Builds The Clustertruck Rides Again - Refurbishing a 1975 Chevota (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks nice and sturdy, you might want to reconsider the wing nuts. I expect you have tools there when you are in the situation that a battery has to be changed therefore use normal or nylock nuts. The wing nuts will loosen during operation or they are impossible to loosen after xx heat cycles in the engine bay.

Looks nice and sturdy, you might want to reconsider the wing nuts. I expect you have tools there when you are in the situation that a battery has to be changed therefore use normal or nylock nuts. The wing nuts will loosen during operation or they are impossible to loosen after xx heat cycles in the engine bay.

I was actually reconsidering those tonight when I was installing them. The goal was to make it as “toolless” as possible to change out the battery if needed. On the side with the wing nuts I’ve got real estate for easy wrench access but I’ll admit the one toward the fender was a bitch to get snug. They’re on lock nuts so I don’t expect they’ll back off too readily but the heat cycle aspect is a definite concern.

I was kind of thinking the same thing you were - on the trail I normally bring tools, and around town I’d probably be able to find tools pretty readily.

The hold down would also include some adjustable spreaders that would “grab” the battery on the long sides, opposite of the tracks below. So I cut more grooves, drank more beers, and filed.

View attachment 2541420

Then, because I’m a glutton for punishment, I decided to try my hand in making something pretty, by hand...

View attachment 2541421

Came out ok - not perfect but better than I thought it would

View attachment 2541422

Then came handles, which would also serve as the “last line of defense” should the hold downs fail, to prevent the battery from winding up on the exhaust again...

View attachment 2541424

Then the ways/slide bottoms got tacked in. At this point it was starting to look like something...
View attachment 2541425
Have you discovered ultra thin discs for angle grinders? And flap discs?

both will make tasks like that much faster/easier.

I burned up an angle grinder in about 10 minutes trying to use 1/8” cutoff discs to cut sheet metal. With the ultra thin I’ve cut up 1/4” plate without any problems.

if you have already, I’m preaching to the choir. :D

Looks good... there’s nothing wrongly with some form rather than just function.

I burned up an angle grinder in about 10 minutes trying to use 1/8” cutoff discs to cut sheet metal. With the ultra thin I’ve cut up 1/4” plate without any problems.

Carefull with the thin discs, they are known to shatter when not used correctly. They don’t like to bend or twist.

A mill does wonders in these situations.😉

So true. The ones is been using recently are quite tough. I buy them a a flooring wholesaler... they have no selection, but what they do sell is excellent,

here’s some arts n’crafts I’ve been working on...
B434F048-559B-40C4-91BD-82257CBC9174.jpeg
4E688C6E-64F4-4E62-8100-96FD8D86831F.jpeg
599C5FAE-89AD-47AE-8570-92BB82F7617B.jpeg

And my new battery box for under the driver’s seat...
2FDB9E0E-3B87-4C46-8892-3B7809FB1E83.jpeg

Hoping it‘ll fit my 1050 CCA, 195 RC, battery. I’ll modify it if need be, but I’d rather not. But the battery will start a Semi, so it stays.

cutoff wheels?......psssh please.

20201214_110911.jpg

Yeah I have an assortment but I find myself going more and more to the thin wheels these days. The 1/8 discs were good for hacking off material but I find I have a lot more control with the thin discs. Most of this project, the 4” grinder had a flap disc or grinding stone on it. The slotting was done on a drill press, then cleaned up with 2 and 3” die grinder cut off wheels and hand filed to finish.

Carefull with the thin discs, they are known to shatter when not used correctly. They don’t like to bend or twist.

A mill does wonders in these situations.😉

A mill is very high on my list of wants, or a plasma table (or both) since it would make projects like this both faster and easier, but I am 100% out of space. A lathe would be helpful too.

Yeah the thin discs make me very nervous - but they are also the “right tool” for the job in a lot of cases. I have a friend who has a scar that runs from just below his lip to his forehead from a 6” cut off wheel that exploded. The only spot the line up his face is broken is where the safety glasses blocked the disc.

cutoff wheels?......psssh please.

View attachment 2541928

Can I run that off 110? Must be nice having access to all that! The most “advanced” tool I have is a mini bandsaw. Love how clean it cuts.

it has it's moments...shamed to admit i dont know how to run this one.
truth be told, i'm a big fan of the 6"X0.045" cutoff wheels...they are about all i use in the garage.

20201128_083809.jpg

20201128_084608.jpg

Pretty sure I use the same Sait wheels. Can’t remember the exact thickness - maybe 1/16? But they’re pretty thin an hold up pretty well.

Me neither - the grinder guards drive me insane 87% of the time but I haven’t taken them off. @brian is a professional.
It's amazing to me the folks who wouldn't dare play Russian Roulette, even if the cylinder could hold 24 rounds, yet will use a hand-held grinder (or any tool for that matter) without the guard.
That's 30 years as being a safety professional speaking.

It's amazing to me the folks who wouldn't dare play Russian Roulette, even if the cylinder could hold 24 rounds, yet will use a hand-held grinder (or any tool for that matter) without the guard.
That's 30 years as being a safety professional speaking.

B9ABBA89-760F-4F29-99A9-3648059F98CB.jpeg

I like working alone, less distractions but also no one around to help me when things go wrong.
Therefore I believe it is better to use at least the minimum safety precautions.

I like working alone, less distractions but also no one around to help me when things go wrong.
Therefore I believe it is better to use at least the minimum safety precautions.
My uncle sold his ‘84, five speed, P/S, Bj42... after a neighbour had a shop accident. They had an arrangement to swap vehicles if he needed a pickup truck. The neighbor, working alone, had an engine fall on him... I’m not sure what went wrong, but by the time he was found it was too late. So... always be careful!
Years back I worked at a company that had their own mechanics. The head mechanic always kept his phone in his breast pocket in case he got caught stuck. He also checked in regularly with any mechanics that were working alone... just to be safe. Do what you have to to stay safe. I enjoy wrenching and fabrication... almost always do it alone so I understand.

Have a safe 2021 and be smart.

My uncle sold his ‘84, five speed, P/S, Bj42... after a neighbour had a shop accident. They had an arrangement to swap vehicles if he needed a pickup truck. The neighbor, working alone, had an engine fall on him... I’m not sure what went wrong, but by the time he was found it was too late. So... always be careful!
Years back I worked at a company that had their own mechanics. The head mechanic always kept his phone in his breast pocket in case he got caught stuck. He also checked in regularly with any mechanics that were working alone... just to be safe. Do what you have to to stay safe. I enjoy wrenching and fabrication... almost always do it alone so I understand.

Have a safe 2021 and be smart.
Its just more efficient.😉

I won’t recount it here in great detail but Ive definitely had a couple of “eye opening” incidents...

The first was when the engine crane hydraulic failed as I was pulling the 283 out of the FJ40. Luckily they failed slowly and my father in law and I weren’t under it.

The second was when I was getting ready to paint my welding cart and found a weld I missed. I was in a hurry and wasn’t thinking - My dumb ass decided to try and weld up the missed spot while the cart was sitting on a drop cloth covered in solvent/paint prep. The cart, the drop cloth, and my leg were on fire the second I sparked the bead, and before I knew what was happening because the welding mask was down and I couldn’t see the flames. Wound up with some really nasty burns on my ankle/shin.

I got the fire out fairly quickly but all of this happened about 5ft away from my (fueled up) lawnmower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom