TH 350 trannys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What model TH350 can be used for a conversion. I have a 350 ci motor with stock running gear and can get a TH350 tranny from an El Camino reasonably so, will it work. Does it have to come from a 4wd vehicle? If not, which ones will.
thanks

2 wheel drive TH350 with 6 inch output shaft (or tail housing) is your best bet, because you won't have to change the output shaft......and you do not want to take that job on or call for a quote for someone else to do it. You will be very, very sad :'(

Downey includes the proper output shaft with their adaptor....if you plan on rebuilding the transmission, just swap the shafts . I'm guessing that A/A does the same, but their adaptor is about 5 inchs longer than Downey's.

OK, the camino tranny is gone but, there also is a TH350 out of a 78 Monte Carlo. Will that one work.

There are three different tail shaft lengths on TH350s.

Short-came in the 4wds (stubby and won't have a tail housing)
Long-came in some 2wd trucks (has about a 10" housing)
Mid length-came in most cars (has about a 6" housing)

If you look around a junkyard 99% of the ones you will see will be the mid lengths. That's the one you need.

Make sure you get the right pattern bell housing. There are also 3. A chevy, a pontiac/olds, and a dual pattern that fits all GMs.

I prefer the non lock-up versions (no plug on the drivers side behind the linkage). They tend to have weaker torque converters. Some prefer the lock ups for the mileage.

[quote author=nspctr1 link=board=1;threadid=10816;start=msg97304#msg97304 date=1075562001]
OK, the camino tranny is gone but, there also is a TH350 out of a 78 Monte Carlo. Will that one work.
[/quote]

It should be the right one.

Just my preference, but I put a 700R4 in my 40 behind a 350 and wish I'd have stayed with a manual. Not sure which manuals suit you best...465???

If you're the type to really enjoy the 350 driving, an automatic just doesn't do it.

Either way...enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom