Takata airbag recall, may not affect the 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No recall here.

('94 :doh: )

I checked my VIN this morning and am all clear.

You fancy people with your airbags.

When I was listening to the radio this morning, the reporter informed all the listeners that if your vehicle was more than 10 years old it wouldn't qualify. Not sure if that's true just reporting on the reporter!

When I was listening to the radio this morning, the reporter informed all the listeners that if your vehicle was more than 10 years old it wouldn't qualify. Not sure if that's true just reporting on the reporter!

Yeah that's odd because my understanding was there was no limit on recalls. For example my FJ60 got a new gas tank just a few years ago. Put my VIN in and viola! New gas tank.

Yeah I'm wrong. From NHTSA:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety...le+Safety+Defects+and+Recalls+Campaigns.print

"Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?

Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.

Also, if the manufacturer challenges the agency’s final decision of a safety defect, there is no obligation for the manufacturer to remedy the defect while the case is in court. If you decide to have your vehicle remedied at your own expense while the case is pending and the court upholds NHTSA’s final decision, you may be entitled to reimbursement. (Be sure to save all receipts and paperwork so that you can prove the repairs were made.) However, if the court ultimately rules the defect is not safety related, Federal law does not require that the manufacturer reimburse you for the repair work"

My understanding is that the issues are inadvertent inflation and the potential, in some cases at least, of that projecting shrapnel into the body. My understanding was this was due to a switch by Takata, the maker, to ammonium nitrate sometime after 80 series production ceased in 1997. The capsule containing the charge is prone to developing air leaks and ammonium nitrate is very prone to absorbing moisture and becoming unstable. So the issue only would apply if any 80 series airbags had the ammonium nitrate charge. Not applicable to new production, I'd say, but it's possible that replacement part airbags for the 80 series were affected that were produced after the switchover.

There may also be a difference between what the government can force them to do and what the courts and investors might. Not sure how the statute of limitations re recalls plays out in civil court, but it's possible there is the potential for liability that a company and its investors may want to address -- unless that 10-year rule also insulates the maker from civil actions by owners. And damage to a company's rep could reach proportions where it would be better to take the hit to profit of doing corrective action for a year or two vs outright bankruptcy.

I'm glad my truck doesn't have airbags...

Just checked my Camry Hybrid for grins and found out there is a recall on the brake reservoir. Thanks!

If Toyota has a recall they will almost never expire. My 93 LC still showed to have the O2 sensor recall open so I had it done no problem. Now a SSC, special service campaign, or LSC, limited service campaign, will expire after a set time.

The Tundra I bought my folks got the recall notice for the airbags as did my sister's Camry. After checking the recall site it seems the 80 series is not affected...or at least not affected yet. Curious to see how this turns out. From my understanding recalls don't expire.

Just put your VIN in here: http://www.toyota.com/recall

Entered my VIN and it told me I get a new head gasket! :hmm:

I was kinda hoping just a little teeny tiny bit that my Lexus would apply to at least the passenger side airbag.....so I could negotiate the difference in labor to have the dealer change my heater core while they had the dash out. *sniff*
oh well.....just going to have to suck it up and waste a few days ripping and tearing the dash apart!!

Entered my VIN and it told me I get a new head gasket! :hmm:

You could've just looked at your signature and known you'd need a new head gasket sooner or later... :flipoff2:

kinda off topic .. but I wonder how much $$$ this recall represents for Toyota ..

They'll be billing the vendor......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom