Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cheap rain gutter guard window vents. I ran a set of these on my 4Runner as well, they are perfect for those who sleep inside of their vehicles. They allow a cross breeze in, exhaust venting out and thanks to the mesh they keep the little critters out as well. $4.74 in total for the two pieces and then trim to fit. Be sure to leave +/- 1/8" overhang, you'll want them slightly wider than the actual window opening to fit in the channel.

8NmfMe4.jpg

WoaT0Qx.jpg

HumjJsQ.jpg

vLCVPLT.jpg

aNOnGmQ.jpg

gYIHl0A.jpg
Great mod! I’ve been draping mosquito netting over my opened back window when sleeping in it (which works even when raining), but sometimes the cross ventilation is lacking.

***WARNING*** Minor rant to follow

I called Rhino Rack USA today to inquire about the status of my BackBone (RTPB1) rails for my roof rack. I was originally told they would ship to me between November 8-10. When I called I was told they couldn't even look up my order without their in-house PO number. I found that odd because the guy in tech support found my order through my name when I called with a question about assembling the platform a few weeks prior. He was the one who originally told me that it would ship on that date.

I called the third party vendor who sold me the rack and rails and they too found it odd that Rhino Rack couldn't or wouldn't look up my order via my sales order number assigned through the vendor or via my name and purchase date for that matter. The vendor claimed they don't have a separate PO number for the order through Rhino Rack. The owner offered to call them for me and get to the bottom of it and that was fine with me. I got a message back simply stating that the BackBone side rails aren't expected until 12/21 now. So much for an update on my order which will now be pushed back another five weeks and was originally sold to me as in stock to begin with.

Rhino Rack makes some extremely nice products but I was warned about their customer service by more than one vendor. I thought that as long as I could initially acquire the rack the odds of me needing anything from them directly was slim so why concern myself with their reputation. Obviously I stepped in that one here and I won't have the rack on my vehicle in time for my trip in which it is most certainly needed. This now places my trip in question and has sort of turned me off to the idea. First world problems here but I find this unacceptable for a major international company who should have an up to the minute inventory system. Just a heads up for those of you thinking about purchasing this same rack, if you do so I'd make certain the vendor has it in hand instead of it drop shipping from Rhino Rack USA.

Last edited:
5 more weeks for something that's supposed to be in stock? I would find another rack that IS in stock and cancel this order. But that's just me. I HATE crappy customer service.

Both the rack/platform and the side rails/BackBone were sold to me as in stock items ready to drop ship within three business days of payment. The platform was in stock and shipped on time but when the side rails didn't show up I called and was told that they would be arriving from Australia and would ship between November 8-10. Now that has been pushed back to December 21st with no explanation as to why. The worst part is that I can't even get an answer about my order direct from Rhino Rack because they claim they can't look it up via my order through their vendor. It's BS and I am not happy about it, but I already have the platform assembled and waiting for the side rails, I will not be returning it at this point.

***WARNING*** Minor rant to follow

I called Rhino Rack USA today to inquire about the status of my BackBone (RTPB1) rails for my roof rack. I was originally told they would ship to me between November 8-10. When I called I was told they couldn't even look up my order without their in-house PO number. I found that odd because the guy in tech support found my order through my name when I called with a question about assembling the platform a few weeks prior. He was the one who originally told me that it would ship on that date.

I called the third party vendor who sold me the rack and rails and they too found it odd that Rhino Rack couldn't or wouldn't look up my order via my sales order number assigned through the vendor or via my name and purchase date for that matter. The vendor claimed they don't have a separate PO number for the order through Rhino Rack. The owner offered to call them for me and get to the bottom of it and that was fine with me. I got a message back simply stating that the BackBone side rails aren't expected until 12/21 now. So much for an update on my order which will now be pushed back another five weeks and was originally sold to me as in stock to begin with.

Rhino Rack makes some extremely nice products but I was warned about their customer service by more than one vendor. I thought that as long as I could initially acquire the rack the odds of me needing anything from them directly was slim so why concern myself with their reputation. Obviously I stepped in that one here and I won't have the rack on my vehicle in time for my trip in which it is most certainly needed. This now places my trip in question and has sort of turned me off to the idea. First world problems here but I find this unacceptable for a major international company who should have an up to the minute inventory system. Just a heads up for those of you thinking about purchasing this same rack, if you do so I'd make certain the vendor has it in hand instead of it drop shipping from Rhino Rack USA.

Not first world problems. They are in the consumer products business it’s their JOB to provide quality products AND SERVICES. This is unacceptable, they’d really hear it from me.

Can you get a substitute rack for the trip to work while you wait?

I agree, I paid for a product and I should have it in hand. I purchased both five weeks ago to the day. I finally got ahold of the same guy in the tech department at Rhino Rack USA today and he said they see the shipment as being pushed back to arrival on the 12/21 now with no explanation as to why from Rhino Rack AUS. They have a second shipment arriving on 12/23 as well, either way I won't see the order until after New Years Day given the time of arrival and the holidays it falls around.

They claim there aren't any RTPB1's in the country at the moment so I am SOL and must simply wait for the next shipment (already delayed twice now) to arrive at the end of the year. I really do not want to purchase another rack for $1K+ in order to make the trip happen only to lose money on it after the fact. It looks like our trip will have to be drastically altered or canceled now.

See if you can have your shipping paid for or some sort of compensation.
I just purchased last month a $10,000 (yes, it was on sale for $5,000) laptop from Dell. Had to wait for it to be built, received it and it was DOA. It worked long enough for me to initialize it and then when I took it to my computer guy to mirror the hard drive from the laptop that just died, it never stated again. Dead...
They sent a tech to fix it, which took way too many days because they didn't have the parts local. (about a week, for paid tech support that's supposed to be "Next Day")
That didn't work, so then they had to build me a new one. The order for the new laptop was then LOST! That took them about another week for them to figure out.
After about 2 months of this with Dell, I was able to get a $280.00 (their best) docking station and another $250.00 off the cost of the computer, plus another $350.00 off because I had the presence of mind to look at my configuration again online and found the EXACT configuration for $350.00 less, which they honored.
Thing is, I really like Dell and have been using them for decades for my computers!
So the moral of the story is:
If I wasn't the squeaky wheel, I would have waited 2 months with no compensation for all the issues I encountered.
Be that squeaky wheel!

I plan to call and complain again tomorrow when I have time. I doubt they will do s*** for me since they seem very unconcerned over the phone. Multiple vendors have told me that their CS is awful and they are run horribly here stateside but their quality product and the demand for it keeps them busy and these vendors continuing to sell it. They have a header on their website specifically listing shipping delays all around due to Covid so I doubt they will do much, if anything to make it right. I'll give it a shot though.

I plan to call and complain again tomorrow when I have time. I doubt they will do s*** for me since they seem very unconcerned over the phone. Multiple vendors have told me that their CS is awful and they are run horribly here stateside but their quality product and the demand for it keeps them busy and these vendors continuing to sell it. They have a header on their website specifically listing shipping delays all around due to Covid so I doubt they will do much, if anything to make it right. I'll give it a shot though.
Best of luck on this and I am sorry to hear about the troubles. That sucks. I do recall some shipping dates being moved around on me, as well, but that was in the earlier days of Covid. There are no acceptable excuses, though, for what you are dealing with.

Kaon rear roof shelf ordered and on the way. I have been putting this one off for a while now while I was considering the JW Off-Road model instead. Even with the 10% discount provided by JW I still saved over $100 on the Kaon shelf when compared to the JW. I wanted to support an American company and I likely would have received the JW sooner but I've enjoyed the Kaon products I already own and they have always had speedy shipping considering that it's coming from the other side of the world.

As silly as it sounds I plan to store my Weathertech windshield shade up there full time because it is always in the way and taking up space elsewhere. I think I'll keep my Woobie up there as well as the misses is always cold when camping or at the beach haha.

I too always keep a couple of throw-blankets in the my rig for the same purposes. Happy wife, happy life!

Kaon rear roof shelf ordered and on the way. I have been putting this one off for a while now while I was considering the JW Off-Road model instead. Even with the 10% discount provided by JW I still saved over $100 on the Kaon shelf when compared to the JW. I wanted to support an American company and I likely would have received the JW sooner but I've enjoyed the Kaon products I already own and they have always had speedy shipping considering that it's coming from the other side of the world.

As silly as it sounds I plan to store my Weathertech windshield shade up there full time because it is always in the way and taking up space elsewhere. I think I'll keep my Woobie up there as well as the misses is always cold when camping or at the beach haha.

1. Fat chance on getting the JW shelf before the Kaon. Mine came super fast, and I’m still waiting on JW.

2. Had to chuckle a little as that is what I have in my shelf as well. Covercraft shade and a blanket for the wife. Thinking about getting a Rumple blanket as an upgrade.

1. Fat chance on getting the JW shelf before the Kaon. Mine came super fast, and I’m still waiting on JW.

2. Had to chuckle a little as that is what I have in my shelf as well. Covercraft shade and a blanket for the wife. Thinking about getting a Rumple blanket as an upgrade.

I have no experience with the Rumpl Blankets but I see them everywhere and they look like a quality option. When camping I'm sure I'll throw pillows and jackets up there as well, maybe even shoes from time to time. I saw a 4Runner that had a roll of paper shop towels hanging off one side via a bungee, that seemed like a nice idea. I have no doubt that I'll use it for fishing rods and hanging clothes as well.

You've gotta love Kaon's Customer Service. I ordered the shelf on the 13th, it was booked on the 14th and delivered to me here in Texas on the 18th. It amazes me that I can receive an oversized package from the other side of the world (8,290 miles away) in under a week and yet I have packages sit at the USPS distribution center for more than week only a few miles down the road from my house.

I love the shelf, I just wish it hung a tiny bit lower. I'll see how well it works for my intended purpose as is, but I might modify it to hang another 1/2-1" lower. At least for now my windshield shade isn't rolling around the cabin.

IyCvvGz.png

aE08RiT.jpg

O4OuO9H.jpg

DmQpZgM.jpg

You've gotta love Kaon's Customer Service. I ordered the shelf on the 13th, it was booked on the 14th and delivered to me here in Texas on the 18th. It amazes me that I can receive an oversized package from the other side of the world (8,290 miles away) in under a week and yet I have packages sit at the USPS distribution center for more than week only a few miles down the road from my house.

I love the shelf, I just wish it hung a tiny bit lower. I'll see how well it works for my intended purpose as is, but I might modify it to hang another 1/2-1" lower. At least for now my windshield shade isn't rolling around the cabin.

IyCvvGz.png

aE08RiT.jpg

O4OuO9H.jpg

DmQpZgM.jpg

Ohhhh, I like that!!!!

This seems like a great storage option. Is the visibility in your rearview mirror at all impacted by the shelf?

You catch a glimpse of it in your peripheral but you can still clearly see out the back.

t8MwTj2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom