Stuck Transfer case/ Transmission drain and fill plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently trying to go through and switch out all the old fluids in the cruiser just as a precaution. The PO said it had been done but I am starting to doubt that seriously. Anyway I have been trying to get both the drain and fill plugs off but they will not budge. I have used blast and hammered on them several times, but to no avail.

Are there any good suggestions for getting them off?
Also who has good recommendations for replacements?

I have tried that, and am afraid of possibly breaking the transfer case itself, because when I pull down on it the entire truck moves with the force. I will try again with the tightening first and then breaking it loose. Thanks for the help.

Dont know if youd break anything if you gave er but I can see why youre hesitant. My fill plugs came out like butter but the drain on my one piece xfer wouldnt budge. To make matters worse I guess it wouldnt budge for the po either since the head was mangled. Had to weld a nut to the drain plug so I could get enough bite to start it turning. I lucked out since I have a spare t case and tranny in the garage to steal plugs and whatnot from.

I guess my advice is dont strip the plugs.... If youre gonna be torquin on them at least have someone hold the end of the socket firmly on the plug so it doesnt slip off.

D

Its not all that uncommon to have stripped drain plugs on the transfer case, and that problem really stinks since you need to install a timesert or get a new case. I had one that would not budge and had to weld a large nut on it, getting it bright red-hot and that got out it fairly easy without ruining the case. If they are not coming out as you say, its probably time to apply some real heat to get them moving without messing up the threads on the case. Replacement plugs are available from Toyota, but if you want to avoid this problem in the future, get the allen head replacements - way easier to work with. If you do a search on this site, you'll find lots of information on them (most say call CDan or Beno and tell them what you need and they'll send the correct plugs - good advice).

Alright, sounds like all good advice and I will be taking all of it and trying to break them loose tonight.
I will also look at the new allen head replacements with some anti seize so in the future this is not a problem.
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Hammer straight in on the head of the plug, this crushes the seal washer, loosening the plug. When installing, use a torque wrench, many users strong arm or impact them in, over tighten, making removal difficult. There is no need for anti-seize, the threads are in oil.

Anti seize can't hurt, though. Dissimilar metals and all....

If you happen to get water in there it will be in the bottom of the case.....where the drain bolt is.

Grinding down also removes the chamfer that lots of sockets have and that you don't need with these thin hexes. You'll get full engagement. Dont need much torque to tighten-your finger could hold in the fluid. Just enough for it not fo come out. I have noticed that people think that just because a huge wrench or breaker bar fits that you give it hell like you're tightening head bolts. Same for oil filters. X2 heat and hammering to loosen.

I just changed my fluids. The transfer case plug would not move with a breaker bar and 6 point socket. I ended up using my impact wrench. Was nervous but it had to come out. Wrench hammered what seemed a long time (many seconds) then the filler plug finally gave in. No damage to my case at all. Some idiot really over tightened that plug.

Alright, sounds like all good advice and I will be taking all of it and trying to break them loose tonight.
I will also look at the new allen head replacements with some anti seize so in the future this is not a problem.
Thanks for all the quick responses.
I have the allen-head replacements-for the life of me, can't remember where I got them-but it was from a MUD member(maybe Orangefj45?)
get some Nikal anti-seize from MSC--it's good to at least 1200 deg. F--maybe $10 for a small container.

I currently have a stuck fill plug on the transfer case. I will try the impact wrench first. If that doesn't work I'll try heat. I made the mistake of already draining the fluid too.

My fill plug on my 78 FJ40 is stuck. It may be striped. I have not applied heat.Am looking for alternative ways to fill as I have replace my rear seal behind ebrake and have drained T case . Getting to vent plug in top seems difficult. Can I pull speedo gear which seems to be about same level as fill plug or remove the round transfer case cover and fill with right amount of fluid? Afraid to use much more force on plug and perhaps strip threads making matters worse. Thanks

You can fill transmission through the stick shifter hole and fill the tcase through the breather vent, just remove the huge breather bolt.
Mine came loose with a half inch breaker bar and a pipe on it

i use my snap on broken bolt kit and my 1200 lb electric impact takes them right out but thats just me

My fill plug on my 78 FJ40 is stuck. It may be striped. I have not applied heat.Am looking for alternative ways to fill as I have replace my rear seal behind ebrake and have drained T case . Getting to vent plug in top seems difficult. Can I pull speedo gear which seems to be about same level as fill plug or remove the round transfer case cover and fill with right amount of fluid? Afraid to use much more force on plug and perhaps strip threads making matters worse. Thanks

hope you learned the valuable lesson of making sure you get the fill plug loose first before draining

that being said,
fill the trans thru the shifter stalk,
fill the transfer thru the pto plate, you can jack up the driver side so it is higher and remove the plate and fill thru there.

Thanks for the help. For PTO plate will new gasket be needed or RTV be ok?. The rear transfer case seal was leaking very badly so really did not have a lot of choice. But at least knew to stop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom