D (1/65 mfg date).

It is sound and runs well with no pitting but some surface rust. Had a lot of calcified grease on it that took a fair amount of paint off. Also badly scorched aroung the main burner like any 425 that was actually used. Cleaned up case below without any agressive rust removal. Repaint green or clear coat over the patina?

tempImagewAj2xJ.png

Picked up a $15 craigslist 425D (1/65 mfg date).

It is sound and runs well with no pitting but some surface rust. Had a lot of calcified grease on it that took a fair amount of paint off. Also badly scorched aroung the main burner like any 425 that was actually used. Cleaned up case below without any agressive rust removal. Repaint green or clear coat over the patina?

View attachment 3319000
I've Repainted and Powder Coated them, but I'd Rock that Patina. Maybe give it a Coat of Wax.
If you look at the Sellers Mrkt Original condition goes highest (Fleabay) and they are Getting Expensive.

2005 Lexus GX470 (Land Cruiser Prado) Rear Door Panel - Even Room for the Spoon/Spatula

This must be that "Tailgating" that I hear about.

Coleman on GX470 Door.jpeg

Table for Door Gate.PNG

I've Repainted and Powder Coated them, but I'd Rock that Patina. Maybe give it a Coat of Wax.
If you look at the Sellers Mrkt Original condition goes highest (Fleabay) and they are Getting Expensive.

I like this one and plan for it to be a primary user. It feels like the sheet metal is thicker and the stove more solid than the later 425s. I ended up scrubbing the rust off as much as I could without removing more paint and hitting everything but the burner cups/caps/stacks and generator assy in clear coat engine enamel to keep the rust at bay. I think it turned out OK. Cleaned the generator out and put a new leather cup in.

1/65 425D

IMG_2389.JPG

I like this one and plan for it to be a primary user. It feels like the sheet metal is thicker and the stove more solid than the later 425s. I ended up scrubbing the rust off as much as I could without removing more paint and hitting everything but the burner cups/caps/stacks and generator assy in clear coat engine enamel to keep the rust at bay. I think it turned out OK. Cleaned the generator out and put a new leather cup in.

1/65 425D

View attachment 3321056
Good work!

I’ve found the scorching is mostly due to using too large a pot on the main burner at WOT.

I use smaller pots and pans with the 425’s

Good work!

I’ve found the scorching is mostly due to using too large a pot on the main burner at WOT.

I use smaller pots and pans with the 425’s

Agreed. Saving the 10"+ pans for the propane stove.

I find myself browsing CL for coleman stuff now... just picked up these three for $15 ea. Need new mantles and some cleaning, but they're in good shape other than a dent in one of the 220 caps and the usual paint missing off the bottom rims of the tanks. Two 220s and a 275.

IMG_2391.JPG

Last edited:
Agreed. Saving the 10"+ pans for the propane stove.

I find myself browsing CL for coleman stuff now... just picked up these three for $15 ea. Need new wicks and some cleaning, but they're in good shape other than a dent in one of the 220 caps and the usual paint missing off the bottom rims of the tanks. Two 220s and a 275.

View attachment 3323785
Is that an amber globe on the 275?

Took this 500 stove on it's maiden a few weeks back. I bought it from a neighbor, along with a lamp. He told me that both belonged to his grandparents who lived in South Dakota. The stove was their cooking source and the lamp was their light. Both were very well used and inoperable. I still need to apply cerakote to the bottom plate and burner, but it ran like a champ after a serious fettle. Had a 2 burner to do the bulk of the cooking.

20230428_201330.jpg

20230430_084723.jpg

Took this 500 stove on it's maiden a few weeks back. I bought it from a neighbor, along with a lamp. He told me that both belonged to his grandparents who lived in South Dakota. The stove was their cooking source and the lamp was their light. Both were very well used and inoperable. I still need to apply cerakote to the bottom plate and burner, but it ran like a champ after a serious fettle. Had a 2 burner to do the bulk of the cooking.

View attachment 3324228

View attachment 3324229
That is a cool looking waffle maker, who makes it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom