The 4x6 expo trailer build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Planning out a spare tire support on the front triangle for offroad clearance. It’s currently under the bottom of the trailer. Also in case, maybe if I get a set of swampers in the 35” tallness size. This would allow me to haul dedicated off road tires to weekend events.

Thinking to make the tire supports come off, however it is more fuss. Thoughts, welcome.
659C7C46-7141-4A4C-9EFD-822E89F0715C.jpeg
0F2EC317-CAFC-4686-B422-4953B4983D9E.jpeg

One of the first things that I do when I have to move the TrailBlazer around the yard by hand is remove the tongue mounted spare. It is a significant part of the tongue weight.

I get wanting all of the tires to be the same size, but from experience I think that tires larger than 33 have no place being on a trailer. And even those are borderline too big. That same trailer that has too much tongue weight with the spare on it unbeknownst to me once went almost 400 miles with 5psi in the tires. When they get that big the whole thing is headed towards unstable. I now run it on 31's and they work just fine.

One of the first things that I do when I have to move the TrailBlazer around the yard by hand is remove the tongue mounted spare. It is a significant part of the tongue weight.

I get wanting all of the tires to be the same size, but from experience I think that tires larger than 33 have no place being on a trailer. And even those are borderline too big. That same trailer that has too much tongue weight with the spare on it unbeknownst to me once went almost 400 miles with 5psi in the tires. When they get that big the whole thing is headed towards unstable. I now run it on 31's and they work just fine.
I wasn’t very clear. I use 33’s on the trailer and the trailer spare goes underneath 90% of the time. My 35’s are for the land cruiser and weekend wheeling. Dropping one 35 on the front is the only way I figure I can use the trailer to haul all 5 tires to the trail locations.

Ah!

Obviously it will increase the tongue weight. That's likely not a bad thing.
Why angled? Could it be stood up straight and pushed back against the fuel jugs? If it could I'd be inclined to repeat some of what I built here (which is a 315/75R16):

i-hLr73Mv-XL.jpg

Ah!

Obviously it will increase the tongue weight. That's likely not a bad thing.
Why angled? Could it be stood up straight and pushed back against the fuel jugs? If it could I'd be inclined to repeat some of what I built here (which is a 315/75R16):

i-hLr73Mv-XL.jpg
Laid down, well no particular reason I guess. I’ll play with straight up and see where a lower cage might mount on the front. I’ve got money in the strap and I would want to keep that. I would make a top support to keep the tire off the tanks.

@cmck what hubs do you use on your trailer? I recently purchased a Morris Mule knock-off that has the Timbren 3500lb Axle-less suspension. I was nervous about the 3500lb rating as I'll likely never exceed 1400lbs. But, Timbren assured me it was fine. The trailer had the Northern Tool 1750lb hubs. I put on the 1" adapters to convert from 5x4.5 to 5x150 so I could run my 33" tire/wheel combo. One of the hubs grenaded less than 300 miles later. I hadn't even added any significant weight to the trailer as I hadn't moved over the RTT or the awning setup. I finally was able to remove the hub with concerted effort (bearing carrier was wedged at an angle against the castle nut and the cotter pin was broken on the ends leaving just some debris in the pass-through hole). The bearings were completely gone (as in not even anywhere to be found) along with the carriers and the races were fused to the spindle. I had to order a new spindle from Timbren and am trying to figure out what hubs to go with (no brakes). I pulled the grease cap off the other hub and noticed the grease is a little "silvery" which looks to me like maybe those bearings are sloughing off. Northern Tool told me that their hubs (even the 1750lb rated ones) aren't really designed for off-road or big tires. The entire point of this trailer is to take it on road trips.

56770743_10217848516992011_4218757203026247680_n.jpg

@cmck what hubs do you use on your trailer? I recently purchased a Morris Mule knock-off that has the Timbren 3500lb Axle-less suspension. I was nervous about the 3500lb rating as I'll likely never exceed 1400lbs. But, Timbren assured me it was fine. The trailer had the Northern Tool 1750lb hubs. I put on the 1" adapters to convert from 5x4.5 to 5x150 so I could run my 33" tire/wheel combo. One of the hubs grenaded less than 300 miles later. I hadn't even added any significant weight to the trailer as I hadn't moved over the RTT or the awning setup. I finally was able to remove the hub with concerted effort (bearing carrier was wedged at an angle against the castle nut and the cotter pin was broken on the ends leaving just some debris in the pass-through hole). The bearings were completely gone (as in not even anywhere to be found) along with the carriers and the races were fused to the spindle. I had to order a new spindle from Timbren and am trying to figure out what hubs to go with (no brakes). I pulled the grease cap off the other hub and noticed the grease is a little "silvery" which looks to me like maybe those bearings are sloughing off. Northern Tool told me that their hubs (even the 1750lb rated ones) aren't really designed for off-road or big tires. The entire point of this trailer is to take it on road trips.

View attachment 1956189
First off that's a great looking combo you got there! I do not know what hub i have. I bought both the axles and hubs from etrailer over the phone. I had the rep walk me through exactly what I needed. I have only pulled it maybe 60 miles at this point but I basically have the same setup you do with the adapters and tires, no brakes. Wish I could give more detail, but it may be worth a call to etrailer. Their prices couldnt be beaten either so maybe just buy what you need to work with your timbren through them.

View attachment 1956189
Let me look it up.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom