The 60 Has Cancer :( (RUST ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today.. when i was looking over the 60.. taking photos of the it and it's problems.. i stumbled across some more rust :(

I will post all of the photos of the rust i have taken ( and more will come )

RustandRepairs01.jpg

This is an Angle that sits in the corners of the rear Chassis, surface rust only i hope..

RustandRepairs02.jpg

This is the visible from the Front Right Wheel arch.. and is on the chassis rail / engine mount.

RustandRepairs03.jpg

Same as Above

RustandRepairs04.jpg

Same as Above

RustandRepairs05.jpg

Same as Above

RustandRepairs06.jpg

The Left Hand side of the same location as the above 4 photos.

RustandRepairs07.jpg

The Roof - There is only a bit of Rust like this

RustandRepairs08.jpg

Front Right Wheel Arch ( the Rubber protection has coem of over time )

RustandRepairs09.jpg

As Above

RustandRepairs10.jpg

Right hand Chassis Rail @ the Front

RustandRepairs11.jpg

Same as Above

There is also a number of other locations that i will have to take photos of..

Guys.... my dad has had the 60 for 21 years since new.. and it was also the car i was brought home.. in .. thus the first ever car i was in..

I really would appreciate advice on this.. i really would like to keep the 60 and restore it to the condition it should be.. but i don't know if i realise the cost involved and the time and effort it will require...

Awaiting your Opinions and Comments..

MYTANK

cancer? i don't see any cancer. the comon cold or the flu at worst.

everything i saw( i did'nt wait for all the pics to load, dialup and all....) on the frame was just surface rust, that would easily come off with a wire brush.
the driprail looks scary, but i don't think you have a hole yet....yet,,,,that needs attention now...now or you will have a nasty problem.

Thankyou for your reply Brian!

I plan to drive the 60 onto some stands ( so it's sitting at an angle and work my way over the undercarriage removing the rust and replacing suspension parts..

the Driprail.. well that does worry me, more so now that you have said it could turn into something worse!

What would you suggest i do to fix this section ( i'm capable with a grinder, the MIG and most tools )

put a wire wheel on the grinder and have a go at it.
if it cleans up, prime and paint it.
if it opens up holes, cut them out, actually a decent section around the bad spot.
i would then try to find a wrecked or otherwise junked 60 and cut a section out of that roof. then glue it back in.

brian said:
put a wire wheel on the grinder and have a go at it.
if it cleans up, prime and paint it.
if it opens up holes, cut them out, actually a decent section around the bad spot.
i would then try to find a wrecked or otherwise junked 60 and cut a section out of that roof. then glue it back in.

yep all that looks easy to work with post up pics.... por the crap outa the frame and have some fun

take a lcheapo blaster one of these days with very little psi and blast the undercarriage ,taping off lines anything that might get hurt.just keep the pressure down.i got one off ebay a year ago for 20 bucks perfect for something like your job.

give your Dad hell for not oiling it when he bought it....

Take a hammer and knock off the frame stuff. Use a wire wheel or wire brush. clean it all up and paint.

Yeah thas not much compared to my sad 87 FJ-60 that has spent its entire life in NJ. It is actually amazing that the 60 are SO POOR with keeping rust at bay!

Zack

Alright Guys.. firstly.. the roof repairs and that might have to wait for a few weeks ( Exams ) but.. i am in the process of getting dad to get a Compressor with a Sandblaster attatchment..

I still have to get more pics of the Rust.. but trust me there is more..

I was talking to dad about it and well.. it's either i spend money fixing it myself or he sells it.. and it being the first car i was EVER in it's special to say the least!

Brian: The chassis rails and what not are not going to be hard, just time consuming and they are something i hope to do very soon :) - After Exams

kling-on: Yeah.. it should be easy enough, what do you mean by POR the frame ?

Cruiser88: Yeah i plan to do that as stated above :)

Brownbear: Don't worry.... i give him a nice hit in the arm everytime we start talking about the car for not looking it after it in a better fashion.

Zack: Yeah .. NJ ? New Jersey i'm guessing.. ( I'm an Aussie ) I guess if a cruiser isn't garaged or cleaned after activity it will eventually develop ( Rust )

Pics will come tommorow i hope as i'll have the car for the day :)

MYTANK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom