Suburban or Excursion ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just picked up an 05 excursion with the V10. I have always been a chevy guy got rid of an 02 sierra with the duramax but I love the excursion. The room is incredible, I have fit 10 sheets of plywood in the back no problem. The v10 has plenty of power, it has done everything the duramax has done.

I do like suburbans interior and ride better but so far I am really liking the excursion.

Mine does have a 4 inch lift and 35's which affect the ride a little.

Had a 98 suburban 3/4 ton with a 454, was a good rig other that I live 10 miles up a dirt road, got tired of rebuilding the front end every year, ball joints,cv joints,tie rod ends. sold it and never looked back. bought an 02 excursion, solid front axle, 7.3 diesel. drove it for 180,000 miles and never touched the front end, had almost no trouble with it, with a banks 6 gun,stacked with a power programer,4 inch exhaust, bigger intake, averaged 23 mpg,also had a f350 with the v10, it was ok but the diesel was hands down a better rig, way more pulling power and way better mileage, the v10 computer went out and cracked the right head and burned the valves, cost 5000 for a new head installed, sold it and will never own another.....just my experience, good luck.

Eh Peter: enjoy the trip! Be sure to do all the National Parks in the West.

Seems like a lot of the comments above apply more to long-term ownership than to a 6 weeks trip.

I don't know anything about Excursion or Subs, sorry. But I do tell my european friends that one can buy RVs out here in the US for remarkably cheap if a bit older. You can find some 90s or early 2000s large RVs with low mileage for just a few thousand bucks. That would be much better for travel than a SUV if you want to sleep in the vehicle.
Do keep in mind though that with either SUVs or RVs you will need to deal with insurance if you buy them. Fortunately, in the US, you can cancel an insurance policy at any time, you're not paying for the full year no matter what, as seems to be the case in some euro countries.

As far as online tracking without cell phone coverage (only an issue in very rural areas away from main highways but likely in the big Parks although there will be other travellers there), look at the SPOT device. about a $100 to buy and a $100 for a year contract.

I was even looking and thinking about a RV but there are some reasons why i dont see me wanting one.

1. We like to explore backroads and byways beside the usual roads .
2. With the RV its obvious youre a stranger that carrys things others might like.
3. With a suburban its stealth mode and fast getaway if needed.
4. National Parks will be nice but i dont like crowded places, been to Grand Canyon while i attended CruiseMoab in 99......i dont know i dislike the average tourists somehow, cant help it.

Gonna have a look for that gps unit you mentioned, while we were travelling NV in 2011, Gary had a unit in his rig where folks at home could watch online where you actually are. That would be great to have and if there is no cellphone reception it could well save my *ss if stranded with a wrecked 4x4 somwhere in the wilderness.

Hi Peter,

Wouldn't rule out an 80. Should be easy to find a nice one in that price range, and I bet Gary K could find and go through one before you come over. You would also have a decent support web in all the people you already know out here. Can put one or two Yakima/Thule storage cases on roof bars for more storage, and a basic sleep platform with storage underneath. Fridge can go in the rear corner without much affect to sleeping space.

A smaller vehicle like the 80 (or a Montero or Trooper) would get you more easily into places you might want to explore. Haven't run into a situation where the stealth factor would matter in the western US. Build quality/reliability is a higher priority to me. You can definitely bomb down highways easier in a US vehicle with the larger motors. Extra tank or fuel cans to get 500-600 mile range would be nice with any setup.

Spot is an easy choice for a tracker.

Hi Esh,
i did not turn completely away from driving with a 80 but inside space and $$ to get a base vehicle are reasons why my thoughts, at this time, tend to get a roomier suburban.:hmm:

Maybe i should think about to ship my little rooftent trailer over that would be a near perfect compromise, dont need it here anymore anyway... so i would be able to get a trailworthy 80 and enough space for roadtrips.:hmm:

Wales1.jpg

Thanks for the wakeup call.........thinking about new possibilities....

There is no better big rig to knock around in than a Suburban. They are massive, will hold everything easily, capable of most desert dirt roads etc. They are plenty big to sleep comfortably inside, and not have to stick all your gear outside like in an 80. One that is 3-4 years old with say 60K miles would be perfect for a turn key exploring truck. Naturally, I'd look for a 3/4 ton.

When is this trip going to happen? I'll join you for a week or two of it, and I'll bring a Land Cruiser.

Land Rover 110. Diesel. End of discussion.

Ok, maybe not. I'm sure someone will pipe up about the electrical gremlins and cost of entry and maintenance, but I think they're pretty sweet.

if your only going to have it for two months then look for a early 2000s suburban 1/2 ton with the 5.3. It has plenty of power, gets decent fuel mileage and will ride decent on the road.

Land Rover 110. Diesel. End of discussion.

BTDT that blue one from the picture is sold, it wasnt a bad vehicle but after 9 years of use it was time to seperate ways....somehow i am not a Rover friend. :meh: *Sweet* doesnt help out there....

mwalls54 if your only going to have it for two months then look for a early 2000s suburban 1/2 ton with the 5.3.

Thats the direction where my thoughts go and it seems that there are plenty out there for a fair price.

Per Cruiserdrew...find a 3/4t Suburban. Or carry rear axles for the passenger car rated 10-bolt that rides under the 1/2 tons :rolleyes:

Collecting all the knowledge and input to end up with the best result $$ vs rig, making a list for all necessary, needed and wanted things.

@Andy:
Thanx for the generous offer to spend some time wheeling with the kraut, not this year but i plan ahead to hit the land of the free in the coming year/s. :popcorn:

. . . we just hope it's still free when you get here . . .

Hi Esh,
i did not turn completely away from driving with a 80 but inside space and $$ to get a base vehicle are reasons why my thoughts, at this time, tend to get a roomier suburban.:hmm:

Maybe i should think about to ship my little rooftent trailer over that would be a near perfect compromise, dont need it here anymore anyway... so i would be able to get a trailworthy 80 and enough space for roadtrips.:hmm:

Thanks for the wakeup call.........thinking about new possibilities....

Nice little rig. Got no idea about shipping, customs, etc, but it's entirely possible that you might find someone here that would be interested in buying the trailer when you finish your trip, if you wanted to go that route.

Hi Mike,
i guess shipping-customs might be pricey and to leave it in the US afterwards would be impossible, seems that could only work if someone buys and imports it otherwise it will be needed to ship it back to germany again.

Dan,
i had a lookup on the interwebs about the weak axles you mentioned, in most cases it seems that the carrier tends to break.
Sometime about 2000 they changed over to a bigger shaft diameter but didnt change the carrier?
Forums say that a locker with a new carrier might solve these problems.
So maybe i look for a 1500 thats easyer to find and change the differential to a ARB once its broken?
Thinking about to keep this rig in the US for future trips...:hmm:

7.3 Excursions can be crazy expensive to get into, probably 3 to 4 times your budget however, I see v10 excursions all the time for cheap, probably still more than 5k but great rigs.

If you were open to an 80 size vehicle I would think about a Montero. You can get a 94-00 or 01 Montero for cheap. They had a locking rear diff option as well. I had a 95 I wheeled like crazy. The only downside is parts are very expensive if you need to do repairs.

old post, but our 7.3 Ex is awesome. had it for 3.5 years and just normal wear/teat items have needed attention. parts are plentiful and cheap if you DIY. if you cant DIY, then things add up....

actually, as I just happen into this thread: Peter sent me an all excited PM a few weeks ago - he bought an 80 for the occasion :lol:

:cheers:

Like reading this thread. Always been attracted to the 7.3. Only negative I’ve read about is loose steering. Otherwise sounds like the perfect road trip vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom