Suburban Vs LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If roominess and reliability are the priority, the Sequoia is a great option. I would trust it off-road more than its domestic competitors, and definitely for quality in the long run. Our '09 Sequoia has passed 250k miles with no repairs other than preventative maintenance (radiator, etc). On the double din head unit note, check out the Alpine Halo11, it's a great OEM-looking large screen with Carplay and all the goodies.
View attachment 2444283
That Sequioa is the first one I've ever seen and loved. It looks amazing!

Get one of those Mercedes cargo vans with the diesel engine you can configure the interior and make all your people comfortable. Even come in four-wheel-drive if you need it

Get one of those Mercedes cargo vans with the diesel engine you can configure the interior and make all your people comfortable. Even come in four-wheel-drive if you need it

My buddy got two of them (passenger) and I drove one of them on the highway at 70mph next to a semitruck.... what a horrible experience!!! Never again. I had always been itching for one of them as I love diesel motors and tons of space but now I prefer my 99 E350 7.3 Turbo Diesel over the 2013 and 2020 versions. Worst Steering wheel death rattle I have ever seen and I used to ride Aprilia motorcycles.

My plan is either to wait for VW microbus, Tesla Microbus or 3D print my own electric cube bus with hub motors (probably in less than 5 years). Waiting for this technology to mature a bit more. It runs around $20k and can 3D print polycarbonate resin directly:
1601949387003.png

My buddy got two of them (passenger) and I drove one of them on the highway at 70mph next to a semitruck.... what a horrible experience!!! Never again. I had always been itching for one of them as I love diesel motors and tons of space but now I prefer my 99 E350 7.3 Turbo Diesel over the 2013 and 2020 versions. Worst Steering wheel death rattle I have ever seen and I used to ride Aprilia motorcycles.

My plan is either to wait for VW microbus, Tesla Microbus or 3D print my own electric cube bus with hub motors (probably in less than 5 years). Waiting for this technology to mature a bit more. It runs around $20k and can 3D print polycarbonate resin directly:
View attachment 2457153
I’ll add to this. My buddy got brand new 2020 pretty nice Built out MB diesel camper/overland/manvan 4x4 van on 34” KO2’s. It’s fairly white knuckle at 70mph

I think if you’re going for space and reliability I would not ashamed to drive a Toyota Sienna, it has so much room even with the 3rd row up. I wish Toyota/Lexus would make a longer SUV like the suburban.

I never intended to chime in here, but since we’re talking Sprinters now and already off topic... This is our 2002 Sprinter that measures 10’ tall on little 29” KO2s and it is truly fantastic to drive. It couldn’t be more different than the 200 or any non commercial vehicle for that matter, but it’s very comfortable with the best view ever out the enormous windshield. You sit shockingly high, and with all the glass you feel like you’re on a road trip driving anywhere (and the dog can sit in between us with a great view too!). Many of our miles were in Utah at 75-80 mph and it always felt solid and planted unless there was a massive gust that affected all high profile vehicles. My wife loves driving it too and feels very safe at highway speeds. We both agree it’s one of the most enjoyable vehicles we’ve ever driven, and that’s even before you get to the large bed always ready just behind you wherever you stop. I drove 2,100 miles comfortably in 2.5 days with ~530 mile tanks including diesel used for the heater and wasn’t sore or tired when I got home. I could have driven another 2,100 miles, and I think the 200 is one of the few other vehicles I would say the same for.

F190FC9B-9F96-4C78-888F-727887C5F325.jpeg

I never intended to chime in here, but since we’re talking Sprinters now and already off topic... This is our 2002 Sprinter that measures 10’ tall on little 29” KO2s and it is truly fantastic to drive. It couldn’t be more different than the 200 or any non commercial vehicle for that matter, but it’s very comfortable with the best view ever out the enormous windshield. You sit shockingly high, and with all the glass you feel like you’re on a road trip driving anywhere (and the dog can sit in between us with a great view too!). Many of our miles were in Utah at 75-80 mph and it always felt solid and planted unless there was a massive gust that affected all high profile vehicles. My wife loves driving it too and feels very safe at highway speeds. We both agree it’s one of the most enjoyable vehicles we’ve ever driven, and that’s even before you get to the large bed always ready just behind you wherever you stop. I drove 2,100 miles comfortably in 2.5 days with ~530 mile tanks including diesel used for the heater and wasn’t sore or tired when I got home. I could have driven another 2,100 miles, and I think the 200 is one of the few other vehicles I would say the same for.

View attachment 2457295
this beast can do anything you need from comfortably seating nine people. you have room for luggage. customize the hell out of it.

Absolute tin can underneath those sad 3M badges.
That looks like an offset crash into a pole or pole base, I’ve seen a couple up close and NO vehicle will fare well. Not even a semi-truck. We called one f150 two-face because from the drivers side it looked 99% fine but the passenger side suspension, fender apron, wheel, door, everything along the right side of the vehicle roughly outside of the frame rail was pushed back to the rear axle. The front brake rotor was in about six pieces. Driver only in it, altered due to chemo treatment, witness guessing about 60mph and says no brake applied, guy walked away with a small bump on his head.

I forgot to mention I drove high bay vans which are taller. Maybe thats why they were flying all over the place. Let a real bad taste in my mouth.

I would like a 4x4 van but regular wheel drive is hard to go back to once you have been spoiled with a land cruiser. Toyota needs to make a 4x4 lifted sienna.

My brother loves his suburban to death right now but I wish it was built better. It just looks like a piece of disposable metal to me. I cant stand driving something that doesnt have a super reinforced frame. The crash pics are pretty terrible.

I forgot to mention I drove high bay vans which are taller. Maybe thats why they were flying all over the place. Let a real bad taste in my mouth.

I would like a 4x4 van but regular wheel drive is hard to go back to once you have been spoiled with a land cruiser. Toyota needs to make a 4x4 lifted sienna.

My brother loves his suburban to death right now but I wish it was built better. It just looks like a piece of disposable metal to me. I cant stand driving something that doesnt have a super reinforced frame. The crash pics are pretty terrible.
I feel the same way about my vehicles as I do my women if they’re not built like a brick s*** house why go there 😜 it’s all about build and quality

Super reinforced? Well the Tahoe suburbans have boxed frame with just as many cross members as the 200. If you want super reinforced meaning heavy duty-er than a 200, the 2500 suburban exists. Drove a duramax swapped 2010 2500 once and that was something spectacular.

When I travel with my family its 7 people. I always rent a Suburban and have been very happy with it. I can't talk about reliability or longevity, but with 6 adults and a child its real easy on trips getting in and out of and perfect vehicle for that situation. Handles well, very comfortable and 3rd row isnt bad. Unlike the 3rd row of the land cruiser being very tight. If I had to move 6-7 people around all the time, I likely would add a suburban to the herd. Since at home, we caravan in 3 vehicles typically (we all like to wheel) I have only used it when we fly to other cities. It is nice having everyone in the same vehicle while on vacation

Just my experiance

When I travel with my family its 7 people. I always rent a Suburban and have been very happy with it. I can't talk about reliability or longevity, but with 6 adults and a child its real easy on trips getting in and out of and perfect vehicle for that situation. Handles well, very comfortable and 3rd row isnt bad.

The 3rd row in the 2021 Tahoe and Suburban are now significantly improved. The change to an independent rear suspension lowered the floor, so there is much more room.

Thread resurrection here. :)

Former owner of two Suburbans. First one got to 260k despite multiple electrical issues, a grenaded rear diff, and failed AC compressor. Second one was too frustrating to keep past 150k. AFM caused misfires every several thousand miles until I put a Range AFM Disabler in it. It also blew a heater core hose on the highway, broke a motor mount, and had weird electrical issues like our first Burb. Both vehicles rattled like a tin can full of nuts and bolts.

These problems are why I found a clean older 200 series to pay cash for. I know what the 200 series’ issues are. Replacing the radiator is at the top of the list. But I am confident it won’t keep me guessing and won’t strand my wife on the side of the road multiple times like our GM products.

We loved the space of the Suburban. But we vastly prefer the hassle free ownership of our Toyotas. The LX still has seat belts for 8. 3rd row works in a pinch for our kids. I’ll put a roof box or hitch basket on my LX the few times a year I might need it. If we absolutely need more space, it’s Sequoia time. I’m totally done with GM and have zero interest in any Ford product made in the last 8 years.

To be honest, I’m not interested in anything made during or after the height of the pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom