Stove or grill? (1 Viewer)

Do you prefer cooking with a stove or a grill while camping?

• Stove

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Grill

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcgaskins

SILVER Star
Threads
For cooking around the campfire, I've always lugged along my old Weber grill that's been rebuilt a few times over the years, but I'm finally retiring it. I've been trying to decide if I want to switch over to something like a Partner Steel stove and using pans or replace the grill with something heavier duty/longer lasting like the marine one below. I typically prefer grilled everything, but my wife is more of a breakfast person which a stove/griddle combo is great for. I have used my grill with a griddle and small pans before, but it's not very efficient and can damage the grill grates obviously. I'm trying to not overcomplicate the cooking situation, so I prefer to go with one or the other instead of taking both. I'm curious what you all prefer to use (keeping in mind fire restrictions vary wildly here so I'm not looking for an over-the-campfire solution).

Stove:
Partner_Steel_3_Burner_Stove_26__31130.1418235608.386.513.jpg

Grill:
20132F-f.jpg

We like to cook while camping. It is part of our experience. So, we take both. A stove and small Weber Q grill. Not sure I could live with one or the other.

I used to haul both my dual burner Partner Steel stove and either the then Solaire grill or the more recent Magma kettle grill. And at times it is nice/handy to have both. But if space or lack of is an issue I've satisfactorily used a grill pan atop the Partner. Works just as good and maybe better since no flare ups to deal with when grilling fatty meat.

Have you seen the Skottle?
In addition to a regular campstove that I use, I picked up the Skottle from jackcovers.com who resells them from tembotusk.com
They are all the rage.
If you have not seen one, Google it.
Here is a video of one in action.

Like Spressomon I use to haul both, although I have a $5 garage sale Coleman and a $30 Walmart Gas grill rather than the Gucci stuff he has. :flipoff2:
Anymore I just use a Coleman stove, which I prefer to propane. If we are going to have something like steak I just heat the cast iron skillet to screaming hot and sear them off. Truth is we have found we actually like steak better cooked in cast iron than grilled. I did acquire a vintage hibachi which will see some use this year if the wind/rain/snow ever lets up.:(

I have a $2.00 garage sale charcoal grill, about 12" in diameter. Also have the two burner mountain series LP stove that we skillet cook alot and also perk our coffee on. Keep a small dual fuel Coleman for a quick pot of hot tea and to cook a one skillet meal. Best advice I can give is to think about the type of cooking you do and choose the right tool for that. Good Luck.

P.S. I'm 71 and have found out that whatever decision I make is usually the wrong one according to the Mrs.

Last edited:
That's unfortunate about your restrictions of over the fire cooking. I bring a stove for breakfasts and coffee n stuff, but also have a bbq rack that i put on open fires for suppers and other meals. Best of both worlds.

I would prefer a grill, but they take up too much space.

If it's either/or, stove. I sometimes bring a cheapie propane grill if I think I really need to...

Otherwise,
IMG_3499.JPG

I always bring my Coleman stove for breakfasts/coffee and my Lil Smokey Joe for grilling. I love cooking with charcoal.

I've lugged around a Campchef Expedition 2 stove and grillbox. Love grilling on the grillbox, but in the process of downsizing. I currently also carry the Coleman dual grill/burner. Problem with it is the burner side is so tiny that not much fits there but a coffee pot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom