Tapping into fuse panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me start by saying i hate electrical and not affraid to admit im clueless when it comes down to it!

So my question is when tapping into the panel for say gauge power for aftermarket gauge how does one do it with our glass type fuses? I know how to do it on blade style fuses but not sure wit this.

Im trying to not burn my rig down haha.

P.S im a visual guy so picture explain thing to me not so much words...

This is one way. I think my 77 had a spare circuit somewhere on the fusebox.

FuseTapFuseTapsForAGCRoungGlassFuse.jpg

There are two additional open spades/connectors coming off the back side of the OEM fuse panel/block. You could possibly use one of them?

I guess my statement above depends on the year and/or fuse box type.

Last edited:
I routinely add a second fuse panel and run a wire from the battery post on the starter, conveniently located right next to the firewall. Zero chance of hurting the factory panel...or wiring.

Last edited:
I agree with Mark. The best way to stay out of trouble, avoid overloading the OEM fuse panel (and fusible link), and add 'modern' fuses is to add a separate panel with it's own main feed.

There are two additional open spades/connectors coming off the back side of the OEM fuse panel/block. You could possibly use one of them?

I guess my statement above depends on the year and/or fuse box type.

On the 78 pigs one is always hot the other switched. There was a piece of black insulation (heat shrink) on both of them. I used the switched one for the light in the tach.

I agree with Mark. The best way to stay out of trouble, avoid overloading the OEM fuse panel (and fusible link), and add 'modern' fuses is to add a separate panel with it's own main feed.

Any pics of how this looks? Like i said i learn by seeing not reading lol.

Thanks Dick and Mark

Lot better picture now.

Edit. Just spent 20 minutes having the kid teach me how to use my phone camera.

IMG_20170809_144436.jpg

Last edited:
Asked the kid how I can turn the picture. It took him 5 seconds to do it. Guess I need to go back to school. The terminals are facing towards the firewall.
IMG_20170809_142334.jpg

Any pics of how this looks? Like i said i learn by seeing not reading lol.

Here's how I did mine: I purchased an aftermarket fuse block with a relay built in, so that every position can be run either switched on and off with ignition, or always hot. I put the auxiliary fuse block in one end of my Con-Ferr tool box that sits right behind the front seats. The main power (the heavier wires on the left) goes straight to the battery, under the driver's seat and floor mat, through an existing hole/grommet in the firewall, along the top of the fender, to the battery.

^^^Yeah, something like that.

Learned something new. Still like my way better. ;)

Somewhat off topic, but has anyone every come across a true updated replacement blade type fuse panel that could be swapped with the original one for greater reliability? Sort of a plug and play install? Or is that just too unicorny?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom