Survival Knife? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like 'em Andy.

These remind me of my grandmothers "OLD HICKORY" carbon steel knives made by ONTARIO, probably same era.

1C5A00A4-A5A6-4D39-AB11-4E387CC3F85F_zpswhg8ddr3.jpg

J

That's a great Old Hickory they don't make any more. Super cool that's it's a family item.

I just got a 10 in Forgecraft Chef's on Ebay. We'll see how nice it is but it looked pretty good in the pics. The hard part is finding one without a recurve near the heel from too much sharpening.

Regarding the leaf spring knife-what steel is that? 1075? I seem to remember they make (or made) kukri knives out of leaf springs, but they had to be Mercedes leaf springs because the steel was alleged to be better. I would commission a Land Cruiser Leaf spring knife if you get that going, just for fun. I could send some pretty flat ones!

That's a great Old Hickory they don't make any more. Super cool that's it's a family item.

I just got a 10 in Forgecraft Chef's on Ebay. We'll see how nice it is but it looked pretty good in the pics. The hard part is finding one without a recurve near the heel from too much sharpening.

Regarding the leaf spring knife-what steel is that? 1075? I seem to remember they make (or made) kukri knives out of leaf springs, but they had to be Mercedes leaf springs because the steel was alleged to be better. I would commission a Land Cruiser Leaf spring knife if you get that going, just for fun. I could send some pretty flat ones!

A, I tried to ask a couple of the Yota gurus, Beno, Dan and a couple others... either didn't know or no response. Looking back and searching I think it would be a 1080, 1084, or 1085.. Seems every era comment I find back in the late 60 to early 70s is about 1084 spring steel. The newer material went to 5160, 4140 and a few others.

I have access to positive material scanners, if I can catch the right guys at Acuren, TEAM Industrial or PSI . Just need to file the steel and take the shavings to them and within seconds I will have a result.

No matter if they are curved or flat.. they all would be cut, hammered and then treated. A few guys I ran across lately make swords out of the springs, pretty neat.

J

Here's my old hickory, chefs forge and an unknown knife with an odd blade. It had it cutting edge attached some how.
All from garage sales for about two dollars each.
image.jpg

Here's my old hickory, chefs forge and an unknown knife with an odd blade. It had it cutting edge attached some how.
All from garage sales for about two dollars each.
View attachment 1012369

So is this about survival knives? Or old kinda crappy knives that have survived?

So is this about survival knives? Or old kinda crappy knives that have survived?

In a knife fight, there are no rules. Just sayin'

And, those "survivors" would make excellent end of the world knives. Carbon steel knives often look used up, but still can be sharpened and go another 30 years. They can be sharpened on a rock. Try that with a "survival" knife.

Remember humans have used carbon steel knives for 2000 years, stainless steel knives for 50 years, and "supersteel" knives for 15 years.

Please define a "survival knife"

I was just given one of these and told to "throw this in the cruiser",
upload_2015-1-11_20-29-52.jpeg

Is that the Kershaw kit? I can't tell in the pic. If not, they make one just like it and a friend brought one on our last camping trip. It didn't last the weekend before the locking mechanism broke. It really is a great idea, just poorly executed in the case of Kershaw.

The deal is the old crappy knives posted here ARE survival knives. For example if you look at the Old Hickory in post #87 and look at old wood cut prints depicting scenes from the pioneer days in America odds are you will see a similarity in the shape of the knife to those use on the frontier. That form was what those guys used to survive, general camp chores, skinning and butchering big and small game, everything you do with a knife. As Andy pointed out the carbon steel is easy to sharpen in the field with nothing more than a rock and some spit.

The classic Kbar that most "survival" knives are modeled after is really designed for fighting more than survival.

Ok here are some survival knives
image.jpg

USAF Ontario jet piolt survival knife, wwii USN survival knife and a classic 1980 survival knife.

image.jpg

Just for fun here are some old school fixed blades and pocket knifes.

image.jpg

My survival/tactical folders. The two CKRT knifes m16's I use as machetes for making blinds for military IED training. They have each cut thousands of 1/2" to 3/4" branches. I would trust my life with these knifes.
The bench made is bad ass too. It's a tank of a knife made with d2 steel.
The tan one is a m21-14DSFG it's a slick knife too. I ground off one of the hilts to make it easier to get in and out of my pocket. It really makes it much nicer.

image.jpg

Some fixed blades. The black one is a freedom fighter by Ontario. I added the Swiss with case to the sheath.
Next is a USN fighter by pal it's a RH 35. The old crappy one is a old leaf spring knife and the last one is a stainless steel insulation knife.
Say what you want about the big fighter at first I thought what a overly big knife! But the more I hold it the more it empowers me!

image.jpg

Some bush craft style knifes.
First is a Damascus knife it's more for show. the next two are Anza knifes made out of files.
The folder is also a Anza but it's a very rear Anza founder I have never seen another one like it.
Last one is a hand forged little knife

Some knifes from France.
The fixed blade is a hand made laminated steel knife it's made with a carbon steel blade lemonade with stainless steel with an all of wood handle. It has a flaw in the blade so I saved hundred euros! Next is a classic French Laguole with birch wood scales. I like this knife a lot. It has a carbon steel blade that is hard to fined and the Opinel.
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom