Test new starter before installing intake....? Real time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed new starter.

Want to know if I can test it (bump it) before putting the top end back on?

If I pull the fuel pump fuse and just 'bump' the starter using the key in the ignition (to test the entire circuit) will it set off a bunch of 'codes' since a LOT of my wiring is not in place?

Please only experienced answers, no guessing...or "I don't think so, I think its OK, etc".

Thank you in advance.

I cranked it with fuel pump fused pulled, without any issue. Just watch out that coolant doesn't go into head ports, even drained you'll have some in hoses.

Last edited:
I cranked it with fuel pump fused pulled without issue. Just watch out that coolant doesn't go into head ports, even drained you'll have some in hoses.

I don't really want to "crank" it, just barely 'bump' it....so I would be 100% certain all the circuitry is working. But I don't want to do that if it's going to throw a bunch of codes or initiate some part of the anti-theft system.

It won't. If it did just disconnect battery to reset codes.

I didn't drain mine to replace the starter.

Glad you got it worked out
Did you leave T-Body on?
I took my T-body off disconnecting hoses. Outside temp change cause coolant to expand, ending up in a few intake ports. Was fun vacuuming coolant out from cylinder.:bang:

It won't. If it did just disconnect battery to reset codes.

Did you leave T-Body on?
I took my T-body off disconnecting hoses. Outside temp change cause coolant to expand, ending up in a few intake ports. Was fun vacuuming coolant out from cylinder.:bang:

Doh!

That's what I wanted to avoid so I unbolted it and swung it forward.

OP

I didn't realize you hadn't put it on yet. The best way to test it is take it to a parts house and have them do it.

Thankfully starters are very simple. They either work or they don't. RARELY there are intermittent issues but it's usually from bad contacts in the solenoid or something like oil getting in there.

If you want to bench test it, use judgment and a set of jumper cables. Clamp the negative on the starter body and place the positive on the positive terminal and jump the terminal to the blade inside the ignition wire connector.

It should spark and whizz to life. If it's bad it won't work or it will get hot and release the magic smoke.

Doh!

That's what I wanted to avoid so I unbolted it and swung it forward.

OP

I didn't realize you hadn't put it on yet. The best way to test it is take it to a parts house and have them do it.

Thankfully starters are very simple. They either work or they don't. RARELY there are intermittent issues but it's usually from bad contacts in the solenoid or something like oil getting in there.

If you want to bench test it, use judgment and a set of jumper cables. Clamp the negative on the starter body and place the positive on the positive terminal and jump the terminal to the blade inside the ignition wire connector.

It should spark and whizz to life. If it's bad it won't work or it will get hot and release the magic smoke.

I'm not sure you are 'following' my point. I am not trying to determine if the new starter works, I bench tested it as soon as I got it out of the box.

My purpose for 'bumping' the starter (ONCE IN PLACE) is to confirm that all connections are good and the entire circuit (from starter through ignition switch) is working....before I put the intake back on.

I have no real reason to doubt my work.....it's just a bit of a pain to take things apart again IF something were amiss. So to me....the prudent thing to do is 'test it' (in place) first. Provided it will not cause other problems, I don't see why anyone wouldn't do this?

I'm not worried about clearing codes IF that is the only consequence of energizing the ignition system for brief test. On the other hand...if it is going to set off any of the anti-theft features....I don't want that.

That is why I am soliciting answers from those who have done it (and not looking for theories).

Thanks guys,

Flint.

I pulled the Throttle Body and gave it a complete cleaning inside and out, looks almost new (be careful to use only approved cleaners).

Then threw the intake and plenum in the parts Vat and scrubbed it clean. All clean, bright and shining now. I could probably reuse the intake gasket, but ordered a new one....just for peace of mind. I installed new injector seals while I had everything apart.

While you have the intake off, it is a good time to check the heater core Tee's. We happened to bump one of the hoses when removing the starter and the 'T' on the hot side broke and just crumbled.

It was a stroke of fortune really. That was a catastrophe just waiting to happen. I have new metal Tee's coming, then will bolt everything back up and test it out.

I'm not sure you are 'following' my point. I am not trying to determine if the new starter works, I bench tested it as soon as I got it out of the box.

My purpose for 'bumping' the starter (ONCE IN PLACE) is to confirm that all connections are good and the entire circuit (from starter through ignition switch) is working....before I put the intake back on.

I have no real reason to doubt my work.....it's just a bit of a pain to take things apart again IF something were amiss. So to me....the prudent thing to do is 'test it' (in place) first. Provided it will not cause other problems, I don't see why anyone wouldn't do this?

I'm not worried about clearing codes IF that is the only consequence of energizing the ignition system for brief test. On the other hand...if it is going to set off any of the anti-theft features....I don't want that.

That is why I am soliciting answers from those who have done it (and not looking for theories).

Thanks guys,

Flint.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Although I doubt anyone has "done it" as you've mentioned because it doesn't make sense.

If you want to test the circuit have someone hit the key while you hold a test light on the signal wire. If it's getting power the circuit is obviously energized and it won't even necessitate having the starter hooked up.

If you insist on doing this your way for whatever reason with the starter in, just pull the EFI fuse or Fuel Pump fuse so there isn't a mess and bump it once. Disconnect battery and reassemble. By the time you have it together and reconnect battery the codes will be cleared.

+1 on the heater tees. Mine blew up on a hill climb and was lucky enough to have enough spare hose to loop around. The Toyota plastic starts to turn brown right before it gives up apparently. I thought it was normal.

+1 on the heater tees. Mine blew up on a hill climb and was lucky enough to have enough spare hose to loop around. The Toyota plastic starts to turn brown right before it gives up apparently. I thought it was normal.

Yes, the one that crumbled had turned brown in color. The other was fine...but I am not going to go back with anything but metal now. It took so little force for it to break...that I am surprised it was still 'holding on'.

Easy to get to with the intake off, just waiting on the Tee's so I can get Her buttoned back up.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Flint.

Flint, have you consider getting your fuel injectors cleaned, rebuilt & tested.
When to replace fuel injectors

I agree on replacing all gasket including the metal manifold clam shell gasket.

Flint, have you consider getting your fuel injectors cleaned, rebuilt & tested.
When to replace fuel injectors

I agree on replacing all gasket including the metal manifold clam shell gasket.

Yes, thought about it. Elected to clean up the fuel rail, replace injector seals, replace fuel filter and then recheck the fuel trim (I did initially) to see if anything looks amiss.

I am in the process of base-lining the vehicle and doing some needed maintenance on it. The vehicle is 'new to me' so I have quite a few items I need to (or have already done) look at and possibly address.

Fuel injector cleaning/testing will be revisited at a later date IF there is any reason to suspect a problem, currently there does not seem to be.

Great post however, thank you for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom