stripped trans drain plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I stripped the threads on my fzj80 trans pan... I think it was overtightened, because the threads all came with the bolt 😕 has anyone had success tapping these to a slightly larger size?

I think its an m10x1.25 (not sure)

I was thinking of using a corolla drain plug which is m12x1.25

You guys see any reason why i couldn't do this? you think it will hold? or do i gotta find a new pan.

Had this happen to me once with an oil pan bolt. You could try a bolt that's a little longer. It may catch some threads that were unharmed. Or you could use a little sealer, I prefer permatex "the right stuff" on the bolt when you put it back in. You might be able to just barely snug it down, but don't tighten it. Let the sealer dry for a few minutes. This would work at least until you can acquire a new trans pan.

Had this happen to me once with an oil pan bolt. You could try a bolt that's a little longer. It may catch some threads that were unharmed. Or you could use a little sealer, I prefer permatex "the right stuff" on the bolt when you put it back in. You might be able to just barely snug it down, but don't tighten it. Let the sealer dry for a few minutes. This would work at least until you can acquire a new trans pan.
no luck for me. threads are 100% gone. like a clean bored hole. they stayed attached to the drain bolt.

I don't see why tapping for a larger bolt wouldn't work, but definitely remove the pan to work on it. Both for a better tap job, but mainly to make sure you don't set any shavings loose in the transmission.

Gotcha, that def sucks. The only hope then might be the longer bolt. At least for a temporary fix. You can also drill and tap of course but you'd have to take the pan off for that in which case you can probably get a decent used one fairly cheap and I'd just replace it.

After trying to retap mine and not getting enough threads in there, I just went to a junkyard and got another pan with good threads for like $50.

I cant find one. thanks. I was worried about the threads

I cant find one. thanks. I was worried about the threads
Worst case you can get a new one for $160, which ain’t too bad I guess.

so I stripped the threads on my fzj80 trans pan... I think it was overtightened, because the threads all came with the bolt 😕 has anyone had success tapping these to a slightly larger size?

I think its an m10x1.25 (not sure)

I was thinking of using a corolla drain plug which is m12x1.25

You guys see any reason why i couldn't do this? you think it will hold? or do i gotta find a new pan.
Check with @slow95z and @arcteryx since they part out these trucks. You have a 95, so you have the A343? Make sure you specify year and model of transmission so you get the right thing.

AaKnight, I wish you lived closer to me, I'd tell you to bring your stripped pan by my shop so i could repair it for you. I'd first bore out the stripped hole in that pan, then machine a steel threaded shoulder sleeve on the lathe. Then I'd press fit that sleeve into the pan with some retaining compound to insure it doesn't leak.​

It would like someone wanting to buy one diamond out a necklace. ;)
Sometimes on a wrecked truck it may break the bell housing but the tranny it the pan is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom