Strange grind when shifting into reverse from park (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys have inherited an 80 series off my late father 4.5L petrol automatic 94 GXL

I’m getting this grinding noise only sometimes when I’m shifting from park to reverse and drive, only when the car is cold, shifts perfectly doesn’t drag out or get stuck

Car has done 630,000 kms so nearly 400,000 miles transfer case is full of oil so is the transmission definitely not due to low fluid. I know something is probably screwed.

Hey guys have inherited an 80 series off my late father 4.5L petrol automatic 94 GXL

I’m getting this grinding noise only sometimes when I’m shifting from park to reverse and drive, only when the car is cold, shifts perfectly doesn’t drag out or get stuck

Car has done 630,000 kms so nearly 400,000 miles transfer case is full of oil so is the transmission definitely not due to low fluid. I know something is probably screwed.
Have you checked the u-joints? A grind or clunk may show up when shifting forward to reverse.

Possibly shoot a short video and post it for us to see and hear.

U joints or slip joint would be my guess

Head gasket...

No seriously with that mileage the transmission syncro clutches are likely worn out. Find a new tranny and pop it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom