Stove or grill? (1 Viewer)

Do you prefer cooking with a stove or a grill while camping?

• Stove

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Grill

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Discada and portable burner stand. Packs small, easy to clean. Only bad if wind is blowing hard enough to blow dirt, but I don't think other devices would work that great either.

I use both. Had them both going Fri night. Coleman 425 and a little Weber rectangle grill. Corn on the cob, sausages on the grill, rice on the stove. Beer in the fridge and in my belly. Moto riding all day yesterday.

On solo adventures, I tend to pack both a small propane grill and a single burner propane stove... but mostly use the grill. I rarely build a fire when camping solo. I usually just want to grill up a steak or fish and some veggies for dinner and a cold breakfast and lunch. I use the stove now and then to heat up stews and soups.

I'm thinking updating both... for the grill, something like a Coleman Fold-N-Go with griddle. For the stove, something like Coleman Powerpack. The griddle will be nice for making a warm breakfast occasionally.

A very smart man, @NCFJ turned us on to this camp grill:

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Grill-...UTF8&qid=1524694509&sr=8-2&keywords=fox+grill

Folds flat - takes up NO space.

We basically eat shish-kabobs every meal now and LOVE IT as you just prepack ziplocks per meal and mix/match throughout your trip. Everything is precut, seasoned - meal in a bag. Shrimp, Steak, whatever w/ veggies, etc.

For break-fast, we use our old two burner coleman and do JUST fine. So we don't have to choose one or the other :)

You are too kind Jamie. Our grill sits out in all kinds of weather and we use it all the time instead of a big grill. We are only cooking for two. We are like Jamie, a grill and a coleman two burner, one for coffee and another.

The beauty of camping with familiar companions is you start blending meals and every meal essentially becomes a buffet. You learn each other's tastes and how they sett up etc. If I am up and around first, I put on a full pot of water for coffee as most use a french press or similar. It's the little things that make a difference in the experience and food is certainly at the front of the list.

I have cooked more burgers, hot dogs, steak and chicken than I ever thought I would and it as good in/on the cast iron as any propane grill.

I bought the stove last year, looked at them for a long time and finally broke down. Worth every penny and matched with the griddle, I think it is the perfect camp outfit.

Trying this Alton Brown recipe made me a cast iron steak believer, so many times in the dead of a Toronto, Canada winter this was solid gold goodness.

ALTON BROWN'S PAN SEARED STEAK
Alton is my Georgia brother from another mother @Saddletramp !!!

I bring a stove and a grill. But to me, a grill is something I put in the campfire ring such as this:

1567180065833.png

I just picked up a portable Traeger grill. It works off 110volts or small inverter directly off your battery. All you do is add pallets to the hopper and turn the knob like an oven. You can grill or smoke . So far the best tri tip I’ve ever cooked. Chicken came out great as well.
2D33C698-FB99-4E58-9554-E8E739596B26.jpeg

We like to cook while camping. It is part of our experience. So, we take both. A stove and small Weber Q grill. Not sure I could live with one or the other.
Agree, there are any collapsible grills out there, grill/fire pit combos... Where I am going dictates what I take. To complicate matters I have this discada cooker now which, being a breakfast cook, really excites me. I have used it yet but looking very forward to it. I’ll use it at home quite a bit befor taking it out.

Matt -

I've had the Partner Stove for about 3 years now and have been very pleased. I also carry the Lodge 16" Griddle / Grill and that seems to take care of my needs.

IMG_20190921_153651.jpg

My biggest issue was carrying the grill and keeping grease and oil out of the truck. A simple garbage bag works, but I made a dedicated sleeve from Poly Vinyl and its works great.

IMG_20190921_153855.jpg

IMG_20190921_153812.jpg

Nice skillz!

Matt -

I've had the Partner Stove for about 3 years now and have been very pleased. I also carry the Lodge 16" Griddle / Grill and that seems to take care of my needs.

View attachment 2088222

My biggest issue was carrying the grill and keeping grease and oil out of the truck. A simple garbage bag works, but I made a dedicated sleeve from Poly Vinyl and its works great.

View attachment 2088226

View attachment 2088228
I have the 12" one burner version of that griddle. Love it.

I have the 12" one burner version of that griddle. Love it.
Yep that's also a great item. I'm making smaller sleeves for single and doubles of that is well.

Best,

J

Yep that's also a great item. I'm making smaller sleeves for single and doubles of that is well.

Best,

J
Very cool. Those look awesome. I happened to have an accessory bag that came with a duffel I bought that works perfectly.

Have been using a Partner Steel 18" stove for a few years and am very happy with it. When we want to cook over an open fire, we do just that.

In the LX I also have an "emergency" bag which contains a tiny, single-burner backpacking stove and a fuel canister for it (along with pots, basic cutlery and a few cups of white rice).

At home we've got a Kamado egg and a Mangal for shashlik ("shis-ka-bob").

I have the 2 burner green classic white gas burner.

Purchased a lp adapter to use 1 lb propane cans (eventually hose to larger lp tank). Works awesome.

Eventually will get a 2 fuel regulator (white gas/unleaded) such that I will have a 3 fuel stove).

I have a Partner stove and have used it a few times. Its amazing! I also have a backup MSR Pocket Rocket to boil water. The MSR doesn't hardly take up any space or weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom