The 4x6 expo trailer build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I drilled all holes to mount the inside cargo rails. Welded up some fitted caps for the top of the tailgate side posts. I used a bit of the left over 1x3 and keep the rounded off look. Also welded in the top spare tire holder supports on before I cover the interior with sheet metal. I’ll add the actual removable upper tire mount later.
F9F75C90-296E-4F0D-B9B4-3DE4366BF32E.jpeg

40E38D11-A1A0-4AD9-95F7-B1510E72337D.jpeg

990A01BD-12E3-48BF-8B24-3717CF28FE5C.jpeg

Tonight, after work I did more grinding of the inner weld joint, to allow the sheet metal to come up tight to the top rail. Also smoothed out the rear post covers show in the photo above. Next big push will be to bend then attach the fenders and prototype the cable tent lift. That will confirm the design and let me order the sheaves and shafts.

I'm interested in seeing how you do your tent lift. I have one on my with a 50 lbs. gas shock to assist in lifting with pop-pins for locking in the down and up positions. I used telescoping square tubing and it's a pain sliding that thing up and down. It won't travel either direction evenly so you need two people to make it function smoothly, otherwise I end up walking back and forth a few times to get it in position.

I'm interested in seeing how you do your tent lift. I have one on my with a 50 lbs. gas shock to assist in lifting with pop-pins for locking in the down and up positions. I used telescoping square tubing and it's a pain sliding that thing up and down. It won't travel either direction evenly so you need two people to make it function smoothly, otherwise I end up walking back and forth a few times to get it in position.
I was going down the same route but a mechanical engineer friend said it would bind. I’m now making it a cable lift modeled after a commercial camper pop up. I’ll be working up some full size prototypes ASAP. My clearances are wide, like 3/8” to allow for cables and I plan to work in hdpe spacers and back off if it binds. The one thing I have going for this design is that it pushes up directly under the tube.

I’ll keep you posted.;)

I had a few tense moments as I dove into the fender bending. I had the sheet metal folded on the edges for rigidity by a shop nearby. I made a pattern to figure out the bend angles.
33240254-8AA2-4AB9-A261-65E668DFD9A6.jpeg

DC72F2F2-A5EF-4429-A651-DE44D17DAA3F.jpeg

E24892B0-9E48-4711-B21B-67DA04B0ED1A.jpeg

Reactions: YMT
Trailer is looking great! I started one as well around the same time as you and plan to start a thread soon on my build. Mine is very similar in size and look to yours but of course different in many aspects as well. I really like how you have integrated your lights and spare tire. Your welding has come a long way too, as has mine since weld #1. Thankfully most of mine are hidden or ground smooth now...

Not sure about you, but I greatly under-estimated the time that it would take to complete it. A lot of lessons learned along the way, both learned from others, and self taught. Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated throughout your build and not being afraid to admit when something didn't go right.

Trailer is looking great! I started one as well around the same time as you and plan to start a thread soon on my build. Mine is very similar in size and look to yours but of course different in many aspects as well. I really like how you have integrated your lights and spare tire. Your welding has come a long way too, as has mine since weld #1. Thankfully most of mine are hidden or ground smooth now...

Not sure about you, but I greatly under-estimated the time that it would take to complete it. A lot of lessons learned along the way, both learned from others, and self taught. Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated throughout your build and not being afraid to admit when something didn't go right.
Hey, thanks for following along. I too underestimated the effort by a factor of 3.

I also have a deadline (it’s moved once) so I’m not really taking a break. I have enjoyed the challenge of learning new materials and methods.

So far, it a project of firsts which makes it slow going. As an example my 1st fender took 5 hours. My 2nd fender will come in at around 2.5 hours or less.

I put the fender in place and welded the coped corners. My next fender is cut to length and ready for bending on the morrow. :) I have decided to bolt/fasten them on rather than weld the sheet metal. I will need to add some backing and find the right fasteners.
BA9A1701-17A5-48B3-B75C-56BAD2F5B11B.jpeg

I welded up the mounts for this fender. I bent the other fender, tacked on the mounts and coped the corners. It’s ready to be mounted and the copes welded in place to lock in the shape. I also have to make a license plate mount and run the wires some how.

I painted the chassis today and the fenders. However, it was so hot the fender paint was not flowing it dryed to fast.
FB9DB378-1D66-4604-8FF6-3346E50F1E67.jpeg

10FFF2E4-4100-4E5C-87DD-0BB0ED06EB89.jpeg

Crap what do you do when you run out of shielding gas on a holiday......:popcorn:

You get up at 5:30am before work and make a paint booth out in the garage.

Also after work get some gas! I made a license plate bracket out of my fender cut offs. I like how it turned out.
882BA8AA-5968-4658-AE46-D24D48CB8A8B.jpeg

Time is getting short, I have to leave after work Wednesday on a three day camping trip. I just started the lift tonight. Hmmmmm, got some long nights coming up.
1BE6D578-2602-4B28-9C9A-5907895BDB89.jpeg

Fenders check, Tonneau cover check, paint nope. I’m leaving it part primer in favor of trying to get a two man lift done in two days. I really want to take the tent and lift it high into the breeze!

Wish me luck. I have to pack also.

The trailer looks huge inside, I’ll never fill it up. “Famous last words”. I plan to carry the canoe and bikes some day. Speciality toys and equipment piles up quick.
EF1435CD-7575-477A-A6E9-269020E71B9D.jpeg

6EBD177D-C1D4-4A28-9D49-5BF5FA468FE8.jpeg

This is the bolt I couldn’t find anywhere. :censor: I was sitting on it, dumb ass. ;)
2E9FE4C7-4AB8-43B6-BB5F-4BCBB88FB16B.jpeg

7B247901-D49D-441C-9951-28CB449CE469.jpeg

Details on the tonneau cover please! I want to do the same with mine. It’s 4x8 so not really a standard truck size. And I’m tired of everything getting so dusty.

Details on the tonneau cover please! I want to do the same with mine. It’s 4x8 so not really a standard truck size. And I’m tired of everything getting so dusty.
Happy to give you the details, next week, time is tight. I had a good experience and like the top so far.

Got a simple version of the lift done tonight so the RTT is going on a summer trip. The Gotham City Land Cruisers 1st annual expo tour starting at Rausch Creek Off Road Park and going thru Bald Eagle State Forrest for 2 nights.

I really like the idea of being able to lift the tent up for use and being able to lower it for transit. What are you using to lift it? Do you have some type of ram or jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom