Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Of course. @TX GX460 has been running one on his GX460 for a few years now and I have spoken to four or more guys on instagram that have them as well and most of them have been using them with a hard shell RTT for years without issue. To be completely honest with you I have no real intentions to run a RTT on mine. I have been down that road before and I wasn't a fan. I plan to mount my MaxTrax, awning, Pelican cases, Rotopax and lights on it. For the time being it'll also hold my spare when off-road and overnighting in the GX until I can get a proper rear bumper/tire carrier. Unfortunately, I am at the mercy of these bigger fabricators on that one.

The only thing about the Pioneer Platform that throws me off are the crossbars that run from front to back instead of horizontally. Now that I am thinking about it, I need to order the wind fairing as well.

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately Rhino Rack is about 2-3 weeks behind on shipping at the moment. I hope to have the rack in hand by the end of November so that I can have it installed and test it out prior to our Big Bend trip in December. Fingers crossed!!!

*Disclaimer-Not GX related per se, but because I built it specifically to be towed by the GX I figured that it's somewhat relevant lol.

I finally finished the utility trailer project. The first phase of the restoration included all sanding, painting, rewiring, installing all new recessed LED lights, new decking, deck sealant and new tires. The second phase included finishing the L-Track on the forward pipe rail and on the deck, DOT2 stickers, a new side-wind pivoting tongue jack, locking tongue tool box and a new license plate light and bracket.

This will be the perfect utility trailer for local day trips or multi-day trips when our travel doesn't require overnight stays in a hotel or public place where lack of constant visibility would create a security issue for the bikes/cargo. I have already used it multiple times carrying both the 450L and the DT250A a combined 1,000+ miles without issue. It's nice to be able to easily, conveniently and quickly secure the bikes without straps.

I tried my best to keep the tie-down system as low profile as possible by using L-track with a radius so that it won't interfere with hauling other possible cargo like riding mowers, furniture, boxes, etc. Flush mount L-Track would have been even better but it didn't make sense for this project and the decking used. In total the trailer weighs under 1,000 lbs empty with the loaded tool box and spare making it a light load for a mid-size tow rig like a Tacoma or 4Runner.

Here is what I started with back in the summer (as a reminder), a weathered and slightly rusted six year old trailer tarnished from years of daily exposure to the elements. It had only been towed two or three times since new and had never been registered by the dealer.

4m8Lg2F.jpg

New pivoting side-wind jack and locking tongue tool box.

j4O70cQ.jpg

6tASh2b.jpg

All new recessed LED lights and LED plate light and bracket.

i2hDPaZ.jpg

W6cX5FX.jpg

L-Track on the leading edge pipe rail for wheel chocks and tie-downs and on the deck for use with the Bike Binderz and tie-downs. The center tracks are longer for use with a third bike which can be mounted facing forward or backwards as needed.

zYmDwBv.jpg

IyohMBS.jpg

Solo/single bike setup.

l8Kaa2X.jpg

seBglNS.jpg

Dual/multiple bike setup.

4b8C8EV.jpg

LZY2m0m.jpg

vHPlDas.jpg

Tie-downs for use with lashings/straps for bikes that lack cleated pegs like the DT250A, sport bikes, standards, etc.

nVRuiWG.jpg

*Disclaimer-Not GX related per se, but because I built it specifically to be towed by the GX I figured that it's somewhat relevant lol.

I finally finished the utility trailer project. The first phase of the restoration included all sanding, painting, rewiring, installing all new recessed LED lights, new decking, deck sealant and new tires. The second phase included finishing the L-Track on the forward pipe rail and on the deck, DOT2 stickers, a new side-wind pivoting tongue jack, locking tongue tool box and a new license plate light and bracket.

This will be the perfect utility trailer for local day trips or multi-day trips when our travel doesn't require overnight stays in a hotel or public place where lack of constant visibility would create a security issue for the bikes/cargo. I have already used it multiple times carrying both the 450L and the DT250A a combined 1,000+ miles without issue. It's nice to be able to easily, conveniently and quickly secure the bikes without straps.

I tried my best to keep the tie-down system as low profile as possible by using L-track with a radius so that it won't interfere with hauling other possible cargo like riding mowers, furniture, boxes, etc. Flush mount L-Track would have been even better but it didn't make sense for this project and the decking used. In total the trailer weighs under 1,000 lbs empty with the loaded tool box and spare making it a light load for a mid-size tow rig like a Tacoma or 4Runner.

Here is what I started with back in the summer (as a reminder), a weathered and slightly rusted six year old trailer tarnished from years of daily exposure to the elements. It had only been towed two or three times since new and had never been registered by the dealer.

4m8Lg2F.jpg

New pivoting side-wind jack and locking tongue tool box.

j4O70cQ.jpg

6tASh2b.jpg

All new recessed LED lights and LED plate light and bracket.

i2hDPaZ.jpg

W6cX5FX.jpg

L-Track on the leading edge pipe rail for wheel chocks and tie-downs and on the deck for use with the Bike Binderz and tie-downs. The center tracks are longer for use with a third bike which can be mounted facing forward or backwards as needed.

zYmDwBv.jpg

IyohMBS.jpg

Solo/single bike setup.

l8Kaa2X.jpg

seBglNS.jpg

Dual/multiple bike setup.

4b8C8EV.jpg

LZY2m0m.jpg

vHPlDas.jpg

Tie-downs for use with lashings/straps for bikes that lack cleated pegs like the DT250A, sport bikes, standards, etc.

nVRuiWG.jpg

Looking great!

When we met up a while back you mentioned a rack that you wouldn’t get due to the way it mounted. What was it?

When we met up a while back you mentioned a rack that you wouldn’t get due to the way it mounted. What was it?

Prinsu! Also mentioned the busy side rails of the SSO and the odd angle of the wind fairing on the Sherpa Rack. LFD is supposed to be coming out with one for the 460 soon as well.

Another lazy Sunday at the beach this afternoon. The water is crystal clear and rather calm following this most recent norther. There were quite a few fisherman out trying to catch Bull Red's on their annual fall surf run. This is in my opinion the best time of the year to be on the beach.

bCtQrG3.jpg

uySo95a.jpg

There were lot's of dead Monarch Butterflies in the surf today, must be those that didn't make it to finish their overwintering migration south into Mexico.

VuXLyEL.jpg

The GX continues to grow on me more and more every time I take a step back to admire it. She's not the prettiest girl on the block but she's reliable and loyal lol. Still loving these Nitto Ridge Grapplers as well, such a great tire in the sand.

0DS46XG.jpg

Z7fB7f2.jpg

I stopped and talked with a fellow dual sport rider and checked out his sweet 450X. It turns out we know some of the same people out west, small world. Always glad to link up with other riders and expand our riding group. He has a very nice InTech Flyer Explore trailer and a lifted Tacoma as well. I have been eyeing those trailers for a while now, so cool.

KF0vWYb.jpg

DPEcFHr.jpg

JMeVkeS.jpg

Last edited:
Still loving these Nitto Ridge Grapplers as well, such a great tire in the sand.

No lie, these Ridge Grapplers are my favorite tire. The grip these have on the tarmac is ridiculously good. Plus I got to get muddy in the 460 and they are a stud in the soft stuff

They are no noisier than the BFG KO2 IMHO. Rumors are they get louder past their half life but I only have 20K-ish miles on mine so I am not quite sure they are there yet according to other user reports on tread life. My BIL has them on his Tundra and he has 55K miles on them and he's just now starting to look at replacing them in the next 5-10K miles. My father has 15K miles on his mounted on his Tacoma and they look practically new like mine. They seem to be an amazing tire for mid-size or half-ton vehicles.

Last edited:
How is the road noise with the Ridge Grapplers?

Quiet in the 470 a little tiny bit in the 460--usually only noticeable with the windows down @ 65+ MPH and or driving next to a highway barrier / fence. Next time I'm in your area with either GX you're welcome to do a ride along.

Another lazy Sunday at the beach this afternoon. The water is crystal clear and rather calm following this most recent norther. There were quite a few fisherman out trying to catch Bull Red's on their annual fall surf run. This is in my opinion the best time of the year to be on the beach.

bCtQrG3.jpg

uySo95a.jpg

There were lot's of dead Monarch Butterflies in the surf today, must be those that didn't make it to finish their overwintering migration south into Mexico.

VuXLyEL.jpg

The GX continues to grow on me more and more every time I take a step back to admire it. She's not the prettiest girl on the block but she's reliable and loyal lol. Still loving these Nitto Ridge Grapplers as well, such a great tire in the sand.

0DS46XG.jpg

Z7fB7f2.jpg

I stopped and talked with a fellow dual sport rider and checked out his sweet 450X. It turns out we know some of the same people out west, small world. Always glad to link up with fellow riders and expend our riding group. He has a very nice InTech Flyer Explore trailer and a lifted Tacoma as well. I have been eyeing those trailers for a while now, so cool.

KF0vWYb.jpg

DPEcFHr.jpg

JMeVkeS.jpg

Great pics! That's nice to be able to drive and be right out on the beach in the GX and just enjoy life for a bit.

Great pics! That's nice to be able to drive and be right out on the beach in the GX and just enjoy life for a bit.

Living 15 minutes from the beach is definitely one of the things we will miss about this place when we move next year. We try to get down there at least twice a month and when I am on my fishing kicks I'll get down there two to three times as much.

Much to my disbelief, I got a ship notice on the Rhino Rack this morning. It looks like it should arrive by this weekend so hopefully I can make some time next week to get it on the truck. This is well in advance of the 2-4 week fulfillment they spoke of when I ordered it, this is a very nice surprise.

I had a large piece of asphalt hit the front of the truck last week, I couldn't believe that it didn't break the windshield but I figured it was because it deflected off of the top tube of the bumper. In actuality it hit the leading edge of the hood and not only chipped the paint but it also left a nice dent/ding as well. Oh well, $hit happens lol.

Much to my disbelief, I got a ship notice on the Rhino Rack this morning. It looks like it should arrive by this weekend so hopefully I can make some time next week to get it on the truck. This is well in advance of the 2-4 week fulfillment they spoke of when I ordered it, this is a very nice surprise.

I had a large piece of asphalt hit the front of the truck last week, I couldn't believe that it didn't break the windshield but I figured it was because it deflected off of the top tube of the bumper. In actuality it hit the leading edge of the hood and not only chipped the paint but it also left a nice dent/ding as well. Oh well, $hit happens lol.

If I’m available I can help install it if you need an extra set of hands.

I'd be great if arrived Friday so you have the weekend to mount it! (assuming you work Mon-Fri)

If I’m available I can help install it if you need an extra set of hands.

I just might take you up on that as the misses is 110lbs soaking wet and has the strength of a grass hopper lol.

I'd be great if arrived Friday so you have the weekend to mount it! (assuming you work Mon-Fri)

I work one off contracts so it's never the same and honestly anytime, whenever, wherever. I hope it gets here in time for the weekend as well, but if not, it'll give me something to look forward to for next week.

I just might take you up on that as the misses is 110lbs soaking wet and has the strength of a grass hopper lol.
I’m on vacation until the 8th and the only days I have something to do are that Wednesday and Saturday. I figured 3 weeks off would be great, but I’m starting to get bored lol. Still better than being at work though.

Well I was at half mast today after the rack showed up, or so I thought. There was only one box delivered and it was for the 84x49 Pioneer Platform, but not the Backbone side rails. I called and inquired about the other half of my order only to find out that the Backbone system is currently on backorder. Luckily it will be arriving to Rhino Rack USA on November 8 and I should have it in my hands about one week later. It sucks that they would ship half of the order instead of waiting and shipping it all at once, but it is what it is and at least I got to get started on what is the more involved portion of assembly.

cF74Kkz.jpg

I have to admit that I am pretty impressed with this product and how easily and precisely it all goes together. More so, I appreciated the simple instructions and the included tools. They provide you a Philips head driver and a pre-set torque t-wrench with socket for the seventy some-odd nuts you must install. The torque wrench is pre-set to 6.0 Nm or 4.4 lb-ft and it has a nice, loud, audible click when it hits capacity. The side rails are laser marked with numbered positions front and rear in order for you to place your crossbars exactly where the fit guide instructs you to do so, which is based upon your particular make and year model vehicle. According to the CS rep at Rhino Rack, this is the second generation Pioneer Platform and it has some improvements over the original.

Nkq1gVX.jpg

Brogndr.jpg

8m5rk9S.jpg

hwsYGqh.jpg

Everything went together as it should and I couldn't be more pleased with the fit/finish and overall quality of the platform. Hopefully I receive the Backbone system when expected so that I can get this rack completed and on the truck. I couldn't be more ready to get the spare out of the cargo area on our trips so that I can reclaim that space for cargo/gear.

AT1PMJb.jpg

9i1pFs6.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom