Tell me how to spend my money and what to buy! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I FINALLY sold my car. I will have atleast 3,000$ to spend, but I would like to keep it down around 2,000$. This is what I have in mind, ya'll tell me what ya think and what else I should add to the list.

• New fan clutch with the mod
  • 4x4Labs DIY rear bumper
  • Snorkel ( because they look cool DUH) :D
  • New belts
  • New radiator hoses
  • Either install my 5" OME comp springs in the front/or Metal Tech 2" spacers
  • Build a t-case crossmember/skidplate such as CreeperSleeper's
That is really all I can think of. I thought about a winch but I don't think I would use it enough to justify the money, plus everyone I wheel with has a winch. I thought about buying longs and rear shafts, but I figure I will wait until they break, as I know my limits and try not to wheel it harder than I can. May also invest in a DC front driveshaft. Buy invest I mean build my own. I also thought about gears but I am pretty satisfied with my 4.10s and 35s. I also thought about getting gears and getting 38's but I just put brand new 35's on :doh: So far if I added that up it is at the most 1,400$

I daily drive this but only 5 miles a day, maximum of 45 mph. I plan on wheeling this atleast once a month. I do lots of trails and some fairly hardcore rocks.

Thanks for the insight,

D

LOL. Never got into the whole drug craze, and I have been with the same chick for 6 years, so I think I am set there. Any other suggestions? :D

half on PM and the other half on something that will get you into situations you wouldnt have gotten into without it. big tires, winch, rock sliders etc...

There is still time. There is ALWAYS still time.

Yea, well...I am good on that. I'll just drink my beer and NOT go to jail or blow all my money on...blow. LOL

half on PM and the other half on something that will get you into situations you wouldnt have gotten into without it. big tires, winch, rock sliders etc...

Well if you notice, I already have a lift, and sliders, and "big" tires...

spend it on gas and take a few trips, not sure about the snorkel, never understood them her in socal where the only river to cross were you may need it is concrete lined and it is only running 2 times a year when it rains. I quess I try to spend on function rather than looks.

Roof rack or roof top tent. Maybe add some lights. Put the money aside for the next thing that breaks, yes something will break soon.

A stripper pole on the roof could be cool too.

I have never been a fan of roof racks. Unless they are like on a Camel Trophy truck or the likes. And a rooftop tent is a waste of money for ME. I have a badass ground tent, and don't much like the idea of being drunk trying to crawl into a tent ~8 ft of the ground. LOL

I agree of function over form, but snorkels are sooo cool. I always wanted one and besides my F-250 this is the first vehicle I have owned that Safari makes one to fit. I know they are useless in the sense of water crossing in a computer controlled fuel injected landcruiser, but the benefits are there nonetheless.

I am not an expedition type wheeler. I don't need drawers in the back, dozens of spare parts, or refrigerators. I thought about a Slee spare tire rack for inside, but I think I could build one for a fraction of the cost. I will probably buy a nice ARB tow strap, but that will probably be the extent of my recovery stuff, unless I buy the m8000 Warn that 4WP has on sale at the moment. 529$? I think.

D

baseline it
then do any PM that you can think of
the put $1,000 away in savings for when you bust something
then start spending on the stuff you mention, above.
Maybe get a CB? if your buddies have 'em, they are handy.
lights are always nice to have
stereo upgrade?

That's the "smart" way, in my opinion. Not necessarily how I would do it.

I mean, really, the way to go is probably put as much as possible aside until you think "I wish I could.... " and then, "hey! I can!"

I slept in a roof tent once. Never again!

Drive it, and address any deficiencies you find.... :steer:

Its not sexy but you really shroud baseline it. Secondly, install some sliders and a transfer-case Skid Plate from Slee or IPOR. With those items, you will be able to tackle 80% of the trails out there. If you have some let over, get a bumper and winch.

Josh

Its not sexy but you really shroud baseline it. Secondly, install some sliders and a transfer-case Skid Plate from Slee or IPOR. With those items, you will be able to tackle 80% of the trails out there. If you have some let over, get a bumper and winch.

Josh

Um, I have sliders, and like I posted up above I am going to build my own skid/crossmember. Not spending money on something I can build for less, thats the same reason I built my own sliders. I am not spending 1,000$ on something that I can/and did build for 125$.

baseline it
then do any PM that you can think of
the put $1,000 away in savings for when you bust something
then start spending on the stuff you mention, above.
Maybe get a CB? if your buddies have 'em, they are handy.
lights are always nice to have
stereo upgrade?

That's the "smart" way, in my opinion. Not necessarily how I would do it.

I mean, really, the way to go is probably put as much as possible aside until you think "I wish I could.... " and then, "hey! I can!"

I already have a cb, and a Pioneer CD player. I am not much for the "system" thing. I don't need subs, and door speakers, everything I have works fine as is. I already have a set of 6" KCs on the front bumper. I will probably add some rock lights, but those are cheap and I have those covered already. Little things like that I didn't add into the budget.

Its already a definate on the 4x4Lab rear bumper, and the modded fan clutch from LandTank. The snorkel isn't a must nor is a winch. They both have their benefits, and they both look cool, LOL. I already have the OME 5" comp springs that I will put on to sit my truck level, hopefully. So that is free. I dont see a DC front shaft costing me more than about 250$. Any other things ya'll can think of?

Oh and as to saving it in case of something breaking? I have money saved in the bank for whatever. This is just a "surplus" of money and figured I would spend it on my only hobby. Truck is paid for, so...I really have nothing else to spend the money on.

D

my .02

If you install the 5" comp springs, you will need the DC shaft, if you put it off you will screw up your stocker. I don't like to say will and must but, I am pretty darn sure you wont enjoy driving around with the vibes/noises and thoughts of whats being done to DS. Save money on not snorking it, unless it really makes you happy. Nothing makes me more happy than a clean truck with a lot of PM.

spend it on gas and take a few trips, not sure about the snorkel, never understood them her in socal where the only river to cross were you may need it is concrete lined and it is only running 2 times a year when it rains. I quess I try to spend on function rather than looks.

Are the trails you go on dusty? If so a snorkel moves the air intake up out of the dust, filter stays cleaner longer.

regards

Dave

Do you have a winch? On board air or power tank? I thought I liked my cruiser with stock gears and 35's, then I regeared and was thrilled by all the power that I got back. I had 37's already for my off road tires so I went with 5.29's.

If you install the 5" comp springs, you will need the DC shaft, if you put it off you will screw up your stocker. I don't like to say will and must but, I am pretty darn sure you wont enjoy driving around with the vibes/noises and thoughts of whats being done to DS. Save money on not snorking it, unless it really makes you happy. Nothing makes me more happy than a clean truck with a lot of PM.

this.

I've broken 2 front driveshafts in a month ( stockers ) . I have the comp springs.

i also have a snorkel. If there wasn't a big honkin hole in the fender, i'd take it off. i've already had to tighten it twice in a month because it rattles.

if it were my money, i'd do:

rear bumper with tire carrier
sound/heat insulation on floor
tuffy console
belly pan/tcase skid
d/c style front shaft
locker actuator guards.

on board air. that's a nice upgrade, no matter how you do it.

rear bumper w/tire carrier is a big ticket that looks/works nicely

heat/noise insulation. Lots of work- but a quieter car is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom