Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Support is out and inner RHS rear rocker is just about all cleaned up.

BE623377-6B0D-4482-941A-298BF40273D3.jpeg
E4AABB8C-8BAC-494F-BC8D-05CEDA25908C.jpeg
84C35BD4-E8F7-47A8-B732-7F912224FF3F.jpeg
3754491A-542C-447C-9ACD-08E320407E3C.jpeg
EC5EEB4A-36EE-4D8A-91AC-8601E2FDFD5B.jpeg

Cheers

Have you ever tried Ospho to neutralize rust? I have used this and it works VERY well!

I have not used that yet Scott. I have used other similar products. Best thing I have found to kill rust is molasses.

I don’t want anything on any surfaces I am welding though besides weld through primer. So any rust treatment or sealing up will have to come after.

Cheers

great build, did I miss what color this is going to be?

As of right now, Toyota 045 white.

Yeah, white is cool on Troopies (mine's white), but hell, they're ALL white. lol.... This build could be ANY color. Because no one asked, and few people probably want my (completely unsolicited opinion), I put together a little list of interesting options:

The safe choices, original and period-correct, all very nice on Troopies:

045 white
4E9 beige
6H9 green

Or how about this later model Troopy original color? A BOLD choice, for the man with self-confidence:
old hzj green euro color.jpg

Or how about some old 40-series colors:

cadet blue 40 series color.jpg

Cadet Blue

heath gray fj40 color.jpg

Heath Gray

There's a whole assortment of very nice colors for old 40's that would look great. The above are but two of them.

Or, way outside of the box thinking, how about some contemporary colors?

Subaru has Desert Khaki and Cool Blue Khaki on their Crosstrek models. Nice, Troopy-appropriate colors.

Or Toyota Army Green, or that blue they use on FJ Cruisers (not the Smurf one) Cavalry Blue? Classic Blue? I forget the name.

Or this, new on the RAV4:

rav4 lunar rock.gif

Lunar Rock, they call it. I've seen it in person--nice. Gray-er than the photo.

Or white.

Yeah, white is cool on Troopies (mine's white), but hell, they're ALL white. lol.... This build could be ANY color. Because no one asked, and few people probably want my (completely unsolicited opinion), I put together a little list of interesting options:

045 white
4E9 beige
6H9 green

Or how about this later model Troopy original color? A BOLD choice, for the man with self-confidence:
View attachment 2186338

View attachment 2186339
Cadet Blue

View attachment 2186343
Heath Gray

There's a whole assortment of very nice colors for old 40's that would look great. The above are but two of them.

Subaru has Desert Khaki and Cool Blue Khaki on their Crosstrek models. Nice, Troopy-appropriate colors.

Or Toyota Army Green, or that blue they use on FJ Cruisers (not the Smurf one) Cavalry Blue? Classic Blue? I forget the name.

View attachment 2186350

Or white.

The only other color I'm seriously considering is sandy taupe, 4E9.
Reasoning for a subdued color;

- It won't stand out in 3rd world countries
- I, personally, like the black trim on a white body look (no, not a Star Wars fan)
- I also like Sandy Taupe and black
- It was previously white from the factory
- Very easy to touchup
- I'm not really a fan of any other color on a giant, square box, lego brick, Troopy. My opinion.

Those other colors are pretty nice. I like the Rav4 color, just not for this vehicle. 👍

045 white
4E9 beige
6H9 green

View attachment 2186338

View attachment 2186339
Cadet Blue

View attachment 2186343
Heath Gray

View attachment 2186350

Or white.
If you have a ppg code for cadet blue please post it. I really like the Heath gray as well and think that would look awesome on this build

If you have a ppg code for cadet blue please post it. I really like the Heath gray as well and think that would look awesome on this build

That is a good one too.
Who knows, I might end up going with something other than white or sandy. Once the metalwork on the body is done, I'll put some solid thought into an official final color.

ASPW's first Troopy color is very tempting too.

Ser3Ep12.jpg

Last edited:
I'm paraphrasing, but I know he said something to this effect in one of his "Picking a color", for his Troopy vids.

Not sure if it was his First or Second. I'm thinking his Second.

"A white Troopy looks like an ambulance. I don't want to look like an ambulance driving down the road".

~ASPW

Also, I love this thread. Thanks to SNLC and TonyP for sharing.

That is a good one too.
Who knows, I might end up going with something other than white or sandy. Once the metalwork on the body is done, I'll put some solid thought into an official final color.

ASPW's first Troopy color is very tempting too.

Ser3Ep12.jpg

Not sure how international you plan on traveling... but there are countries out there that won’t allow that paint color on civilian-driven vehicles. It’s too “military-ish”.

some people choose to paint it in bold colors or custom wrap it so if something happens it's easy to find.

I'm paraphrasing, but I know he said something to this effect in one of his "Picking a color", for his Troopy vids.

Not sure if it was his First or Second. I'm thinking his Second.

"A white Troopy looks like an ambulance. I don't want to look like an ambulance driving down the road".

~ASPW

Also, I love this thread. Thanks to SNLC and TonyP for sharing.

Ambulance = very little hassle in the 3rd world.

Having driven to Panama and back more than three times myself, Tony is totally on the right track with color choice although I would avoid any OD green type colors myself. Grey is questionable as well to me. Don’t want to be thought as military in a lot of countries.

Cheers

Ambulance = very little hassle in the 3rd world.

Having driven to Panama and back more than three times myself, Tony is totally on the right track with color choice although I would avoid any OD green type colors myself. Grey is questionable as well to me. Don’t want to be thought as military in a lot of countries.

Cheers

Agreed.

Two different types of builds... ASPW, needs to stand out as his builds and videos are his source of income.

As @TonyP and you mentioned, TonyP doesn't want or need to stand out.

Not sure how international you plan on traveling... but there are countries out there that won’t allow that paint color on civilian-driven vehicles. It’s too “military-ish”.

Pretty much as international as I can get.
Full time on the road by 2025 is the vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom