Stuck axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am hoping someone has had experience with this issue and can provide guidance on how to solve the issue. Vehicle is a 1969 FJ 40. The passenger side axle came out with ease. The driver's side axle is the problem child. I have pulled and pulled and this sucker will not come out. Any suggestions on what device I can use to pull it out? Thanks

20230328_124650.jpg

20230328_124647.jpg

You might be able to drive it from the other side with a wooden dowel or steel rod.

Last time I did this job the axle just slides out and you have the whole assembly out. There must be something real wrong if it does not slide out. Look at the 2-3 minute mark to see.

Is that hole on the end of the axle threaded? You can make or rent a slide hammer and bolt it to the end of the axle. You probably can't knock it out from the other side. The 3rds center pin is in the way.

When I serviced these axles , long and short, I did not need to do anything with the differential. It just slide out. My previous post show a youtube showing it. If that axle cannot come out just by pulling, something interesting WILL be found.

When I serviced these axles , long and short, I did not need to do anything with the differential. It just slide out. My previous post show a youtube showing it. If that axle cannot come out just by pulling, something interesting WILL be found.
I have no doubt I will find "something interesting." At this point I am just trying to find a way to safely pull it out.

I have a ?, You say the birfield had already been removed, was it broken ? If not how did you get it out/off the inner ? Use the snap rings and some levers thru the trunion holes to pry it out, works.

I have a ?, You say the birfield had already been removed, was it broken ? If not how did you get it out/off the inner ? Use the snap rings and some levers thru the trunion holes to pry it out, works.
The birfield came off as I used it as leverage to pull the axle off. The birfield is fine.

I had this same problem. The housing was bent. I had to put a relief cut in the housing to get the axle out. Once I cut it, it slid out like butter... Rendering the housing junk... I can not take credit for the knowledge of that being the problem. I made a call to @orangefj45 and he told me what to do.

I had this same problem. The housing was bent. I had to put a relief cut in the housing to get the axle out. Once I cut it, it slid out like butter... Rendering the housing junk... I can not take credit for the knowledge of that being the problem. I made a call to @orangefj45 and he told me what to

I had this same problem. The housing was bent. I had to put a relief cut in the housing to get the axle out. Once I cut it, it slid out like butter... Rendering the housing junk... I can not take credit for the knowledge of that being the problem. I made a call to @orangefj45 and he told me what to do.
I am hoping to exhaust all means prior to doing that. If that's the case then I will try and salvage what I can. Thanks

Trust me, I understand. I was not very eager to ruin a 76 housing with factory discs. Here is a pic of the slice I put in it with the cut off wheel. It relaxed tight and the axle slid right out. I agree!! Exhaust all options before cutting!!!!

AJFCJaXXYL21TqxYUZXpaQWIg4ss_JFZ1Ssq9TUUiQBKcj-_QsJB63PS8TT45casBdYXUiBSRR2Ws8C_ImwDtGPHKE2hGFyWh9ou_SJ8Y5sMIiZOuvcDgz6_G3kJ3M9J_VQGMnKkiZbepWm8W0kmhjOQ6gNclUgaYGSUBV8-PBqxVmwCQHR9-HoijPLq1ORwqolcwaTdILKjLD9FP3SsscvarlwZGu9O5HaMkjrdP5VWBPIaiiHpAYiH5H7JJo5dB1pHAwWDIUm3NSrcDLvr1TLqbYpytZbbMmOEaRbPkV7qjAX1uii-pfUwTbEshLgte6cipkDW5wVsNkmgebvgkZD7qUzPOkxv-KCgtwOUMEyz3sr2UFMcli_3x4HyNby3c9bDl0emrAnEdOx3zYnvqYVkE4-v4JSC_lVUd3MUs49yETrXPzm4mn_OZ12_pqZ5cLCTKrKc5GwSZ9mkcr5H0D6NVuhLt-hPnS6ASZ9KpiIOS6RSi1Mkrpj2IEz4AJaIkJoPtkNdke6liIx2hdewHFa_Rm2qhWBVNOqeHhXcrHE-Xo7b_WTIkjct0rsklU4ruLvPyMoRhvSvtIhbbDE2645V1mF7ctWR6UriPTGgk9H1poj9naZx2BeLjDskM6JYxqBKSyU03mSbFBerkbjz5PkEXistK8cxHvBJTackJjR4noX2xnqdR6jCZsuSlr9Mvk6XEdcXSgj_93CgtDdvihBCB419XUcJYZUOJ1h_fKzoMBboytad4xmYjdhSzSFx5Wwtv3VImJnw-S1QZFTb8mwpCCYmm9GQdODzNfOty0IR8ZcbY1vLNbPkriJsdW7uCmv8yO3_hNedCBpDiOWF-WYPqx28w8rEUK3QhY4-9c7EWwvDxRhy29-9PyzvTxD2goZA5JmSzKqWzDWyRcmf1fOdPlSQEA=w703-h937-s-no

That inner was stuck enough to allow you to pry the birf over the snap ring, dam. Try standing the whole thing on end and dropping on something with a hole in it to see if you can get the axle to drop, kinda like a slide hammer effect.

Trust me, I understand. I was not very eager to ruin a 76 housing with factory discs. Here is a pic of the slice I put in it with the cut off wheel. It relaxed tight and the axle slid right out. I agree!! Exhaust all options before cutting!!!!

AJFCJaXXYL21TqxYUZXpaQWIg4ss_JFZ1Ssq9TUUiQBKcj-_QsJB63PS8TT45casBdYXUiBSRR2Ws8C_ImwDtGPHKE2hGFyWh9ou_SJ8Y5sMIiZOuvcDgz6_G3kJ3M9J_VQGMnKkiZbepWm8W0kmhjOQ6gNclUgaYGSUBV8-PBqxVmwCQHR9-HoijPLq1ORwqolcwaTdILKjLD9FP3SsscvarlwZGu9O5HaMkjrdP5VWBPIaiiHpAYiH5H7JJo5dB1pHAwWDIUm3NSrcDLvr1TLqbYpytZbbMmOEaRbPkV7qjAX1uii-pfUwTbEshLgte6cipkDW5wVsNkmgebvgkZD7qUzPOkxv-KCgtwOUMEyz3sr2UFMcli_3x4HyNby3c9bDl0emrAnEdOx3zYnvqYVkE4-v4JSC_lVUd3MUs49yETrXPzm4mn_OZ12_pqZ5cLCTKrKc5GwSZ9mkcr5H0D6NVuhLt-hPnS6ASZ9KpiIOS6RSi1Mkrpj2IEz4AJaIkJoPtkNdke6liIx2hdewHFa_Rm2qhWBVNOqeHhXcrHE-Xo7b_WTIkjct0rsklU4ruLvPyMoRhvSvtIhbbDE2645V1mF7ctWR6UriPTGgk9H1poj9naZx2BeLjDskM6JYxqBKSyU03mSbFBerkbjz5PkEXistK8cxHvBJTackJjR4noX2xnqdR6jCZsuSlr9Mvk6XEdcXSgj_93CgtDdvihBCB419XUcJYZUOJ1h_fKzoMBboytad4xmYjdhSzSFx5Wwtv3VImJnw-S1QZFTb8mwpCCYmm9GQdODzNfOty0IR8ZcbY1vLNbPkriJsdW7uCmv8yO3_hNedCBpDiOWF-WYPqx28w8rEUK3QhY4-9c7EWwvDxRhy29-9PyzvTxD2goZA5JmSzKqWzDWyRcmf1fOdPlSQEA=w703-h937-s-no

With the other side out I wonder if loosening the diff it would allow enough movement to allow the axle shaft to side out.

With the other side out I wonder if loosening the diff it would allow enough movement to allow the axle shaft to side out.

I would try that. In my case, it didn't help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom