Tearing down my HJ47 troopy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I spent a couple of hours cleaning half of the transfer case today. What a difference; that thing looked like it came out of a swamp. You can see the uncleaned other half; it looks nasty!
006.JPG
007.JPG

Gswest,

Are you planning to coat the case with something, paint, etc. I didn't and wished I had. The alum. doesn't stay pretty very long. I know how long that took to get it looking like that. Good Job!

Thanks Ron,
Good question. I'm trying to remember what I did without reviewing my own thread on this truck. I know it looks great. If I had to guess; I probably painted it. But aluminum doesn't rust, it just oxidizes which makes it dull and tarnish. Now that I think about it, I doubt I painted it. I haven't reviewed my thread, but I think I did what I'm doing to this case; I'm doing a thorough detail. This includes wire wheels on a drill. Buffing pads on a Drimel tool. The final touch is a buffing wheel on my drill. I actually pressure cleaned the case first. That sounds extreme but this thing looked like it had been submerged in a salt tank for 50 years.

As you know, the problem with paint is it can peal, flake, react to heat, etc! Bare raw polished aluminum is usually a better option. Although aluminum will tarnish and react to the elements as well. All things considered. Polished and coated aluminum would be the best option. Painted aluminum is the second choice.

That's what I would have done if I had a bead blaster. Looks very nice.

Gswest,

Are you planning to coat the case with something, paint, etc. I didn't and wished I had. The alum. doesn't stay pretty very long. I know how long that took to get it looking like that. Good Job!
I think I did paint the other 2 cases now that I think about it.

After looking at my existing case on the Troopy, I realize I painted the cases on both of my trucks (62 and 47) when I rebuilt them. It looks good now on the 47 and I know the 62 looked good right up until it went down the road to Chicago. The aluminum casting on these cases is very porous. It attracts grime and it tarnishes quickly. The paint fills up the pores and makes the metal look good longer. Bare (highly polished) aluminum would be a better option if not for the grime that is attracted to the normally porous exterior. I'm painting the exterior in a aluminum or stainless looking color. That's what I did before. When I polished my cases before, the aluminum immediately started to tarnish (dull) after polishing. The transfer case under the Troopy right now looks brand new. It's paint is holding up very well after 2 + years. Of course the prep work is what's most important when painting anything, especially engines or mechanical equipment. Heat and or oily metal will show up after a short while with pealing paint. Nothing sucks more than a newly rebuilt engine or transmission with pealing paint. It ruins the moment when you open the hood. This pic has the 2 halves sitting on top of each other, maybe a little disorienting..
010.JPG

Years ago, I glass beaded some VW case halves, which are a mag. mix and porous. Put the motor back together and drove it down the street one time before it locked up. Found out later the glass beads got imbedded in the case and the pores expanded enough when hot, to ruin all the bearings. A total loss. Please be careful where you bead blast.

I'll hit them with Scotch Brite and brake clean and then a good high temp primer and paint.

Last edited:
Everything is sitting idle until I can take the truck off the road for a week or two. I'm assuming I'll need a part or two that's not known yet. So, even if the tranny swap goes well, it's probably going to take twice the time it should, due to my sub-par mechanic skills. In retrospect, it seems idiotic that I sold my daily driver (FJ62) before I was done with the Troopy. I got tunnel vision; I bought the 5 speed tranny, now I needed to replace the $3800, I sell the FJ, $3800 appears. Problem solved; except I now have to swap the transmission and transfer case on a time schedule, unless I want to walk to work or have my GF drive me, which would be gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I am 56 years old, so it would be lame in any perspective. Anyhow, I'll take a couple of weeks off work and hope I have all the parts to do the 4 to 5 speed swap.

I know this is off topic but I thought I would ask you, as you seem to have done more work and research on an HJ47 then most.

I would like to put an original rear heater in my 1982 HJ47 and don't know what the correct rear heater would be as there are many. I've never seen any pictures of a troopy with a rear heater. My Hj47 had one but was removed at some point and I'd like to put an original back in.

I know being in Florida this is probably not important but I was wondering if you came across any info on it through your amazing restoration. Thanks! Dan

Last edited:
Dan,
I'm in FL also with an '84 troopy. I also did some research trying to retro-fit an original heater. Alas I gave up because they are hard to find, usually in terrible shape or nonfunctional, or prohibitively expensive. SOR has good data on which heaters were original in certain years. There's also decent data online and random interior pics of troopys.

Page 187 Land Cruiser Rear Heater - 40 & 45 Series

Where are you located?
Keep me updated
J

OK, when everyone is finished with restoring or upgrading their Troopys we will have to have a Florida gathering of Troopys somewhere, LOL. I also have an 84 Troopy I am restoring right now, not to original but more to Overlanding style. Dan, I am also upgrading to the 5 speed, I am going to have the case sand blasted then powdercoated in clear, hopefully it will come out nice and hold up well.
Cheers, Geoff.

Last edited:
Florida troopy gathering sounds great!
I'm kinda wanting to do an overlanding style thing now as well. I'm keeping the the enging/tran original. but I'm in the process of trying out new/different wheels/tires. right now I'm about to go to 16" wheels off an 80, with 285/75 tires. prolly will need 1-1.25" spacers.
also wanting to add the winch, kegerator (I'm partially sponsored by Shipyard brewing), and solar power to keep it all charged.
good luck!
cheers
j

Hey guys,
My rig didn't have the rear heater installed when I got it, so I cant help in that area. I don't even want the front heater to work because the engine heat alone gets it warm after 15 minutes of running as it is. as far as a update; I haven't installed the 5 speed yet; I only drive it 6 miles to work every third day (Fire Dept), and the 4 speed works fine. I have 32 inch tires so with the 4 speed I'm at 2200 RPMs doing 45-50 MPH. I'm hoping when I install the 5 speed and go with 33 inch tires I will get up to 60 MPH in a comfortable RPM range. We'll see. Issues Ive encountered since the rebuild are leaky fuel injector nozzles, fuel gauge gremlins (electrical), glow plugs are slow to heat up (45 seconds) etc. But the truck starts up and runs every time. It's been reliable and fun to drive. All the issues can be fixed with the resources found here.
Thanks

Update! I’ve moved to Washington State and have my Troopy here. I’m considering a different project and am putting this mighty steed up for sale. Any tips on making that happen at a reasonable price would be welcomed. I’ll put it in the classified section once I get some new pics. The price hasn’t been set as of yet.

Another update. I’ve decided to do the 5 speed upgrade and keep the Troopy for a while longer. The market isn’t great right now for my type of Land Cruiser. That’s the way the market goes. Certain vehicles get hot and then they cool off. It seems to have cooled off, at least from my perspective. I love improving this truck, and I need a project, being newly retired. So this is it. 5 speed is sitting there waiting to go installed, and I’m sitting here needing a project. There are quite a few others here that have done this upgrade, so I’ll be looking at those and using their info to guide my progress. Pics will be coming.

I’ve got the driveshafts removed and ready to be modified. Short one longer, long one shorter. Transfercase getting disassembled from underneath. Wish I had a lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom