chevota help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i’ve only run this engine for 4 months and the distributor was brand new.
never discount the new distributor. I’ve had brand new out of the box units fail. The parts stores are flooded with inferior products.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

sorry. don’t get me wrong. the advice is sound and taken. i just have to “start” somewhere. i think its more of a fuel issue but yes for sure ill go through ignition if the pump doesn’t fix it.

What carb are you using.?
Maybe it doesn’t like all that fresh Saskatchewan air. Haha just teasing.
missed your post originally. i have a edelbrock performer carb. this isn’t seeing steep hills or angles where i play for now so its what i had when this engine came out of my chevelle

it’s been rebuilt to stock specs. i could probably play with needles and jets a little but it was running fine and isnt now. those would be more fine tuning items. i want to fix this issue first. i’ll be home tomorrow and see if i can get a new pump monday

missed your post originally. i have a edelbrock performer carb. this isn’t seeing steep hills or angles where i play for now so its what i had when this engine came out of my chevelle

it’s been rebuilt to stock specs. i could probably play with needles and jets a little but it was running fine and isnt now. those would be more fine tuning items. i want to fix this issue first. i’ll be home tomorrow and see if i can get a new pump monday
Those carbs work pretty good right out of the box. And even rebuilt and just cleaned up. I just sent the one off of my gen 1 one out to my dad in Sask to put on one of his grain trucks taking the Holley off of it. I did have minor heat soak on mine but not bad I put the Holley heat Shield setup under my Edelbrock it is an aluminum plate shield then a gasket then a aluminum plate then gasket then plate then gasket it works but who knows I also put the spring loaded needle and seat into my eldelbrodk but after years of stalling in off camber I shelved it and went to the Rochester. But loved the edelbrock it would work good ripping around SASK. did you go hard line from fuel pump to carb. I had to toss the rubber hose and go hard line up to carb also. New pump may do the trick. Cheers.

i havent gone hard line but will consider it. this exact set up was in my chevelle for 20 years and never had a problem. i pulled the engine because i had a lifter go bad and took a lobe of the cam. it was $500 more to get a built 383 from my engine guys than to have them rebuild this one. my life often has less time than i need in a pinch so instead of rebuilding it myself i bought a 383 and then had this sitting in my shop . at a time when time was available my son and i rebuilt it and then red fell in our laps so we thought what the heck let’s use it in here!! it was supposed to be a direct 350 to 350 swap but snowballs happen!! that’s what brings up here today with a full driveline swap and rewire!!

i guarantee my cap isn’t causing the problem. it barely stays on at the best of time 🤣

i rigged up a temp fuel pressure gauge. i’m going to see what my fuel pressure is doing when it starts acting up. that’ll tell me if i buy a new pump or distributor module. this dizzy only has 4 months on it so it’d suck to have it be bad but who knows!!
IMG_7950.jpeg

now i just have to wait for my son (co pilot) to be free to drive with me and tell me what the gauge says! i dont have enough hose to get it into the cab 😂

k so pretty sure it’s a fuel delivery problem. my gauge would read 6 psi idling and as i drive it drops and a minute or two after it hits 0 it starts to act up. when i stop it’ll climb back to 6 psi. as i drive down to 0 again and starts to surge.

so two options now…

1) fuel pump not keeping up. is this something that could be real in a mechanical pump? or do they either work or don’t?

2) something blocking fuel in my tank? i have an in line clear filter. it seems like i have lots of fuel flow but is there a fuel sock inside these tanks that might be collapsing at higher fuel use? i dont really want to pull my tank to find that it’s just an empty tube leaving the tank.

suggestions?

it would have to be something intermittent though as i can see good fuel flow through the filter which is well more than the engine needs to run. i’m going to try a new pump. if that doesn’t solve it i guess the tank will have to come out

Blow compressed air back into the tank from the pump side to see id the hard lines in the tank are partially clogged. Mine did that and starved it for fuel but idled fine.

dang it! i bought what i was sure was the exact pump i had!! guess i was wrong

the fittings are the wrong size. guess i’ll have to get new ones tomorrow. this is exactly what i was trying to avoid by buying the more expensive pump! oh well. one more day

IMG_7984.jpeg

not sure there’s enough room between pump and frame for more adapters. they’ll be the same price and new barbed hose ends so i’ll just replace. this pump can be clocked though so if i need more space i’ll do that. i just hoped for a simple swap but nope nothing can be that easy can it!! 🙄

oh well. it’ll soon be time here for my chevelle to come out. then i’ll tear into this guy again. i’ve got some leaky wheel cylinders and i want to add mini truck power steering. some summer projects!

new fittings in and pump clocked to allow a little extra room from the frame. i also ran the new rubber line inside the frame to protect it and keep it further from the exhaust so there shouldn’t be any vapour lock possible. fuel pressure was 6psi at idle (not that thats new). il’ll give it a proper road test tomorrow when i have daylight and report back. the new pump is definitely bigger than the old one so hopefully that’ll help with volumes too!

dang it. still happening The fuel pump did not fix the problem so it’s probably something stuck inside my tank. I’ll have to drop that now.

Blow compressed air back into the tank from the pump side to see id the hard lines in the tank are partially clogged. Mine did that and starved it for fuel but idled fine.
ding 🛎️ ding 🛎️ ding 🛎️!!!

so i pulled the line off and fuel started running into my jerry can then all of a sudden nothing. line is plugged. so i blew compressed air in and heard a pop in the tank and fuel is running again. so i’m draining the tank and will let it evaporate for a day or so. then ill try vacuuming it out. i’ll blast more air up the line too when it’s empty. theres something in there getting stuck in the outflow
image.jpg
image.jpg

looking at the photo of the baffles inside i wonder if ill actually be able to vacuum it out. maybe i should pull the tank and get it properly flushed.

Last edited:
I’d be even cautious about vacuuming fumes out of a fuel tank. I have a friend who took photos for the police of the scene where well ventilated tanks exploded… something she can’t un-see.

Do you have access to a bore scope?

pulled the tank last night and drained it. it was surprisingly clean but there were a few pieces of old gasket maker and a few small pebbles 🤔. i also wonder if the fuel line was getting kinked coming out of the tank and through the floor so i address all those issues. now it’s running at 60mph up hill into a wind today and i have a constant 6psi. it’s running properly again. here’s hoping that i got everything out of the tank!!

thanks for all the suggestion. they’ve been very helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom