Success with Leatherique (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody have any idea how much of this stuff it would take to do all the seats in a LC (including 3rd row)? I need to decide whether to buy quarts or just get the gallons.

Thanks
Tom

and how much better is this than Lexol?
E

Eric,

I'm going to find out. I've been using Lexol for some time now and am not impressed with it's cleaning ability. Figured I'd try something else. Lots of folks swear by Lexol.

Leatherique is in its own class compared to Lexol; Lexol has petroleum distillates and some silicone substances that are drying to deep leather layers, peeling to the finish, and very hard on the stitches. Yes, Lexol is 100 percent better than ArmorAll but Leatherique is at least a 100 percent better than Lexol. HTH

[glow=black,2,2]Eric , it sounds as though you're being singled out ... maybe ya gots dog-breath . :D :beer:[/glow]
[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

didn't somebody say that BMW, Lexus and the like recommend Lexol?
can't be that bad, I would hope...
But I'm open to suggestions of better stuff, of course. Will look into Leatherique then...
E

Alot of BMW owners (at least the enthusiast site I frequented) use Lexol for regular maintenance (cleaning/conditioning), but when it came to major reconditioning (re-dye, crack repair, etc.), Leatherique was the only thing for the job. Not sure how they compare for just cleaning/conditioning.

[quote author=firetruck41 link=board=2;threadid=13183;start=msg122441#msg122441 date=1079494131]
Alot of BMW owners (at least the enthusiast site I frequented) use Lexol for regular maintenance (cleaning/conditioning), but when it came to major reconditioning (re-dye, crack repair, etc.), Leatherique was the only thing for the job. Not sure how they compare for just cleaning/conditioning.
[/quote]

I would honestly say for the cleaning part they are similar in results. However I would also honestly say that for the conditioning part and the super soft feel and the super intoxicating smell, and for the full line of repair products, Leatherique is truly in a class of its own. Nothing else I have had, including the "Connolly Hide Food" is as good. Another thought about the cleaning thing is that while Lexol can clean the surface similarly well, I do not know if it is cleaning into the inside of the leather like the leatherique does when it purges out all the salts and stuff from the leather?

Has anyone done a full seat restore on the early 80 Series leather (crappy/dry/cracks)

One of the BMW forums I visit has a good write up, and I have thought about doing both 5er and the 80...

Jim

Eric, you ever get your call back? Left a message late yesterday CA time and just spoke to Krysti this morning. You leave a bad number???

so folks, those who don't know would love to hear from you guys who ordered and used the stuff...
Namely, how well does it work?
thanks
Eric

Received, but probably won't get to it until this weekend.

I've done one application (last Saturday) and used up 2/3's of my bottle of restoration oil. I got the 2 pack, one oil and one cleaner 16oz. The back seats of my '99 have seen better days (kids) and I guess I was hoping for a miracle. I have to say that I wasn't blown away with this stuff as expected (and reported). It does clean fairly well and it smells OK. I'm considering getting some more and doing a few more applications.

BTW, I used a spray bottle to apply the oil and rubbed it in with my hands. I let it sit in the sun with the windows up for about 8 hours. I then used the cleaner and a towel to wipe the excess oil and dirt off.

well, I was wondering if Leatherique is much better than Lexol, which I thought was highly regarded as well.
Now, I must say that I am a bit disappointed in Lexol too. Tried it on a leather jacket before doing all the seats (the ole rule on testing on the cheaper part first). At first it seemed great, made the leater really supple. But now, after only a month or 2, it is starting to feel a little harder again... :-\
Maybe we are just expecting too much out of all this stuff.
But I keep on hoping to hear about the miraculous Leatherique...
E

My experience with Leatherique from several years ago was restoring an antique Benz, with red leather seats the texure of dry cardboard. Treat the seats, cover them with trash bags and park the car in the full summer sun for eight hours or more, then re-treat. The stuff restored enough moisture/suppleness that the seats did not have to be replaced -- and that was considered success.

To really make your Cruiser seats noticably softer and more supple you'll have to apply and reapply leather treatment of some kind every 30 to 60 days - and I would suggest that a less expensive (and less trouble to use) cleaner and moisterizer/protector would be more likely to be actually applied. I treat my seats about every 60 days (takes about 15 minutes for the front and passenger seats) - and use a cleaner when needed.

LT

8)

well, LT, what do you use and well is it working, then?
E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom