Talk me into or out of a FJ80 - Bought it! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is funny everyone mentions fuel economy. This is where it gets funny. First I DD a GMC Yukon Denali with a 6.0 in it. Second, I own a gas station along with my repair shop.... and I live less than 5 miles from the shop. I sold my 4 cyl Honda Accord because I only filled up 3 times in 6 months.

I work on all types of vehicles at work but do have my Cruisers customers as well. I do like the power of the 100's and even more with the 200's but they do not look as much like a Land Cruiser as the older ones. I like 60's too.

I know this is the 80's forum so it may be biased but I do like them. I had a customer just pick one up from Land Cruiser Heaven with a new paint, tires, lift ect and it looked really good and had the new leather interior.

I wheeled Woody's 80 out at Sand Hollow and it was fun but a lot of sheet metal and glass.

yes the mention of mpg I find amusing also! My drive to work is about 5 miles. So Imine all summer. A tank of fuel, well to E anyways gets me 200 miles of in town driving which is 2.5-3 weeks per tank. For the miles per smiles it’s simply awesome, too me!

my plan is for remote exploration when I am finished all the baselining.

I have owned a 40: its cool, not comfortable and small.

I have owned four 60 series: cool, more comfortable and lots of room. A little low on power, for me.

I now have a 80: still cool with classic styling and pretty good comfort, adequate power for me.

I do not hardcore off-road.

Buy the 80, you will like it

Last edited:
Sooooo I got the call this morning. Looks like the 80 had a puddle of coolant under it today and was low on coolant. He have replaced the water pump, radiator in the past so without seeing it I have no clue. Do the head gaskets leak externally or internally or both?

He is going to top it off and bring it to me to look at. He asked if I still wanted to buy it, this may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

What do you guys think it is worth, ballpark without knowing anything else?

Head gasket usually leaks internally. Whatever the issue is, it's likely an easy fix for you.

Price seems tough to nail down on these things but undercarriage (IE: rust) and interior condition would be big determining factors for me. Ballpark, $7-10k?

External leaks are likely the rear heater hard lines rusted out, or the Pesky Heater Hose on the driver side of the engine. Rarely there will be an external leak at the rear of the head gasket but it wouldn't really puddle I don't believe.

Price maybe $4-5k if it is the head gasket, $7-9k if it is just a rusted out line. Rough numbers since we haven't seen any pictures, etc.

Sooooo I got the call this morning. Looks like the 80 had a puddle of coolant under it today and was low on coolant. He have replaced the water pump, radiator in the past so without seeing it I have no clue. Do the head gaskets leak externally or internally or both?

He is going to top it off and bring it to me to look at. He asked if I still wanted to buy it, this may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

What do you guys think it is worth, ballpark without knowing anything else?

Looks like the heater control valve is the problem. I will order one from the dealer in the am. I will get some hoses too. In the meantime I made him an offer... Thanks for the responses, I will let you know if I own an 80!

New valve is in. Changed oil and ordered a few things for it. 62 next to it is a customers that I am resealing the drivetrain and rebuilding the front axle.

3FAF2126-CC3B-4A0A-A42E-01EC3A4F87E5.jpeg

D5F6279F-86C6-411D-91A2-44E7BA5FCFC5.jpeg

A4B08177-9BD9-4ADB-B823-74838FE20D1B.jpeg

14A1546A-4D8C-4B24-BE7C-83463C221FE5.jpeg

0BE9E067-B6EE-43BD-B04D-645DA10002C0.jpeg

The only reasons I question my 80 series purchase are simply because I drive it so little, I don't have covered space to work on it, and I haven't devoted the time I should have for some minor but pita issues(slow windows, leaky rear quarter windows). due to those things, I sometimes think I should have bought a 100 series, or the 4runner with v8. I love the look of the 80 series though, and the only reason it's sidelined right now, is due to a parts order that went awry (not from a mud vendor).
You clearly have the Land Cruiser bug and you seem to have the space and skills for pretty much any issue that comes up. If you can, I say buy it.

Yes, I did buy it. I am now an 80 owner! I have had a bunch of 40's, still do. Owned a 62, sold it due to it being soooo stock and I do not want to monkey it up....wish I had kept it and tripled my money on it...

Anyways. This is a collectors edition triple locked, one of 826 made, and I am thinking it will stay in the collection for a while.

Last edited:
Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom