AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 100 series (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fortunately it's just me and my gf for now. I guess you really have to be selective who you share your beer with :D . Just looked at the Isotherm drawer fridge and it's definitely higher end, the 30L is around $1200. I don't know anything about the Phalcon Overland fridge or the LG compressor but at $425 the price may be just right. Although it would suck if the thing died in the middle of a trip.

What are the dimensions of each individual compartment under the ADGU unit? Width might be more of the limiting factor. I agree with you on vertical space being a factor which is a problem on some of the other drawer units. Not knocking Goose Gear or Trekboxx as they make fantastic products but the kitchen/fridge systems in those units really cut down on how much space you have in the vehicle. With those units your vehicle really has to be a dedicated trail or overland rig to make the cost worth it.
Like you suspected, the Phalcon fridge is just a rebadged Chinese fridge. You can find them easily... this is very likely it... even says LG compressor. How much will shipping be on a single unit? $120 plus shipping.

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 9.54.23 AM.png

If you have extra room in the space under the platform, I'd add extra insulation. Also noteworthy, all fridges have a temperature gradient... usually the bottom is cooler than the top. With the drawer fridge, I noticed it is cooler in the rear, closest to the compressor and the front is noticeably warmer. So beer is stored in the back, vegetables stored in the front.

Great Sleuth work! Here is the manufacture’s websit: Product - D30 - Alpicool Inc. - https://www.alpicool.com/details/overviews.html?id=25 They make quite a few different units, many are sold on Amazon. Because of this, there are reviews and YouTube videos available on many of their products.

Now, going to the D30 page you can see the dimensions are 17-3:8” wide, 27-1/2” deep and just under 10” tall... it will fit! Now do you think they made a typo saying it will hold 20L instead of 30L?

765279E6-F533-449E-BE43-2D8C6157CA2B.jpeg

Heads up everyone, used SS1 V1 drawer up for sale on the site! This came out of my 99 and 06LX when I updated my personal setup. Drawer is in great shape and this is roughly half off the current V2 prices. Only 1 available. The beauty panel is identical for V1/V2 so if you added a V2 drawer to this, you'd have a clean and consistent dual drawer look.

1611010448641.png

Been thinking a lot about removing the larger section of my middle row seat and replacing it with a simple box style storage solution that can be accessed from the door.

I want to be able to keep the single middle row seat as sometimes we cruise with 3 people, but willing to remove the larger section of seats as we rarely drive with 4 or more people...Storage space when camping is more critical.

When the SS1 sleeper is folded up, the box could be level with the platform and accessible from the side. It may be possible to just eliminate the sleeper wing all together and when it comes time to camp just throw the mattress up on everything and off ya go. The only snafu there is the angle of that middle row seat but that is manageable to get it even with the platform.

Now my only problem is I have 0 wood working skills and need enough demand in this concept to get the ADGU crew to fabricate this as an option.

Anyone else out there thinking about a middle row delete for more storage solutions with the SS1? I've seen some people just use bins and that is a decent concept but I'd like something more dialed in and customized to the setup.

Below picture may help visualize the concept. Maybe even just simply putting another leg / support in the driver side corner of the sleeper wing would be enough support since the other side would still have the single seat to help support the sleeper.

But if that dang seat wasn't there I would have a lot more options, we all know how every square inch counts when it comes to loading up these rigs

KIMG2523.JPG

I have done that middle seat row set up...but no box.

Mainly helps me store my MTB.

W/r to storage platform...I have ideas percolating.
I could simplify the concept and stop thinking about the box. This would allow for more space and options keeping with the simplistic concept of the SS1. That would lead to a need for more support for the sleeper wing though.

Once weather gets better I'll pull my seats and see what can be sorted out. Maybe the easiest way to accomplish this is just adding a leg or two that could be removed when folded up. Seems possible with minimal skills.

Does ADGU sell just these legs or would we source from McMaster Carr?

I could simplify the concept and stop thinking about the box. This would allow for more space and options keeping with the simplistic concept of the SS1. That would lead to a need for more support for the sleeper wing though.

Once weather gets better I'll pull my seats and see what can be sorted out. Maybe the easiest way to accomplish this is just adding a leg or two that could be removed when folded up. Seems possible with minimal skills.

Does ADGU sell just these legs or would we source from McMaster Carr?
We've thought about how to do this sort of free-standing sleeper idea. Simple hinges on the platform with a similar aluminum extrusion leg would work nicely. Depends how sleek you want it to be when the sleeper is stowed away. You can go with something as simple as a 2x4 or as fancy as a hinged extrusion leg with 3-d printed foot.

We can sell custom-length legs, but you can also order from any of the extrusion vendors (8020/tnutz/mcmaster, etc...). Your final pricing will probably be in the same ballpark any way you go. Since we haven't refined anything for this yet, I think our best suggestion here is to try a couple things out and show off what you come up with!

If you're taking the seats out, I'd try to make something that really utilizes all that newly freed space. I envisioned some sort of pivoting drawer deal, but the geometry is just kinda ugly. I'm anxious to see where you take the idea!

We've thought about how to do this sort of free-standing sleeper idea. Simple hinges on the platform with a similar aluminum extrusion leg would work nicely. Depends how sleek you want it to be when the sleeper is stowed away. You can go with something as simple as a 2x4 or as fancy as a hinged extrusion leg with 3-d printed foot.

We can sell custom-length legs, but you can also order from any of the extrusion vendors (8020/tnutz/mcmaster, etc...). Your final pricing will probably be in the same ballpark any way you go. Since we haven't refined anything for this yet, I think our best suggestion here is to try a couple things out and show off what you come up with!

If you're taking the seats out, I'd try to make something that really utilizes all that newly freed space. I envisioned some sort of pivoting drawer deal, but the geometry is just kinda ugly. I'm anxious to see where you take the idea!
Good info, yeah I am pretty hell bent on making this work. My seat stays folded up 90% of it's life and when I pop it up it's mostly for the dog =]

I like the idea of keeping 1 jump seat just incase, but shoot I may just remove the entire middle row and open up a new world of storage space.

Using bins as support / storage is out of the mix since I won't be able to get at them with the sleeper on top. Building a box also seems to be overkill since the weight and kind of awkward spacing between the door and middle row floor. That leads me to sticking with the simple idea of just using legs and supporting the sleeper at the hinge and end limits to keep it sturdy.

I'll reach back out once I can take some measurements, may want to experiment with some of the same legs that support the rest of the platform.

Ok first warm weekend we have had in a while so I pulled my rear seats.

Left with a lot of open space and those little metal seat mounts that I may try to remove at some point.

My concept from here is simple , get three legs , drill three holes and secure the legs. My platform stays in sleeper mode all summer long but when I want to fold it I'll just remove the three legs , easy enough.

I used some plastic I had laying around just to visualize it , the extra space will make a big difference when doing multi day trips.

I realized without the support of the seat, the hinged design will probably require more legs to support everything. Maybe keep the three as seen in the picture and add two more legs near the tie downs ,leaving me with a nice open space for more storage options

KIMG3149.JPG

Last edited:
Been searching around for the perfect storage containers to slide under the platform (maximizing available space) and thought I'd check here. There must be someone here who's found the perfect container to slide under the SS1 platform?

63-quart Hefty would be great if it were a little taller. Anyone find the Cinderella containers?

Been searching around for the perfect storage containers to slide under the platform (maximizing available space) and thought I'd check here. There must be someone here who's found the perfect container to slide under the SS1 platform?

63-quart Hefty would be great if it were a little taller. Anyone find the Cinderella containers?
I have to run out to the shop to run some panels on the CNC, but my favorite bin strategy before I went to drawers was the slim "under-bed" style bins. I had two stacked on top of one another and the heights were really close to perfect. Having two vs one large one meant that either one slid easily. That was perfect for camp stuff like utensils, lights, batteries, TP, lighters, hatchet, etc...

I think the bed ones I used are linked somewhere earlier in this thread. If you can't find them, shoot me a reminder and I'll track it down when I'm back at a PC.

Reactions: tjb
I have to run out to the shop to run some panels on the CNC, but my favorite bin strategy before I went to drawers was the slim "under-bed" style bins. I had two stacked on top of one another and the heights were really close to perfect. Having two vs one large one meant that either one slid easily. That was perfect for camp stuff like utensils, lights, batteries, TP, lighters, hatchet, etc...

I think the bed ones I used are linked somewhere earlier in this thread. If you can't find them, shoot me a reminder and I'll track it down when I'm back at a PC.

Thanks! I’ve got a couple of those! Was looking for something deeper for larger stuff.

Yeah... but now that I'm thinking about it, I made my setup a little taller so these bins would work for me. My platform sits a little higher than the folded down second row.

Just one idiots opinion, but I found using duffel bags rather than bins allows for more storage underneath.

If your not pressed for space, then the bins have a cleaner feel to them for sure but they seem to take away from some storage capacity. I maxed out my space below the platform pretty quickly with bins and found that duffel bags sized accordingly for the gear I am holding allow for a lot more usable space.

Big news everyone, we now have an actual shop! We moved into this space last month and have been able to get everything set up and ready for action!

With the new shop, we are offering full installation services. Save yourself the time of building your own and come by the shop for an install. We have had the great fortune of working with a few customers on installs already. Installation service is about the same cost as shipping, so for a similar amount of money you save the time of assembly. With a system pre-built, we can have it installed quickly making it possible for the shop to become a jumping-off point for your next CO mountain adventure!

We are also going to be able to drastically reduce lead times with the extra inventory storage. the goal for 2021 is to get systems stocked so we can ship/install same day. It's a lofty goal for sure but that's the target.

We'd love to get a system installed for you, come check us out! We are located about 20 mins East of Boulder Colorado, 20 mins North of Denver:

3540 Hwy 52 Suite H8
Frederick CO 80516

20210524_164759.jpg

PXL_20210525_032304117.jpg

20210601_131128.jpg

20210528_091954.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom