Successfully Programmed Card Key to 2020+ GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope this will help somebody out. I just figured out programming a card key to my 2021 GX. I wasn't able to find any info on the card keys for the 2020+ GXs anywhere online, so I did some research and got it working.

My original 2021 key fob has an FCC ID of HYQ14FBF and the card key that I was able to program is HYQ14CBM. According to what I could find, it’s part number 89904-48X70 and the card key for the LS and LC. I got it off eBay for $200 with an uncut key blade. The seller is virginkeys and the ad states it’s an OEM key blade, but I think it’s aftermarket. Sometimes the dealers aren’t able to cut the aftermarket blades because their machines reject them. You might need to buy an original key blade (p/n 69515-30350) from the dealer for ~$40-$45 if that’s the case with the blade you receive.

Not sure which years of the GX have the HYQ14FBF key, but hope this will save someone the headache of figuring it out on their own.

Here’s some photos of my key fob and card key.

95FA9EA7-2314-487B-8A38-2099C514DEA8.jpeg
6379A085-6AA5-4942-BB4E-0AC36A88917D.jpeg
7EEB6A50-0922-4ECC-B9C3-3534E293780C.jpeg

with this are you now limited to locking and unlock with only the smart sensor on the door and hatch?

with this are you now limited to locking and unlock with only the smart sensor on the door and hatch?
On my 2021 Luxury I have lock/unlock sensors on both the front driver and passenger doors, as well as the buttons on the rear door. All of those recognize the card key. It also lets me start the car as well. Just got the blade cut and I can lock/unlock the glove box now as well. Basically I can use it the same as the key fob, just without the physical buttons.

Reactions: r2m
Didn't know the new GX's came with a different fob!
I wonder if it's backward compatible with pre '20, and likewise the old ones upward compatible.

I’ve been using my card key on my ‘12 for years now. Convenient just having key in my wallet. As noted above this is not a remote FOB.. you do have to leverage the sensors on the front handles and rear bar door.

I haven’t seen ‘20+ blade cut but design used for ‘10-‘19 models won’t fit in the card key.

Didn't know the new GX's came with a different fob!
I wonder if it's backward compatible with pre '20, and likewise the old ones upward compatible.
It’s definitely compatible with the pre-2020 models, but it would just be a card key with a different FCC ID, depending on the ID listed on the original key fob. There’s a long post on ClubLexus that has a lot more info for all the models up to 2019.

I’ve been using my card key on my ‘12 for years now. Convenient just having key in my wallet. As noted above this is not a remote FOB.. you do have to leverage the sensors on the front handles and rear bar door.

I haven’t seen ‘20+ blade cut but design used for ‘10-‘19 models won’t fit in the card key.
When I originally heard about the card keys for my LX, I remember heading that you can’t have the card blade cut if the original fob has a two-sided blade. I don’t know what year they changed it for the LX, but wow it’s crazy if it took Lexus until 2020 to make that change on the GX.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom