The 4x6 expo trailer build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The cargo box is starting to go on. Also here’s a shot of the tongue supports and the tailight opened up a bit more to actually go in and come back out. I put a hole behind the light so that you can poke in something to push it out. I’m planning something similar on the side lights.
F5371079-57C0-4C0E-9622-AC9BA5AD591F.jpeg

5347727E-1CC8-4586-9797-FA1B23FC1E48.jpeg

4D36DDC9-25D8-4AD1-AA95-718EB6AC31D6.jpeg

55D0BED0-C818-4253-A69B-AAC682E7379A.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s the consensus “drain holes” or “no drain” holes? Most of the tubes are welded already. I’m betting there are pin holes.

I especially like the bike in the box still hanging from the roof!
It’s back from college.
Tacked up the rest of the cargo box last night. Lots of details left, will focus on getting it street legal 1st.
9B991C90-C73E-4795-A95E-5206D38C0AF5.jpeg

92473027-73BB-461E-ACF4-6230A2500EC6.jpeg

Reactions: YMT
Next comes some more welding, more griding and thinking about the sheet metal and the tire winch. I’m taking a play from the @reevesci playbook and using my removed 100 series spare tire winch underneath to hold the spare. I’ll also add a mount on the front for an optional high clearance location. I also plan to haul wheeling tires to the trail. The up front location is also one more spot for a tire to go.

Taking the weekend off for a Gotham City Land Cruiser event.

Progress looks good! I've made some headway on mine, just making boxes currently, haha.
Quick question, when mounting the suspension do you put the center of the wheel where you want it and then bolt the timbren in place wherever that puts it, or do you want the center of the timbren mount to be the foCal point and let it put the wheel further toward the back?

Progress looks good! I've made some headway on mine, just making boxes currently, haha.
Quick question, when mounting the suspension do you put the center of the wheel where you want it and then bolt the timbren in place wherever that puts it, or do you want the center of the timbren mount to be the foCal point and let it put the wheel further toward the back?
I located the whole thing based on the axle location, no different than a traditional axle.

The instructions said that as well. That said there a a number of schools of thought on to the rear and how much. I went dead center on the frame. I knew that my tongue weight would be pretty good based on my construction. I also do the full size mock up. I also have a cargo box and can adjust the load also.

One other comment is I have an on the road tongue extension planned as well.

I located the whole thing based on the axle location, no different than a traditional axle.

The instructions said that as well. That said there a a number of schools of thought on to the rear and how much. I went dead center on the frame. I knew that my tongue weight would be pretty good based on my construction. I also do the full size mock up. I also have a cargo box and can adjust the load also.

One other comment is I have an on the road tongue extension planned as well.
Gotcha, that makes sense. I'm going to have 4 jerry cans and an HD tongue box so I'm planning to cheat forward of the 60/40 rule, too. Thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to seeing how well the timbren suspension performs!

Gotcha, that makes sense. I'm going to have 4 jerry cans and an HD tongue box so I'm planning to cheat forward of the 60/40 rule, too. Thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to seeing how well the timbren suspension performs!
Me too! I jumped up and down on the frame, but I can’t say I learned much.
I planning to wire my lights, weld the tacked in stuff and get it inspected as is. This way I can take it for measurments to the folks who are doing the bends in sheet metal tub and fenders.

I want a flat top on the fender, like counter space. Then, paint I guess. I haven’t thought too far ahead.

Two mile stones today, the trailer is registered and has been wired.
E0DFFE33-6CB5-4879-9FD4-89F03064DBAE.jpeg

0E28DD38-6248-4B9B-B90F-CC14346C09A4.jpeg

NYS trailer inspection happens tomorrow!

I’m officially legal! It took a bit longer cause the guy wanted to talk welding.
FAD99A4F-4885-4320-9261-848AD5436C0F.jpeg

Took a day off, then got back at it today cause rust never sleeps. Seriously it is so humid, flash rust was been a bother. I went away from weld thru primer and I coat the bare metal right away with etching primer and just grind it off before welding. I was getting splatter from the weld thru if I didn’t grind it off so why pay the higher cost.

I welded on the stabilizers, then jacked up the trailer and took off the wheels. I’m beefing up the support for the Timbren, as I always intended. I had just left it to be completed later.
9CBFE564-0B55-4ADD-9F9E-51C0AC8C7366.jpeg

6122FA83-742F-4013-8B24-8797E93E0E0B.jpeg

And more grinding.......always more grinding. In this case want to make room for the tailgate in the corner.
346B3FF2-2484-426D-8FEC-323910794505.jpeg

Took a day off, then got back at it today cause rust never sleeps. Seriously it is so humid, flash rust was been a bother. I went away from weld thru primer and I coat the bare metal right away with etching primer and just grind it off before welding. I was getting splatter from the weld thru if I didn’t grind it off so why pay the higher cost.

I welded on the stabilizers, then jacked up the trailer and took off the wheels. I’m beefing up the support for the Timbren, as I always intended. I had just left it to be completed later.
View attachment 1715480
View attachment 1715478
And more grinding.......always more grinding. In this case want to make room for the tailgate in the corner.
View attachment 1715479
This is so fun to follow along. You're several steps ahead, but we're on the same sheet of music! Where are your jacks from? What's their max extension height? I bought some at harbor freight but you have to weld the weld-on bracket to the jack...not sure about that one as the entire thing is powder coated - and really thin metal. Might return and go with what you've got!

I’ll send over the model and number. I think the overall is 26”. I’ll measure that as well.

These have the side crank and are have the mount welded on the jack already. All you do is take out the inner mount, flip it for clearance and weld it on the frame. I made them plumb to the frame first.

Here the model number in the photo. It measures at max 30 1/2” from the floor to the center of the weld on mount.
6FFEB8C8-82AB-4FDA-8A81-BDC7029DC6AD.jpeg

Fender mock up........ 22” on top, 10” on the second slope and 5” on the final vertical face. I’m thinking an upper frame and two posts off the frame.
638E03A7-03E0-406A-A180-9853DDD9C989.jpeg

Took the trailer to the fabricator who is bending the cargo box sheet metal. I’m making progress.

I noticed the rear lights are about the same height as on the land cruiser, which seems like a nice visual tie in.
AE044CC9-D2B1-4A39-B852-F3363065F3AA.jpeg

I used the spare tire winch from the 100 series to put the tire underneath for the road portion of my travels. I feel great to have used a part I just had sitting around. I also ordered a soft top cover from a company near me in upstate.
9F0C224D-1C40-490C-96C0-E169E3F1D5FC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom