switch from 5w-30 to 15w-40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I switched from Rotella 5w-40 to Chevron 15w-40 a thousand miles ago. I haven't noticed a difference except for lower oil consumption.

I'm getting ready to do an oil change. I was curious what yall think of rotella t 15w-40?

I've been running 15w-40 since I got the rig 4 months ago and got pretty stoked when I saw this rotella stuff in a gallon jug at wal-mart for under $15.

Shell Rotella t 15w-40 recommended?!

(if so now its time to figure out gallon conversion...errrr):cheers:

That's what I used. Makes for a cheap oil change

I switch to Mobil 1 0w-40 and have had good luck with it thus far. It is pricey but you can't put a price on peace of mind! The other oil I would recommend is Redline full synthetic, again pricey! I didn't like Rotella it seem to go right through my truck like water. The dino oil I used would not keep the oil pressure up to an acceptable level at idle after say a 1000 miles IMO. I switched to synthetic and have not had that issue since...

Also, this goes without saying but always us a Toyota filter!

Hope this helps! :cheers:

FWIW, I had a little bit of rear main seepage running 5w-30. I switched to Shell Rotella 15w-40 and the rear main seepage stopped completely. I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you want to swap oil consumption for fuel consumption.

Edit: One more thing. My oil pressure with 5w-30 at idle is borderline acceptable. With 15w-40, I saw a pretty decent-sized increase in oil pressure at idle.

I have been running the shell rotella 15-40 in all my previous trucks with good success, and put it in my "new to me" 1994 FZJ80 with 160,000 miles.

I was talking to CDan on the phone (placing an order) and mentioned that I had the 15-40 Rotella in the 80. His immediate reply was to drain it out ASAP as it was way too heavy for the cruiser and could damage the engine.... apparently there is a seal of some sort or some component in the front of the engine behind the timing cover that can get 'blown out" or something expensive like that.....as I recall the conversation...

Maybe CDan will jump in here and enlighten my fading memory on exactly what he said.....

Did you do a search on the Rotella 15-40 ?? I would be suprised if it has not been discussed here before....

I did do a search for rotella 15w-40. Didn't find anything, but its been my experience sometimes its tougher than you'd expect to find something via search. I know many members run 15w-40 and speak highly of it. I've been running 15w-40 since I got my rig 4 months ago, but am so little of a mechanic I didn't know if the "rotella t" was something drastically different enough that it might hurt the LC.

I hope CDan does chime in here and explain why 15w-40 is not a good option.

I just tried to PM CDan with a link to this thread and apparently his inbox is full.

However, Ebagg mentioned he's running 15w-40 in both his rigs and it would greatly surprise me if he were doing something to his trucks he was sure about--he knows his stuff. I wonder if the phone conversation with CDan was not specifically regarding 15w-40 or what?!

Last edited:
Oil Viscosity-
1fzfe Engine
20w50 oil -7 deg to 38+ 19 f to 100 f
15w40 oil -10 deg to 38+ 14 f to 100 f
10w30 oil -18 deg to 38+ 0 f to 100 f
5w30 oil -30 deg to 8 c -22 f to 46 f

Oil Viscosity-
1fzfe Engine
20w50 oil -7 deg to 38+ 19 f to 100 f
15w40 oil -10 deg to 38+ 14 f to 100 f
10w30 oil -18 deg to 38+ 0 f to 100 f
5w30 oil -30 deg to 8 c -22 f to 46 f

X2, 15W is good down to 14F, if you often start the rig when it's colder than that, then it's best to run a thinner oil. My rig has had a steady diet of Mobil One 15W-50 for ~70K miles, it likes it.

Where my rig is operated it's very warm, have never been to "Location: DUMPSTER DIVING", how is the weather there?:hillbilly:

I think there are a lot of guys using 15w-40 of various brands, and rotella syn is also fairly popular (5/40, I think).

Shell Rotella t

So being I know so little about cars, mechanics, I don't want to damage my engine.

I bought 2 gallons of the Shell Rotella t 15w-40.

Despite the "rotella t" its just regular 15w-40 yeah?
So, I've got 2 extra quarts in my rig of NAPA 15w-40, after I do the oil change today with Shell rotella t 15w-40... is there any harm of topping of with the NAPA 15w-40 down the road?

:cheers:

So being I know so little about cars, mechanics, I don't want to damage my engine.

I bought 2 gallons of the Shell Rotella t 15w-40.

Despite the "rotella t" its just regular 15w-40 yeah?
So, I've got 2 extra quarts in my rig of NAPA 15w-40, after I do the oil change today with Shell rotella t 15w-40... is there any harm of topping of with the NAPA 15w-40 down the road?

No harm.

I am of the opinion that oil is oil, it's all slippery and all works. I've seen many engine failures in foreign, domestic, overhead cam, pushrod, etc. engines. I've yet to see what that failed from the oil not lubricating correctly. The oil level is most important, especially in a loosely sealed engine as the 1FZ is. The tolerances on these are not tight hence the average consumption of oil is higher than most engines. There are many many other parts of these trucks that will come apart before the engine craps out from using too light or too thick of oil (within reason). Now, for performance engines (my Cobra) I do run a lighter oil at the track and follow the owners manual for every day oil. Since I live in Texas and it's always hot, I run the thickest oil the manual suggests. With regards to the 1FZ, I know many of the Venezuela guys run 20W without issue since it's hot year round. My advice, buy what's on sale and keep it at the right level and you'll be OK.

The Delo is my default oil. Just run it and forget about it. Buy it at Costco. What could be easier. It comes in gallons, each change takes 2 gallons. Easy.

Regarding the valve cover on the 3 FE. That gasket is super simple to change. Plus, your post tells me you have not set the valve lash before. That's also important to do at least once per year.

Modern engine tolerances are very tight and sticking with a lower winter rating allows oil to reach critical valve train areas faster on start up.

I see this said all the time, but exactly what tolerance is tighter? The oil clearance in the bearings is the same (and has been for 50 years).

Winter cold starts are improved with a lighter oil, though. Consider a 5w-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty oil if it gets cold where you live.

Plus, the OP has a 3FE. That's about an old fashioned/old school as you can get. 15w-40 is perfect for it and since the motor has flat tappets, the oil should have a robust enough additive package to prevent damage. 15w-40s HDEO oils are said to still protect flat tappet cams, but modern 5w-30s have had the additive pack reduced (oddly enough, to "protect" your catalytic converter)

Where my rig is operated it's very warm, have never been to "Location: DUMPSTER DIVING", how is the weather there?:hillbilly:

Weather's great !! Nice and warm 10 months out of the year..... :flipoff2: :lol:

I wonder if the phone conversation with CDan was not specifically regarding 15w-40 or what?!

The conversation was definately regarding the Rotella 15-40 because I had just put it in the day before....and he was tellling me to drain it.......that is an expensive oil enema....but I did reuse the new filter (OEM biggie) I am running 10-40 in it now with no problems........

I usedShell rotella t 15w-40 in my 2F 40 recently because I read a recent post from shell that stated that even though they have recently reduced the amount of ZDDP in this grade, it still has more ZDDP than conventional oils did in 2000. It went from 1400 PPM to 1200 PPM IIRC.

ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate) is an additive to help with metal to metal friction. This has been reduced in conventional oils because of EPA regulations and has been blamed for the premature failure of cam shafts in flat tappet engines.

Do a search on ZDDP and learn more than you ever want to know.

I'm will also be using this it in my 3fe 80 in a week or two. Tractor supply has it in 10 quart jugs and autozone carries it in 5 gal buckets. I'm planning on doing a price comparison by quart.

Put Shell rotella t SAE 15w-40 in my rig today.

(Seems to be driving faster! unfortunately, I'm 100% certain that's just because I'm still in my honeymoon stage with my LC so anytime I do anything, removing roof rack, fan clutch service, whatever, I think my rig drives faster!)

I'll post later down the road if I notice any negatives from the rotella t 15w-40.

Not strictly pertaining to this thread, but an interesting read none the less...

Oils Well that Ends Well

I usedShell rotella t 15w-40 in my 2F 40 recently because I read a recent post from shell that stated that even though they have recently reduced the amount of ZDDP in this grade, it still has more ZDDP than conventional oils did in 2000. It went from 1400 PPM to 1200 PPM IIRC.

ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate) is an additive to help with metal to metal friction. This has been reduced in conventional oils because of EPA regulations and has been blamed for the premature failure of cam shafts in flat tappet engines.

Do a search on ZDDP and learn more than you ever want to know.

I'm will also be using this it in my 3fe 80 in a week or two. Tractor supply has it in 10 quart jugs and autozone carries it in 5 gal buckets. I'm planning on doing a price comparison by quart.

Howdy

How about Chevron Heavy Duty Oil, anybody use/used in their cruiser?
I used two years ago in my van and I felt the difference and worked better then Castrol High Mileage 10w 40, but after that was impossible to find anymore to buy in local auto parts store....
However, last week I found at Fred Mayer again this oil and I bought just two quarter for now and I topped over the old oil some heavy duty oil before to leave for a trip in the woods and maybe it's to early to say if is working better, beside that for the first time, cruiser went over 16 miles per gallon in highway ( 40 miles+ 30 miles county road ). And 4 weeks before on the same highway and county road, with the same gasoline brand and almost with the same, speed and load, I got around to 12 miles per gallon!!! On my first trip I expend over 7 gallons to the last gas station before to go up in the mountain and in the second trip I expend about 4 gallons!!!
I hope the cruiser will keep have this good millage in the future :bounce::steer:.

CAR TALK

Anyone listen to Car Talk on NPR? This morning a caller claimed he was losing lots of oil from his Volvo 60 - and couldn't see how or where. They ended up telling the guy his motor was ruined given how hard he drove his car. To save the motor, switch over to synthetic oil to stem the oil loss. Huh? I thought synthetic could cause leaks in some engines - at least it seemed to happen to me. I now run Rotella 15w-40 here in the Florida heat and seems okay. I do seep but its manageable. Are they trying to revive the worn, tired seals, pistons, etc using synthetic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom