Builds Tagged '67 LV build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing like seeing your rig on a rotisserie to know you're all in!

IMG_2733.jpg
IMG_2737.jpg
IMG_2738.jpg
IMG_2745.jpg
IMG_2778.jpg

Yeah, once the body comes off the frame you are at the crossroads/ graveyard. So many have died there. It is where all things, money, time, skills, space and loved ones, get tested. But, it is also the turning point where it is all up from there if you can grin and bear it, the payoff is awesome!

I mentioned previously that I am zinc plating parts for the build. Began as more of a convenience than anything else - looking at all those sandwich bags of screws, bolts, brackets, etc., I thought how am I ever going to organize all this, send it to the plater who'll probably just jumble it all together, and then sort it out before assembly. What I didn't expect was to enjoy it so much! And how much more I felt a part of the restoration because I was making a hands-on contribution.

A few weeks back I was looking for some hard to find hardware. I thought I'd have a better chance of getting folks to look through their old coffee can stashes of bolts if I offered to zinc plate some hardware in exchange. After posting I was asked about the plating system and offered a few of my experiences. Here's a link to it in case there's any interest.

IMG_3328.jpg

Yes, found the green starter a little while back. Not even sure that long generator is correct for my year, but it sure looks cool.

Don glad to see you started a build thread! The LV looks amazing I am certainly envious of how clean that body is. The generators I believe got phased out in mid 1964 as it isn’t shown in my 1965 parts books just the alternator. I’ve had several late ‘64 early ‘65 and they all have been wired for alternstors. Regardless if you’re set on having a generator I might have one but I need to dig around to be sure.

I’m looking forward to following the build keep up the good work.

JP

Good to hear from you ClemsonCruiser. No need to go digging as I'm calling off the search. I should have realized, based on the scarcity of those generators, that they were early-early and not correct for my year. Glad you were around to straighten me out!

All in, that’s for sure! This will be fun.

I don’t understand the coil-to-dizzy wiring, both + and - to the dizzy?

Ahhh, Sunday FJ fun day is here. Time for a project!

Decided to rebuild my vacuum diaphragm assembly a few weeks ago. The first few days were spent de-griming and taking it apart. Having never rebuilt one before, I was a little intimidated, mostly by the strange look of it - is it just me or do these things look like the inspiration for the Starship Enterprise?

starship.jpg
IMG_3577.jpg

Once I had it apart, intimidation was replaced by appreciation for how beautifully simple they are - more on that later. The first order of business was to order any parts I needed. I have the '66 to '71 version. The service parts you'll likely need are the seal around the diaphragm pushrod (SOR 072-18B for $6.27) and the O-ring that sits between the diaphragm and diaphragm plate (SOR 072-820A for $3.18). My shift fork was showing some wear so I also purchased a used one from SOR (072-03B-U for $51).

While I was waiting for parts, I re-plated all the hardware and media blasted the casing with walnut shell media. Time to lay everything out and start the reassembly.

IMG_3565.jpg
IMG_3567.jpg

Last edited:
Started by installing the diaphragm pushrod and the new fork into the housing. The pic on SOR only shows the fork itself, but when mine came it also included the front drive shaft. I started with the diaphragm pushrod first because the base of it connects to the arm with a pin and carter key and it helps with access. The base of the front drive shaft has a slot cut in it and indirectly connects to the arm via a shoe sized to fit in the slot. The arm is pinned at the left side.

IMG_3568.jpg

Next it was time to work on the top side, beginning with installation of the diaphragm.

The first photo shows the new seal installed, the second shows the location of the O-ring on top of the lower diaphragm plate, and last we have the diaphragm in position, the top diaphragm plate in place and the nut snugged down.

IMG_3569.jpg
IMG_3571.jpg
IMG_3572.jpg

Forgot to mention the cover plate gasket (SOR 072-04 for $4.25) and the freeze plug (SOR 072-890 for $2.70) and you'll want a new gasket to re-connect the diaphragm to the transfer case (SOR 068-40A for $1.07)

Don, What a great LV and thread. You're a very lucky man to find one with the body in such great shape. Really looking forward to watching this LV come together. By the looks of the work you are doing yourself this is sure to be one of the finer LVs on the road when you're finished.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday going through and organizing parts boxes that I haven't gone through in 10 years. I found everything you first PM'd me about except your rear seat brackets, but that is the one item I'm sure I have. I still have 2 big boxes left to go through. I'll send you some pics tonight.
IMG_20190328_151218447.jpg

If you think your PO was happy with a drill bit, you haven't seen anything. If you can't get your doors to stay shut, just attach gate locks to it... wait for it... On all 4 doors... wait for it... on the outside AND inside of each door. Oh, and mount a rifle rack to the face of your dash because behind the seat isn't a good option. :) I think this stuff makes restoring it a little more fun.

I need some help regarding window crank and door opener escutcheons. Were the large metal ones phased out after '65 and replaced with smaller diameter rubber ones in '66 and '67 LVs? Which is correct for my tagged '67 (11/65 build)?

escutcheon large.jpg
Escut new.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom