Stuck and need advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spdwaver

Formerly Kalifornistanian
Threads
1993 fzj80
aussie locker in rear (which may be the culprit).

driving on the way to work this morning, i was rolling to a stop when i felt what seemed like the rear end is in pieces...really jerky and locks up when trying to move forward.

my question is this: if the problem is the rear end, will removing the rear shaft and putting it into low (i do not have a cdl) get me anywhere? i need to travel about seven miles, some of it uphill.

thanks,

sean

1993 fzj80
aussie locker in rear (which may be the culprit).

driving on the way to work this morning, i was rolling to a stop when i felt what seemed like the rear end is in pieces...really jerky and locks up when trying to move forward.

my question is this: if the problem is the rear end, will removing the rear shaft and putting it into low (i do not have a cdl) get me anywhere? i need to travel about seven miles, some of it uphill.

thanks,

sean

Probably not. Because the rear end would still be turning without the drive shaft going to it. If you're on pavement, you need a tow.

Pull the ds and if that doesn't work, pull the rear axle shafts too.

Pull the ds and if that doesn't work, pull the rear axle shafts too.

Pulling the axle shafts doesn't sound like a quick solution, might as well fix the diff on the side of the road.

Will it drive in reverse? (loose (or broken) pinion?)

Post in the 80's section.....IMHO

Pulling the axle shafts doesn't sound like a quick solution, might as well fix the diff on the side of the road.

Are you s***ting me? Both shafts can be pulled in 10 minutes, easy.

I'm assuming a full floater rear, of course.

He has a '93, which may or may not be full-floating rears.

Anyway, if you can pull the drive shaft and the two axle shafts, you can put the truck in low to lock the CDL, and then take out the CDL fuse, and then put it back in high.

It's a 93, should be a semi floating rear

Ten minutes? Impressive, I doubt I'd have it up on jackstands in that time. Should have a CDL switch that year, shouldn't it?

It's a 93, should be a semi floating rear

junky info, informationjunky....it could be either a SF or FF...

Just drive it the 7 miles. When you get there, you will know what your problem is. More than likely, if you already hear some sounds, the damage is already done.

Ten minutes? Impressive, I doubt I'd have it up on jackstands in that time. Should have a CDL switch that year, shouldn't it?

No need for jack stands. That's why it would take you so long

You don't work on vehicles much, do you?

drive-axle-full-floating_html_7c241c40.jpg

Step 1: Remove axle shaft bolts.
Step 2: Remove axle shaft.
Step 3: Put your junk in the box.

I did the birfs on both my '97s, didn't get around to the rears. Mostly I've worked on Audis, Subarus, smaller stuff.

The 1993 80 should have the CDL switch (or he can move his hazard switch over and use it as his CDL switch). He can pull the rear driveshaft, pull the axle shafts, stuff some rags in there, tape it up, and engage CDL and drive in FWD.

junky info, informationjunky....it could be either a SF or FF...

Just drive it the 7 miles. When you get there, you will know what your problem is. More than likely, if you already hear some sounds, the damage is already done.

Whoooops, I stand corrected. For some reason I had it in my head 93-94 were semi but that was only for drum rears?

Whoooops, I stand corrected. For some reason I had it in my head 93-94 were semi but that was only for drum rears?

There are a number of "oddball" 80 series rigs with SF rears and drum brakes..they are out there and looks like they might have been up through 1995 where these "odd balls" can be found in the US market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom