Tech questions on 4" lift.

Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,792
 
 
 
:)I just installed a 4" lift using alcan springs. The question that I have is why is the shock rubbering on the draglink rod...what the easiest way to fix this problem. And do I need to install a high steering kit as well when installing a lift this high. I also hope I installed the shocks correctly.:) I also enclosed a pic of my other 40 without a lift so you can see the difference. :)
DSC04046.JPG
DSC04045.JPG
DSC04044.JPG
 

woody

unhelpful spotter
Staff member
Admin
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Messages
10,268
Location
Toquerville UT
 
 
 
 
let the springs break in before you judge the steering, but you may need to address that drag link angle...some chance for bump steer there, for sure...

lightened your pic, is the boot all that's rubbing? if yes, then ditch it....rubber boots on shocks are nothing more than mud/dirt/moisture grabbers and it will greatly accellerate the rustage of the nice chrome shafts on those shocks....
Dsc04045.jpg
 
Joined
Aug 11, 2003
Messages
83
 
 
If you are talking about the first pic (blue 40) then turn the shock the other direction and see if that clearance will work with the drag link??? Also, like woody says the leafs need sometime to adjust.
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,792
 
 
 
It seems that way. It now has a hole in boot from one day of driving. And yes it does now have some bump steer......when you hit a bump and wants to go the left or right....it not too bad. So what is the best avanue to address this typ of problem. I was looking at a highsteering kit....will this fix it.....you think.

woody said:
let the springs break in before you judge the steering, but you may need to address that drag link angle...some chance for bump steer there, for sure...

lightened your pic, is the boot all that's rubbing? if yes, then ditch it....rubber boots on shocks are nothing more than mud/dirt/moisture grabbers and it will greatly accellerate the rustage of the nice chrome shafts on those shocks....
 
Last edited:
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,792
 
 
 
the blue one has the original lift and the yellow is the one in question. I tried doing this to the yellow to no avail....the clearance from the shock/draglink rod was the same regardless. :)

SPRDAV said:
If you are talking about the first pic (blue 40) then turn the shock the other direction and see if that clearance will work with the drag link??? Also, like woody says the leafs need sometime to adjust.
 

woody

unhelpful spotter
Staff member
Admin
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Messages
10,268
Location
Toquerville UT
 
 
 
 
body up, rod down is the proper way to mount a Bilstein 5125 shock...it is a "common" issue tho for shocks to be pretty snug on the relay rod (or is that the drag link...relay from the box to the center arm, drag from the center to the tie rod...I think)

anyways, it'll be close...your only "fix" is to remove/relocate the axle-side mount a tad further out on the housing...but too much and you'll dent the shock with the steering knuckle (ask me how I know.....)
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,792
 
 
 
HUh...I think you are right. everyone I ask did not have an answer. It looks like I will call the bilstein people and see what they tell. It's not that hard to flip them the other way.

trucruiser said:
I think your front shocks are upside down.
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,792
 
 
 
Ok Good to know Woody. The instructions for the shocks did not incicate one way or the other. My way of thinking was the if the writing is upside down with the booty up...to me that would be wrong.....now why would bilstein advertise thier stuff upside down.

I was hoping someone out there already booty fabbed something. I think I will fab something up on the drag link rod....I think this is the easiest mod and the fastest way to put it back to original if I decide to go to a soa set up. So far I like it. About the only thing I don't like is it goes from side to side when I hit a bump. Thanks for your responses :) .

fjwagon said:
HUh...I think you are right. everyone I ask did not have an answer. It looks like I will call the bilstein people and see what they tell. It's not that hard to flip them the other way.
 
Last edited:

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,982
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
I am surprised no one has mentioned the F250 mount yet...

I think it rubs because:
1- you change the geometry btwn shock tower and axle when you lift
2- aftermarket shocks look to be thicker than the OEM toyota that came on our rigs...

I could be wrong on these!
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,792
 
 
 
Pablo, I really don't want to mess with the tower...I may change the steering or go with a soa or back to orginal...maybe not back to origianl. I was stumpped when I installed them. I really only need about a 3/8's of an inch which will clear but I was hoping to hear something like an easy fix. :crybaby: Yeah yeah. Back to the drawing board. I appreciate you comments. Thanks Any one have pics of there 4" lift w/similiar circumstances?

PabloCruise said:
I am surprised no one has mentioned the F250 mount yet...

I think it rubs because:
1- you change the geometry btwn shock tower and axle when you lift
2- aftermarket shocks look to be thicker than the OEM toyota that came on our rigs...

I could be wrong on these!
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Messages
339
Location
Watertown, NY
you have to cut off the shock mount from the axle and then move it outboard an inch or so. It will correct it self when you do a sag steering upgrade, but moving the mount should be good for now. I had to do the same thing with my SOA with the stock steering.
 

spotcruiser

Geezer
SILVER Star
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
3,765
Location
Western WA
 
 
 
woody said:
it is a "common" issue tho for shocks to be pretty snug on the relay rod (or is that the drag link...relay from the box to the center arm, drag from the center to the tie rod...I think)

Drag link from box to the center arm. Relay rod from center arm to PS steering arm. Tie rod from PS to DS steering arm.
 

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
20,451
Location
MN
 
 
 
According to Hoyle? ;)
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
194
Location
Dallas, Texas
You can always weld in a spacer to move the linkage rod away from the shock. I had this problem when installing my 4".

Follow link for fix (I cannot post pics without getting a page not found error):
linkspacer.JPG
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,792
 
 
 
That looks doable......I just might do that thanks for your input. It's easy enough to put back original if I had to.
TexomaFJ40 said:
You can always weld in a spacer to move the linkage rod away from the shock. I had this problem when installing my 4".

Follow link for fix (I cannot post pics without getting a page not found error):
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,792
 
 
 
This is how it turned out after the lift.....the before and after pics
DSC04048.JPG
DSC04049.JPG
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom