Tearing down my HJ47 troopy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where can one get one of these 5th gear oilers (oiler cup). I've looked around and no luck.

I think the part number is 33124-36010

Try finding that Scott

Thanks for the part # Tom, I ordered one today from Toyota locally.

Sourcing a split case e brake setup would usually require a unicorn hunting expedition, but the elusive beast is listed in classifieds, attached to an early transfer case (yes, an '82 split case) from a BJ42 that was equipped with an H55. (Cruiser Yard)

That said and retrospectively stated, easier to source a full float rear axle with ebrake and a better set up, all the way around.

I was lead to believe I could use my parking brake assembly on the later model transfer case that I have for the 5 speed. Am I living in a dream world? Here in Florida, a parking brake is not a huge deal. But where I'm planning on going it will be (more mountains). So, if I can't use my parts on this transfer case, I'll look for a suitable full floating rear axle when and if I get out to the Pacific Northwest (Washington). I did get the extra hole tapped and plugged today. and I've figured out how the oil cup (fifth gear oiler) works. I read through the write up suggested here and there it was; it snaps into position and collects oil spray in the funnel and drips it on the fifth gear bearing (I think). I couldn't picture how it worked until I read the whole thread, so thanks for suggesting the thread Bowlingfor$ and thanks Georg at ValleyHybrids for writing the thread. I once got a transfer case housing for my 62 from Georg which saved me a few $$, so I'm a fan. He knows Cruisers! 002.JPG 004.JPG

Last edited:
Am I living in a dream world?

I am........

Where body parts from 2007s bolt up to '84s, where pistons from '88 run in blocks cast twenty years prior, and non-US diesels bolt up in between gasser frame rails, without so much as firing up the torch.

One where the rarest, most elusive big, pink buck unicorns can still be bagged, NOS/NIB, and proudly mounted (or tucked away in a storage bay, waiting) as trophies commemorating expeditions that often span the globe, with hunting parties consisting of a widely diverse collection of members from many nations.

All that lacks in my dream world is a higher percentage of driving Cruisers than those that can't....

If you have a split case ebrake, it can work on any split case, if that's what you mean by late parking brake assembly.

If you don't, then it won't.

On the oiler cup....Toyota must've assumed to be a potential problem, because the earlier cases were devoid of oiling and there's more reports of those cases having no issues through many years of operation than there are of failures that can be attributed to lack of lubrication provisions.

I'd like to shift into 5th at 40mph, so I can't imagine many markets where 5th wouldn't be used for any period of time that might pose issue, 5th is lubed when operational, the cup providing lube for periods it languishes, the extent.

But it's a few bucks and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?

I have a split case ebrake on my 81 Troopy... So you're telling me there's a chance? One in a million, but I've got a chance. That's a Dumb and Dumber reference, but I hear ya, I hear ya, there's a chance! The chance being I can take my ebrake assembly and install it on the later model case; and produce a unicorn.

Last edited:
So you're telling me there's a chance?

Output bearing retainer is 95.9% of the battle.

Output shaft, bearing, seal are all easy to come by (relatively speaking) should they need to be replaced.

Balance of the actual brake is easier than Easter eggs at a church picnic to find.

Short answer is, go buy yourself a lottery ticket, 'cause one in a million odds seem favorable today.

Am I really that lucky? . Have I fallen into that rare situation;where I'm in the right place , and at the right time? The transfer case that allows my rear parking brake assembly to work on my "newish" transfer case seems to be able to work on my newer case. So it all may work ok!

Just a couple other items that I forgot to mention. You will need the longer. Tcase bolts. I have the part numbers if you need those. Also your tcase shifter will not work with the new 5 speed. I bought the twin stick setup.

I have the longer bolts that Cruiserparts.net sent me and the transfer case shifter that's supposed to work with the H55F. The bracket is longer, but other than that, I can't see a big difference. But I haven't removed the existing one yet. I do have pictures on this thread as Delancy has noticed.

001.JPG

002.JPG

It looks like the H55F lines up to the cross member on my truck. But I've been told I need a 60 series cross member and a little modification to that.
I'll find out when I finally start the swap.

Nice going. I haven't even tried the 4 wheel drive functionality on my rig since I got the Cardan U-joint removed. You'd think that would be the first thing I'd check out. I immediately moved on to the next issue; selling my 62 and getting a 5 speed. On another note, I got the plastic 5th gear oiler cup and it's self explanatory as far as installation. You can't help but wonder why they didn't make it out of aluminum, but maybe they thought if it comes loose, plastic won't eat a gear.

006.JPG

Hello,
I got that mustard hj47 from dr jay!
This is an awesome thread for a newbie like me. Thank you all.
Gswest that is an awesome build.
Could you guys help point me in the right direction?
My troopy has a tank i
Underneath the body under the drivers seat(its rhd). Its got hoses but they seem disconnected. Is this part of the vacuum system?
The brakes work but are kind of weak/ mushy..... No vacuum?
The car starts and runs great to me but the 4wd shifter will not shift out of 2h
Wont budge. Is there a procedure to follow for it to shift to 4h and then 4L?
Is the transfer case also vacuum operated

Small world. That was at our MVD recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom