Tailgate Liner - Crying over spilt beer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to figure out a cheap way of covering the tailgate with something flat so I can set a beverage down without spilling. Am leaning toward a sheet of aluminum screwed/riveted down. Anyone come up with something more elegant? I've seen many of the storage solutions but I'd rather not cut and storage isn't my goal. I'd like to keep this thing non-permanent, if possible.

maybe focus on the can rather than the tailgate
1568035625551.png
1568035645480.png

I’ve always thought about using a cutting board material. Something inexpensive so replacement after a couple years wouldn’t be too costly. Idea was for basic cooking needs, cutting limes for beers, etc. all with easy cleanup.

I've never really checked how hot the bottom of my Coleman stove gets but if I were cooking on it I think I'd use a metal surface, maybe 20~22gauge stainless. Most plastics will handle 150~170 degrees. Powdercoat will handle over 200 if you use a powdercoated steel.
Stainless wouldn't need a coating . You could use steel and coat it with Lizardskin

Luis at Australian Door Cards quoted me $110AUD plus around $160AUD to ship an ABS tailgate panel and fasteners.

I cut a sheet of tan mdpe (marine lumber-like material) to fit and used well nuts in the original holes to attach it.

Works well, and was very easy to work with, but I'm not gonna say it was cost-effective. Hard to buy colors besides white and black locally, and shipping a big enough sheet is a killer. But if you can find it locally - Florida might have more options - it could be relatively cheap. Look up King Starboard or "marine mdpe" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'll upload pics as soon as I get a chance.

There is a vendor that makes replacement panels for 100 series out of cutting board material. Forget which one, I’ll do some googlege.

There's a company in Seattle called TAP Plastic that I took my 100 series piece to and they traced it out onto 3/16" HDPE. Rounded the edges, drilled some holes in it and used rubber bulge nuts to mount. Worked great for over 8 years before doing a storage lid. Think I paid $60.

Also remember that the tailgate down is a standing spot when dealing with gear on the roof rack (if you've got one) and a standing spot if you don't to be able to wash & wax the rear of the roof. So I'd put something down you can stand on. Anything metal will get too hot in the sun if you want to sit on it.

Also remember that the tailgate down is a standing spot when dealing with gear on the roof rack (if you've got one) and a standing spot if you don't to be able to wash & wax the rear of the roof. So I'd put something down you can stand on. Anything metal will get too hot in the sun if you want to sit on it.
Cast iron cook top lol psssss dinner is ready

What is this "Wash & Wax" of which you speak? LOL

I still wash but I'm 60 now so I don't bother with waxing. That's for the younger guys that still date. I do occasionally trim
the pesky ear hairs

What about the nose and eyebrows?

thread hi-jack alert!! from cruiser gear to man-scaping?? ;)

Picture, finally-

This is King Starboard, aka Starboard, aka HDPE Marine Board Sheet. 1/4" thick, color is Tan or Sandshade, depending on the manufacturer. There is a gray color as well, plus black, and white.

The stuff is really soft and can be cut easily with a jigsaw/table saw/router. To mount it I used well nuts in 6 of the the original holes. 3/8" diameter well nuts from McMaster-Carr did not fit in those holes, but random mystery-sized ones from my local Ace did. No drilling or modifying needed on the actual tailgate at all.

(Edit: it's "soft" meaning easy to work with. But a pretty durable surface and made to be exposed to sun and saltwater continuously.)

If you live near a distributor and can pick up tan or gray HDPE at will call, it can be had pretty cheap. Around $40 for enough to match the tailgate carpet pattern. If, like me, you have to special order it from your marine supply shop, and there is a minimum sheet size, it will cost a lot more and you'll end up with a bunch of tan HDPE sitting around your garage.

IMG_0996.JPG

ut I'd rather not cut and storage isn't my goal. I'd like to keep this thing non-permanent, if possible.

Last edited:
Picture, finally-

This is King Starboard, aka Starboard, aka HDPE Marine Board Sheet. 1/4" thick, color is Tan or Sandshade, depending on the manufacturer. There is a gray color as well, plus black, and white.

The stuff is really soft and can be cut easily with a jigsaw/table saw/router. To mount it I used well nuts in 6 of the the original holes. 3/8" diameter well nuts from McMaster-Carr did not fit in those holes, but random mystery-sized ones from my local Ace did. No drilling or modifying needed on the actual tailgate at all.

If you live near a distributor and can pick up tan or gray HDPE at will call, it can be had pretty cheap. Around $40 for enough to match the tailgate carpet pattern. If, like me, you have to special order it from your marine supply shop, and there is a minimum sheet size, it will cost a lot more and you'll end up with a bunch of tan HDPE sitting around your garage.

View attachment 2086897
Looks awesome and almost exactly what I'm looking for. There is a place a in Tarpon Springs Florida that does custom work in this material...thought I'd pop up there and see what they have to say. If it is outrageously expensive (probably), I'll buy the materiel and do myself. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom