Suburban Vs LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently my brother asked me to help advice him which SUV to buy for his 7 passengers. I told him I'm a 200 and a 100 man so don't ask me. We went out shopping looking at the Suburban Premier/Escalade to see if they would be a good fit for him. I did some reading online as I don't know my american cars and was surprised to learn about the suburban's history. We drove in it and it was pretty plush. In some places they say they last 300k miles and have military origins. It seems that once someone has to carry 6-7 normal sized people a suburban might be a better choice? I did not like how long it was but the ride felt decent even with 22s. It had the magnetic ride dampening suspension and the front seats were AMAZING (I liked them better than the maybach I test drove). The backseat bench was comfortable but felt a little too close to driver.

Do any 200 fans see if one needed more room that a suburban is a good fit? Lucky for me I don't have his problem but I wish I had a big family to haul someday. Would like to hear what 200 fans dislike/like about it. I wasn't very familiar with the vehicle so it was something new for me.

GM full size SUV’s are very nice when new. At 8 years they will rattle, squeak and stuff will start breaking. They will also burn oil at 150k miles. If you’re willing to keep fixing them they can last, but it is nothing like the solid ride of a Toyota. If you trade your truck every 3 years the quality issues may not be an issue for you.

The Sequoia is dated but very roomy and the 3rd row is actually comfortable. It’s not Suburban roomy but it’s worth considering.

The new Ford Expedition EL is a very nice vehicle. I would prefer the Ford to GM and feel like the quality is better.

No way I would recommend a Land Cruiser if he regularly carries 7 passengers. The LC can do it but not comfortably.

Last edited:
I'd echo that they're great when new. Great to rent or to entertain large client groups. I wouldn't own one long term though.

No first hand knowledge, but....

I have a friend who is into the Suburban (his wife drives a Lexus). He tells me a few years back the Suburban became just a large tall station wagon. The older models had a 2500 model designation and came with a lot of the heavy duty truck components (8 lug nut wheels, suspension etc.) including engine differences. He claims to have no intention of ever buying a new Suburban unless they go back to a model with truck roots. I know his has been more reliable over the years than a couple of Honda Accords his daughter has gone through.

I had my teen 2 nephews with me for 6 weeks this summer. Add that to my family of 4 and had the 3rd row in use the entire time. There is no room for anything other then people, I had to keep my Yakama box on and park outside. If I had a family of 6 no way I would have the 200 I’d go to a true full size SUV like the suburban or expedition EL.

My experience with Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons has been good. Sister owned an '04 Tahoe until 215k miles with minimal issues up until that mileage. Other family members has Suburbans and Yukons un until 150-200k miles with out too many issues as well, that 6.2 is a solid engine. Newest was a 2013 that anyone I personally know owned with good experience.

Can compare 200 and a GMT900 fairly well as a previous owner of a 2007 GMT900 Escalade. I have also had a couple months total over the years in the K2XX platform.

They are dirt cheap to run. Parts everywhere and for a fraction of what 100 and 200 parts go for. Some good friends of mine are still running their GMT400 (pre-06), with 200-250k miles, they live in california though where it doesn't rust, and they have echo'ed Land Cruiser reliability that is on par. If you are in salty state, keep them for 5-7 years tops because GM still chooses to put a rubber coating on the frame instead of paint. My 6.2L had cold start piston slap which isn't a problem except for sounds like a diesel on cold mornings, and my 6l80E lasted 160k miles before valve body started to go. Fuel economy on the K200s and GMT900s beat the 200 anyday, partially because of the front grill, and low hanging aero.

Is your bro looking at 2021 with the independent rear? I would say that is a better value proposition than a 200 series because of all the gadgets, safety, and fuel economy improvements, and just generally what 13+ years of engineering advancement gets you over a 200. If he's going to be wheeling it, or looking to keep it for 10+ years, then for sure 200 series. They are good vehicles, and also the same price as the 200. Sure every component is less beefy, but 99.9999% of Tahoe/Suburban owners aren't going to wheel them like they do with built 200s. The GOV/armored/bulletproof platforms all ride on 2500 chassis which GM only sells to fleet/commercial buyers. Comfort wise, 200LC trumps both the K200 and GMT900 in my opinion. Yes, they become rattle boxes after 2-3 years. The thing I have with Tahoes and Escalades is they feel very sterile, and it just feels "GM" with handling and interior tactile-ness. Handling is overboosted like every GM vehcile as they know 5'0 soccer moms will be driving it, and every button I push feels the same tactileness with a Malibu.

I'd recommend one though for 99% of the population. Light miles ahead of the garbage Ford pumps out.

Also, a huge point is: yes they look big, and look like they can haul a ton of stuff, but once you're inside, its not as big as they look.

Last edited:
When we were hauling lots of kids and gear, we had a full sized 4x4 van. Best rig ever for that purpose and cheaper than a Suburban by far.

Seven people in a 200 is really a squeeze. I wouldn’t do it.

Interior space wise, the new Suburban and Yukon XL are a pretty mind boggling platform. The new standard length Tahoe/Yukon already has larger cargo capacity than the outgoing extended length Suburban, as well as the Expedition Max, Navigator L, etc. This is mainly due to switching to independent rear suspension.

144.7 cu ft with the seats folded in the '21 Suburban
122.9 cu ft with the seats folded in the '21 Tahoe

By comparison the Sequoia has 120.1 cu ft with the seats folded, and the Land Cruiser has 81.7 cu ft.

For your brother's 7 passengers and their cargo, the Suburban, Yukon XL, and Escalade ESV are really the best on the market in most factors, apart from Toyota's bulletproof reliability. The new GM's all have the newest tech, safety, and luxury features as well, so it wins in the creature comforts department as well. There's a 420hp 6.2L V8 which can get up to 20mpg with cylinder shut off, or a 3.0L turbo diesel with 460 lb ft of torque and which can get up to 33mpg. There's even a 9 seat option, and the Suburban Z71 and Yukon XL AT4 also have some off-road goodies and flair.

We all love the Land Cruiser/200 Series for other reasons than what's found in domestic family haulers :)

Can compare 200 and a GMT900 fairly well as a previous owner of a 2007 GMT900 Escalade. I have also had a couple months total over the years in the K2XX platform.

They are dirt cheap to run. Parts everywhere and for a fraction of what 100 and 200 parts go for. Some good friends of mine are still running their GMT400 (pre-06), with 200-250k miles, they live in california though where it doesn't rust, and they have echo'ed Land Cruiser reliability that is on par. If you are in salty state, keep them for 5-7 years tops because GM still chooses to put a rubber coating on the frame instead of paint. My 6.2L had cold start piston slap which isn't a problem except for sounds like a diesel on cold mornings, and my 6l80E lasted 160k miles before valve body started to go. Fuel economy on the K200s and GMT900s beat the 200 anyday, partially because of the front grill, and low hanging aero.

Is your bro looking at 2021 with the independent rear? I would say that is a better value proposition than a 200 series because of all the gadgets, safety, and fuel economy improvements, and just generally what 13+ years of engineering advancement gets you over a 200. If he's going to be wheeling it, or looking to keep it for 10+ years, then for sure 200 series. They are good vehicles, and also the same price as the 200. Sure every component is less beefy, but 99.9999% of Tahoe/Suburban owners aren't going to wheel them like they do with built 200s. The GOV/armored/bulletproof platforms all ride on 2500 chassis which GM only sells to fleet/commercial buyers. Comfort wise, 200LC trumps both the K200 and GMT900 in my opinion. Yes, they become rattle boxes after 2-3 years. The thing I have with Tahoes and Escalades is they feel very sterile, and it just feels "GM" with handling and interior tactile-ness. Handling is overboosted like every GM vehcile as they know 5'0 soccer moms will be driving it, and every button I push feels the same tactileness with a Malibu.

I'd recommend one though for 99% of the population. Light miles ahead of the garbage Ford pumps out.

Also, a huge point is: yes they look big, and look like they can haul a ton of stuff, but once you're inside, its not as big as they look.

My brother and I are looking at the 2017 suburban because its $45k with 20k miles, seems more stately looking in black than new body. I wanted the 2020 but its double the price (love diesel option). We like our trucks to be $30-40k so if we scratch them we don't breakdown and cry. We prefer the look of the suburban than the caddy but caddy (way to gaudy) had nicer features plus $20k in price. Alot of soccer moms in his neighborhood drive the caddy which was irking him deeply. Suburban had more of a manly presence.

I agree it feels tight even though foot/leg room are not touching seat. I fit in the 3rd back row with my 13 size shoes and big body. His kids were delighted not to be squeezed next to each other. He is looking at premier model (top of the line) due to ventillated seats which seems necessary with such big wide leather seats (they get hot quick). Also we prefer the bench in the rear as opposed to bucket seats. I wish they made it 9 passenger in premier level. I kindof wish my LC was able to fit 9 passengers. I have a 1999 ford e350 chateau 7.3 diesel van (11 passenger) I use mostly for cargo hauling, very loud (international motor). I found the suburban more comfortable for passenger hauling.

He was relatively satisfied with the 5.3L engine as he is not an aggressive driver like me. I loved that it ran on regular gas like my LC. He doesn't offroad but the 22s had low profile tires which I HATE. They were 45 tall which brought back nightmares I had with putting 20s on BMW 750s. After 20k tires needed to be changed. I convinved him to get michelins, not sure if he can change tire ratio.

Last edited:
My brother and I are looking at the 2017 suburban because its $45k with 20k miles, seems more stately looking in black than new body. I wanted the 2020 but its double the price (love diesel option). We like our trucks to be $30-40k so if we scratch them we don't breakdown and cry. We prefer the look of the suburban than the caddy but caddy (way to gaudy) had nicer features plus $20k in price. Alot of soccer moms in his neighborhood drive the caddy which was irking him deeply. Suburban had more of a manly presence.

I agree it feels tight even though foot/leg room are not touching seat. I fit in the 3rd back row with my 13 size shoes and big body. His kids were delighted not to be squeezed next to each other. He is looking at premier model (top of the line) due to ventillated seats which seems necessary with such big wide leather seats (they get hot quick). Also we prefer the bench in the rear as opposed to bucket seats. I wish they made it 9 passenger in premier level. I kindof wish my LC was able to fit 9 passengers. I have a 1999 ford e350 chateau 7.3 diesel van I use mostly for cargo hauling, very loud. I found the suburban more comfortable for passenger hauling.

You still get a 5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty that is still in-date with that purchase. For $45k, you can't find a 200 series that will still be in warranty. If its the 6.2L and 8 speed, makes for a nice powertrain on it.

You still get a 5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty that is still in-date with that purchase. For $45k, you can't find a 200 series that will still be in warranty. If its the 6.2L and 8 speed, makes for a nice powertrain on it.

Yeah extended warranty was $3k for 5years/60k miles from chevy dealer. They dont cover rattles and sounds. Now I know why.

I have owned and driven Tahoes, Suburbans, and Expeditions (as well as every other major company).

**TLDR, own an Expedition XLT FX4 and love it; but lust a 2020+ LC**

Yes, the latest iterations have gotten away from their humble solid rear axle truck roots (as the LC here too depending on how you view IRS) with the exception of" body on frame" and elaborate 4wd systems. As far as U.S. made vehicles owned I have always felt you can't go too wrong with any of their V8 RWD/4wd platforms, and they do last past 150K-200K miles, but I "feel" that is rare as they don't "feel" built to last that long and look good. But a lot of that is "feel" but I know their is a marked difference in Toyota build quality, and even higher with the LC. My order of current quality is Ford#1, Chev, Dodge and they have all done better these last years with the squeaks and rattles but that is still ongoing IMHO.

That being said, I looked again at the 'burbs and 'hoes, but chose my current 2020 XLT FX4. The 3.5 TT with 375 hp/470 tq and 3.73s flat out flies to 100 miles an hour (0-60 under 7 seconds), holds a tremendous amount of people/kit in true comfort (1760lbs GVW). You can put 200lbs on the roof, 600lbs off the hitch, and tow 9,200 lbs and with a person or two knock out 28 mpg loafing along on backroads at 50-55 mph or 20 mpg at 80 (with the air on), flat and level. And at $53K sale price (down from $60K) for me it is A LOT of truck for the money to include hill decent, terrain adjustment, 2wd, AWD, tow dolly true "N" a locking 4wd, 4low, and a rear e-locker switch. My plan is to add a 1.5 inch Bilstein lift all around and a set of real 33/34s for a slightly better off-road platform (but certainly no rock crawler like my last Power Wagon). I am considering light "overlanding" (don't always know how I feel about that world lol) in the future, almost simply b/c two can sleep comfortably in the back with the seats down, with a lot of room to spare. I am more of a "highwayman" than "trail boss" these days.

But the thought of owning an new 2020 LC? With all it's history, build quality, reputation and nostalgia (and easy modding) is a HUGE turn on to me as well.

But for me--today--and to be 100% honest with myself? It is too luxurious, too small, too thirsty and for not being exactly what I need (right now) and want--way too expensive. Still, I am actually afraid to test drive one b/c I know all that will do is raise my already high respect/appreciation level. I can only hope they hang on to the V8 driveline till it falls more squarely in my sights.

YMMV, and expect me to lurk here a lot longer ;)

Last edited:
We had two Tahoe's before getting the LC. Put about 150k miles on each. They are great vehicles for riding around town and eating up interstate miles. Very comfortable and quite. Very cheap repairs, if any. The only real repair I did on either was to replace the ac compressor.

There's a known issue with the steering mechanism. It will make popping noises and you can feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel when something in the mech catches - this only happens at full turn. Both of mine did this. Had it fixed once under warranty but issue came back w/in a year. I decided to live with it.

The Cruiser is not designed to compete with the Big 3 family haulers. It is built to a standard required to take people into, through, and out of the harshest conditions on the planet.

One look under any of the Big 3 haulers will show just how cheaply made and flimsy they really are. Rolling 200k miles on pavement is easy. Rolling 200k miles in the bush is not. FFS there are reports of GM frames bending/buckling on automotive lifts due to how thin the metal is. They may drive 200k miles but they literally feel like they are going to fall apart at that age. A Cruiser doesn’t.

Don’t for one second think they will hold up as well as a Cruiser - regardless of how many marketable off road gimmicks they have on them. At the end of the day, they’re made to an extremely low cost bare minimum standard and built by people who have little pride in what they do.

I had a Tahoe for 10 years and 150k miles. At that point it rode like a bucket of bolts. Burned a quart of oil every 3000 miles, which the 5.3 is known for (I believe it is the cylinder shut down that causes them to burn oil). Interior parts were falling off, power windows broke twice, rear lift gate broke 3 times, etc etc. Engine and transmission kept going but there is no comparison to the 10+ year old Lexus vehicles I own in terms of build quality. I keep vehicles at least 10 years and the Tahoe had the worst long term reliability of any vehicle I have owned, including Ford and Jeep.

If I needed more space than my LC I would buy the Sequoia. If that’s not big enough I would buy the Ford, my family has had much better luck with Ford SUV’s than with GM.

For that size family i'd explore a Sequoia. Lots of similar parts as an LC and will last a long time. If you can hold out until the redesign the inside will hopefully be more modern.

I haven't been in a Sequoia but it looks pretty small. I don't know how well 7 people will fit inside there on a regular basis. I do appreciate the comments, especially regarding build quality. I have been super spoiled with my LC, esp the 200. My expectation of how build quality has been very affected by it. Even though it doesn't turn like a BMW I'd rather have durability and reliability than top of the line Benz.

I haven't been in a Sequoia but it looks pretty small. I don't know how well 7 people will fit inside there on a regular basis. I do appreciate the comments, especially regarding build quality. I have been super spoiled with my LC, esp the 200. My expectation of how build quality has been very affected by it. Even though it doesn't turn like a BMW I'd rather have durability and reliability than top of the line Benz.
The Sequoia easily transports 8 and has the most comfortable third row of any of the big SUV’s. What it doesn’t have is the huge space for luggage, etc that the Suburban or Expedition Max has behind the third row. The Sequoia has the same engine as the LC 200, and has a great 4WD system . The interior js very comfortable but dash and tech is dated in spite of an update in 2018. The radio is double DIN so aftermarket large screen systems with CarPlay, 360 degree cameras, etc are available to update Toyota tech shortcomings. It gets lousy mileage although slightly better than the LC, I guess from part time 4WD. IRS gives the Sequoia a surprising amount of interior room.

A suburban has as much space behind the 3rd row as the sequoia has behind the 2nd. They are no where close to the same size. I have a buddy with a sequoia and I can see much space advantage over the LC. I’ve never understood why they are so close in size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom