Survival Knife? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hard for me to define Survival knife...........
The ones i bought in the gone years were too expensive or crap or both since i tend to misuse them sooner or later anyway.
So usually i carry a cheap folding knife at work and made my own Survival knife, one that survives my kind of use.
P_20141011_155137.jpg

P_20141011_155203.jpg
P_20141011_155232.jpg

That is usualy a flat chisel that i changed over that it suits my needs, changed a few things like the groove in the front.
So if you need to cut rusted bolts, cut sheet metal, split wood, cut anything else with the long sharpened part or ropes with the part near the handle. At the top it has some small slits that could work for grinding.
The handle is just wrapped with electrical tape, once its ripped its cheap and easy to replace.
Yes some may smile about that selfmade primitive cheapskate wannabe knife but dont underestimate that thing.
Its made of 58HRC steel .......you can beat it with a BFH and all that will fail is the material you like to cut.
The sheath is made from saddle leather, a leather string and one brass chicago screw, simple and indestructable.

No.......no cork screw....but doesnt come wine in the US in bags anyway? ;)

I actually have the toned down version of that knife.

It's been in banging around for 25 odd years in different vehicles and bags. It's been a good knife. But unfortunately, the hilt was chewed by a dog years ago which makes it kinda annoying to use now. I need to replace the hilt with a new handle. Just have not figured the best way to do that.
This is the knife, just not mine.

zzztraders114.jpg

Love it. What is the stock material?
8o_iHrGcXP9LfISOZO_av1BIVMViBTJ2g6KszoXZDO0=w693-h520

Thats what it started from, made a few different ones now, even one with a nice rubber handle.
WP_002488.jpg

Now I have some work to do I guess :)
1418583512363.jpg

Any knife that you have with you when you need it. Carry a fallkniven f1 in civvy clothes and a Spyderco endura in uniform. My truck does have a dedicated glock field knife in it, amongst other things...

Now I have some work to do I guess :)

Honestly, I'd let that one go.

Give me a few days to get pics going, but I just rehandled a ForgeCraft butcher knife that would double an an end of the world "survival" knife, but could cut up your pig carcass for pork chops while waiting for the end of times.

ForgeCraft is super cool. Last made in 1968, very high quality 1095 carbon steel. Old school cool.

Give me a few days to get pics going, but I just rehandled a ForgeCraft butcher knife that would double an an end of the world "survival" knife, but could cut up your pig carcass for pork chops while waiting for the end of times.

ForgeCraft is super cool. Last made in 1968, very high quality 1095 carbon steel. Old school cool.

Its NICE! ^^

I know most don't like the bushcraft etc styles... But, I have made a few versions of it and I like them. The D2 steel holds an edge for quite awhile on them. The blades are a medium size and can still work well with small game and just the right size for cutting and splitting timber.

J

$20 in material and I'll have my old knife back. :)

It may not make sense, but 99% of the stuff I do doesn't. The main reason I want to resurrect it is because I've had it since 1987 and I feel it deserves to survive. ;)

Last edited:

Thanks for the heads up I'll look for Forgecraft on my bargain hunting forays at garage sales and in thrift stores.

Linen micarta

I know most don't like the bushcraft etc styles... But, I have made a few versions of it and I like them. The D2 steel holds an edge for quite awhile on them. The blades are a medium size and can still work well with small game and just the right size for cutting and splitting timber.
J

A D2 knife would be the next step up the quality line from 1095. Maybe 2 steps. Still a carbon steel, just better. How are you heat treating? That seems to be the real difference in how things turn out.

Regarding ForgeCraft--I got a set of 6 on ebay for $24. Only the slicer, boner, butcher and 8" Chef's knife are good, but the the Chef's knife(the one I wanted) is pristine. It's the next up for a new handle. I've missed a couple of good 10" Chef's on ebay, but I'll get one eventually.

For new handles, I've just been using wood scales from Woodcraft which is 10 minutes from me. For the pins, I've been using 3/16 brass round stock from the hardware store. At reevesci's suggestion, I've just been using (real) Tung oil to finish. It takes about 2 weeks to fully harden but is otherwise old school cool.

Hard for me to define Survival knife...........
The ones i bought in the gone years were too expensive or crap or both since i tend to misuse them sooner or later anyway.
So usually i carry a cheap folding knife at work and made my own Survival knife, one that survives my kind of use.
P_20141011_155137.jpg

P_20141011_155203.jpg
P_20141011_155232.jpg

That is usualy a flat chisel that i changed over that it suits my needs, changed a few things like the groove in the front.
So if you need to cut rusted bolts, cut sheet metal, split wood, cut anything else with the long sharpened part or ropes with the part near the handle. At the top it has some small slits that could work for grinding.
The handle is just wrapped with electrical tape, once its ripped its cheap and easy to replace.
Yes some may smile about that selfmade primitive cheapskate wannabe knife but dont underestimate that thing.
Its made of 58HRC steel .......you can beat it with a BFH and all that will fail is the material you like to cut.
The sheath is made from saddle leather, a leather string and one brass chicago screw, simple and indestructable.

You Sir, are a genius! I'd fly to where ever you are just for one of those! Screw convention.

Nope. You're thinking of milk in Canada. :hillbilly:

Your knife is a great idea. Does what you need. Can't ask for more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom