The 80 series as the Benchmark for the new 300 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Azca

If there is a harder way - I will find it...
Threads
I'm willing to bet these blogger whatever dudes read up on ih8 for 80 series topics (as they smartly should)... a while back someone else echoed my original posit that the 80 series is the 993 Porsche of Land Cruiser land. :D

From over a week ago:

Things like this are proven rather than claimed. It's really hard to know how the 300 series will do in the real world for off-road performance and reliability. Only time will tell. That said, you can bet people were sceptical of the 80 series when it came out, comparing it to the 60 series and talking about style over substance, and going for more comfort over off-road reliability. Still, just like the 80 series, not too many people are going to drop the kind of money these things demand new, then immediately take it into really rough off-roading. 95% of them are going to be cruising down to the mall and getting waxed every weekend for years, just like it would have been for the 80 series when it came out. In my opinion, it's much easier getting a 4x4 as a second or third owner, then you don't feel the pain or guilt knowing the original purchase price every time you put a new scratch or dent in it on the trail.

Last edited:
It looks good. I hope it performs well.
But imo it's still a large ask (not just money-wise) for typical classic LC owners to buy in to, for a variety of valid reasons probably.

95% of them are going to be cruising down to the mall and getting waxed every weekend for years, just like it would have been for the 80 series when it came out.

Agree with the jist of what you’re saying, but at least here in Aus I can remember 80 series cruisers being purchased and used in the outback/farms etc pretty early on.

The original 80s were pretty poor (3FE) and got a lot of deserved criticism, but by the mid 90s they were very well loved. In fact the 200 series probably got the most negative attention when released

I’ve seen a little of the 300 series promotional videos, and it seems to me they are straining a bit to much for credibility, when over 50% of the video touts their past models. Frankly I laughed out loud when taking about weight efficiencies in the 300 series frame due to their “expert welders” (robots) !!!

Agree with the jist of what you’re saying, but at least here in Aus I can remember 80 series cruisers being purchased and used in the outback/farms etc pretty early on.

The original 80s were pretty poor (3FE) and got a lot of deserved criticism, but by the mid 90s they were very well loved. In fact the 200 series probably got the most negative attention when released

Yep. I was working regional Queensland in 1990. Saw many 80 series getting dirty and hauling farm trailers etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom