Terrain Tamer Heavy Duty hub seals: anyone use them yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was watching some You tubby videos out of Australia and came across one discussing the Terrain Tamer HD hub seals. Apparently the seal rotates on itself instead of on the spindle with the idea to reduce wear which is particularly important on the rear spindles which are not replaceable. The seal lips also have a new design so as to be less likely to leak.

Does anyone (? @mudgudgeon ) out there have experience using this hub seal design yet??

Last edited:
Interesting! No experience here, haven't heard of them before, but on paper it sounds good, I guess it's just a question of if these seals hold up in practice. Personally, I've ditched the rear seals in my 80 and run gear oil through the bearings, so I'm not too concerned about that one, but a solution for the fronts would be handy. I'm planning to do a rebuild of my front axles in 6 months or so. I might give these seals a try.

How's that accent hey @Nemesis1207 ? Aussie AF

I haven't seen them either. Concept looks like it makes sense. Wonder how vulnerable it is to dirt ingress.
Terrain Tamer gear I've had anything to do with had all been to notch. I'd maybe give them a go.
Can't say any of my cruisers have shown a great deal of wear on that part of the spindle. If you spent a lot of time in mud, maybe worth while.

Ps, @Nemesis1207 this is the rear /hub seal, not the axle seal, so it's needed whether your running grease or gear oil in the hub.

These types of seals are used in large four wheel drive/steer tractors. Have been for years. IIRC, Case/New Holland uses the SKF version.

Looks very interesting and I might have to pick up their front and back kits.

It is a great time to be ordering directly from Australia due to the US/AUS exchange rate.

These types of seals are used in large four wheel drive/steer tractors. Have been for years. IIRC, Case/New Holland uses the SKF version.

How reliable do you think they'd be on US-market, full-time 80s regularly doing freeway speeds? Are they used in tractors on high-speed (relatively) shafts?

Any idea what they're called in the seal industry?

How reliable do you think they'd be on US-market, full-time 80s regularly doing freeway speeds? Are they used in tractors on high-speed (relatively) shafts?

The manufacturers have different speed ratings, so yes, I would think they would work on an 80, used on the highway.

No idea about the nomenclature. I didn't spec them when I designed the axles for CNH, they did. I was mistaken about the manufacturer - it was Trelleborg, not SKF. All that Swedish stuff runs together in my head.

That was one concern I had also, can they handle the speed (internal friction?), but if it's a proven concept then maybe not a factor.

It would be interesting to learn what company makes them for Terrain Tamer and where. If SKF, NOK, etc, that should alleviate any concerns.

Update: apparently Cruiser Brothers (Valley Hybrids) may be an importer for Terrain Tamer in the US??

@orangefj45

Last edited:
Yeah, great for you guys. But shipping $$$ often kills the gains on the exchange rate
We have them in stock ……. In Stockton California.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Here's the Trelleborg solution - cassette seal (generally):
1666176056063.png

ESP has them too:
1666176386382.png

1666176593186.png

Last edited:
Yeah, great for you guys. But shipping $$$ often kills the gains on the exchange rate
Shipping charges always have to be considered.

I recently purchased some items directly from Australia for $1,000 US, including international shipping. The same items are >$1,700 US, not including domestic shipping, if I bought them through the US distributor.

I bought my Marks 4WD LS/6l90e kit directly from Australia as well and saved a ton. It was at my house 8 days after purchase. DHL FTW.

It is good to know that Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers stock these parts. When I do my axle rebuilds, I will reach out and compare prices.

This video shows the Terrain Tamer seal cut open to better illustrate how it works (the first part of the video is about installing larger hub studs).

Start watching at 3:50 for discussion about the new seal design.

Last edited:
We just got them posted to the site this morning.
You can call the shop if you have any questions.
209-475-8808
Awesome I’ll place my order tomorrow, that price is for one seal correct? So if doing the rear axle I’ll need QTY 2.

Awesome I’ll place my order tomorrow, that price is for one seal correct? So if doing the rear axle I’ll need QTY 2.
Yes sir, these seals are sold individually. We also stock the hub gaskets, inner axle seals, adjuster kit, set screws, bearings, adjuster tool …….
Happy to help!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom