Taller Jack Stands - What are you using or Making? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Been looking for a set of 4 stands that range from about 25" - 35"+. I would like to use them for supporting the bare frame at the ends for blasting and painting after tub removal. Seems all the standard units like Jegs, Summit, etc....do not have the reach. When you jump to ones that do have that upper reach they become very expensive, like $400 for a set of 4. Just wondering what others have been using or what you have made.

This is what I had in mind because they range from 28"- 46"

I'm thinking that if you want to save some $$ and if you have a welder you can make some supports real cheap and easy with some metal pipes, since you won't need big load capacity, and even easier still if you don't need the height adjustment capability.

If you're supporting a bare frame, just make some sawhorses out of wood. That'll be plenty strong.

That being said, I have a pair of those big sunnex stands. They're heavy SOBs, but I love em.

If you're supporting a bare frame, just make some sawhorses out of wood. That'll be plenty strong.

That being said, I have a pair of those big sunnex stands. They're heavy SOBs, but I love em.
It will start with the bare frame but once it comes back from powder coating, they will also serve as the support for the build platform. Seems the Sunnex stands are well liked. I just dislike the price tag. Do you know if the Sunnex ones are at least made in the USA?

It will start with the bare frame but once it comes back from powder coating, they will also serve as the support for the build platform. Seems the Sunnex stands are well liked. I just dislike the price tag. Do you know if the Sunnex ones are at least made in the USA?

You're still not talking about a ton of weight. I'd build some sawhorses.

Re; sunnex mounts, no clue if they're made in the USA, don't really care.

I built a set of these.
MVIMG_20201016_075507.jpg

if you have access to some tree rounds, you've got an easy way to go. Was just watching a vid where they were testing 4" rounds and they were supporting well over 10 tons each before failure... Should be enough for a frame... :) And readily adjustable with a chainsaw too... (if somewhat unidirectionally...)

Stack 2x4s, nailed together with an occasional layer of plywood between them.
Usually in about a 10.5" x 10.5" square.
When you project is done, they can help out with the celebratory bonfire.

I've been loving Dirt Lifestyles, bought way too many tools based on his recommendation. But there was a good topic on building your own jacks here:

Any old wheel + 2" square receiver tube (male and female) + c-channel on top + 2" -- spaced holes in the male receiver = ultra heavy duty jack stand. This one ranges from 20" to 32" and has an auxiliary plate to hold FJ40 fenders (the last application):)
IMG_3619.jpg

Any old wheel + 2" square receiver tube (male and female) + c-channel on top + 2" -- spaced holes in the male receiver = ultra heavy duty jack stand. This one ranges from 20" to 32" and has an auxiliary plate to hold FJ40 fenders (the last application):)
View attachment 2540706
Nice, very interesting idea. I have plenty of junk wheels around here and I was just thinking of what to do with them 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom