Builds Tagged '67 LV build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the past year I have been visiting MUD to buy parts and soak up as much information as possible about my "brass" tagged 45LV - build date 11/1965. What I've come to realize is that getting up to speed on an LV is a lot of ground to cover, and if I try to do it alone my build will not turn out the way I want. I need help, I have questions. And based on other build threads I've seen, MUD members are more than willing to help and almost always have the answers - asking nothing more than a few pics from time to time!. So here goes.

I bought my LV in January 2018. It had been sitting for a while and my plan was to clean it up, get it back on the road and enjoy life in the slow lane. As you can see from the pics, there was a lot of cleaning to be done.

FJ45 Driver's side as purchased.png
FJ45 Passenger side.png
NC bound from Oklahoma.JPG

Over the next month or two I cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more while the shop I take my IH Scout to went about getting her roadworthy. While doing all that cleaning, top and bottom, I discovered a lot. The bad - when purchasing I hadn't realized that the rear wheel wells had been cut!! The good - the floors and the rest of the body was in remarkably good shape, perhaps due to a protective layer of orange clay dust covering everything and requiring lots of effort to remove. By March 2018 my LV was as clean as it could be and ready for the road. I treated her to new shoes for our first drive.

Passengener side after cleaning and new shoes.jpg
imagejpeg_0[2].jpg
Front cleaned and new shoes.jpg

imagejpeg_0[2].jpg

Last edited:
Body panels look great. How's the floor?

I resisted creating this thread because unlike most of you I do not have mad metal or mechanical skills. Professionals are taking care of the bodywork, paint and engine rebuild. My role is parts and information gathering, and a few months back I started zinc plating small parts and fasteners. There's lots of pic posting to do to get you up to where we are now in the build; metal mostly done and getting ready for some paint. I'll stay at it until I do, but it may take a while.

Right now I have to ask a question the body shop asked me yesterday. Was the firewall painted body color (Capri Blue in my case as confirmed by original paint beneath side cowl cover)?

IMG_2773.jpg

Or was it black? I had assumed body color based on pics of other LVs restorations I have seen, but yesterday Brett, bodyshop owner, gently sanded off the existing black paint to see if he could find Capri Blue underneath. He didn't. Just went from black to primer to metal. All input appreciated.

Last edited:
Oh, what I wouldn't give to have floors like that!! Great rig. Even with the wheel wells cut, you are miles ahead of most every other LV on the planet. Lots more to learn but enjoy, it is quite a ride and you are in the right place to find the answers. I look forward to the build. Looks like you are going all stock?

Oh, what I wouldn't give to have floors like that!! Great rig. Even with the wheel wells cut, you are miles ahead of most every other LV on the planet. Lots more to learn but enjoy, it is quite a ride and you are in the right place to find the answers. I look forward to the build. Looks like you are going all stock?

Thanks! Solid floors was a lot of the reason I decided to restore rather than drive as is. And because it was pretty complete, decided to go all in on a rotisserie, nut and bolt, back to stock odyssey. As you can see from the pics below those wheel wells have been addressed - that was a priority!

IMG_2747.jpg
IMG_2751.jpg
IMG_2752.jpg

I knew someone would spot that! Rather than purchase a cloth headliner, PO installed thin wood paneling. The longitudinal pieces you asked about was what he screwed the paneling to. When I got it all out I had 2 more inches of headroom! The ribs got a little bent, but the roof itself was undamaged.

Headroom is good. I have already hit my head on the roof cross bar. The OME suspension is not bad in terms of the ride but the original seat springs are un-shocked and can produce some lift! Thinking of putting some padding on that cross bar before I do the headliner. Any one know how much room is between the cross brace and the head liner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom