t-case gear wear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, quick question for y'all.

I pulled apart my t-case for new bearings and seals and discovered this beautiful gear. Any thoughts? Is she toast or should I toss it back together and forget about it?

Thanks,

115902763_2833329323462607_5624043446497379422_n.jpg

116131762_575063473174873_7702613676507487017_n.jpg

what does the mating gear look like?

The mating gear has some marking but much less significant. I can get some photos if needed.

Was the case quiet before you took it apart (gear whine) or could you hear the gears over the (presumably bad) bearings?

I would say there was a tiny bit of gear noise prior to removal but that was not the initial reason for disassembly. I basically started by pulling the head and then realized the bottom end seals need replacing which led to rebuilding the trans and t-case

This is your low-speed driver. Only used in low range. Hmmm... I would ask the same question, what does the driven look like?

Also look around at the tooth area that meshes with the sleeve and output shaft as well as the bushing fit on the driven gear. If there's severe wear and slop, that could be an issue. My high speed gear had good teeth but the bushing in the driven was loose (shot) and the splines too worn. Can get you a ref pic of the bad gear if you need.

Looks like the transfer was wheeled hard offroad, maybe rocked fwd-rvrs alot? Both sides of the tooth shows wear. High speed driver doesn't seem to show the same issue so....

Pic of a "good" used driver if you need. I used mine - your's is just a "bit" more worn. Hard call.

20200620_144111.jpg

This is your low-speed driver. Only used in low range. Hmmm... I would ask the same question, what does the driven look like?

Also look around at the tooth area that meshes with the sleeve and output shaft as well as the bushing fit on the driven gear. If there's severe wear and slop, that could be an issue. My high speed gear had good teeth but the bushing in the driven was loose (shot) and the splines too worn. Can get you a ref pic of the bad gear if you need.

Looks like the transfer was wheeled hard offroad, maybe rocked fwd-rvrs alot? Both sides of the tooth shows wear. High speed driver doesn't seem to show the same issue so....

Pic of a "good" used driver if you need. I used mine - your's is just a "bit" more worn. Hard call.

View attachment 2381141

Thanks for the response. Whatever happened to my gears was the byproduct of past ownership abuse. I think there is a pretty good chance that some contaminants found there way into the case and destroyed that gear "whether it be dirt or metal". I think the best option is to find a replacement so if anyone has suggestions Im open to listen.

Thanks, Joe

Well, if you look at the high-speed driver side, which is used most, it does't show near the same pattern (from what I can see). So I would 2nd guess contaminants. If you suspect that, then check the bushings in the gears on the driven shaft for sure. But my guess is just the a bit more of the offroad experience. Note my low-speed has some of the same wear as yours, just significantly less extent. I think anytime you rock the rig to get out you're gonna get some of this - just my imagining.
These idlers are available new ( fjparts has 'em and others - 36221 part number and around $200 depending on your year). Will only take a small chunk out of your stimulus check.
BTW, I discovered stuff called "transmission goo" on my rebuild this time. This is good stuff on reassembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom