AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The bolt through the 80/20 is the final design. Both Andy and myself use a fair amount of 80/20 in industrial applications at the day-job, and have found that the internal fasteners can move over time and would be difficult to place with the accuracy we intend to maintain with this system. With the uprights being supported under the platform with a metal backing plate/washer, we are able to create a very secure connection. Picture shows the underside of the platform, with the mounting plates/washers.

For the slides, we pretty exhaustively searched to find the exact right application. These slides are 100% full extension, which we set out as a design requirement from the beginning. This was always considered a critical feature to allow the best user experience with the drawers. We also wanted to stick to a conventional ball-bearing arrangement, as this drawer is BUTTER smooth even while fully loaded. This was another critical requirement for us. We have incorporated a closed, half-open and full open hold feature, to allow the use of the drawer in off-camber situations.

One feature we will incorporate into the production drawers is a partially nested slide. We will be able to recess the slide partially into the drawer, allowing for a larger drawer.

Appreciate the response, sending a PM with regard to the local CNC bit

Any update on the drawers?

Sorry for the delay here!

Drawers are designed, prototyped and installed in Kyle's car. 100% full extension, industrial slides with 250# capacity at full extension. We're working on refining the latch mechanism holding it closed, halfway and open for production. It's currently functional, but not up to our production standards.

We're also considering how the drawer faces should look. I'd like something unique and not just a rectangle with a handle.

Any suggestions for the drawer face?

Sorry for the delay here!

We're also considering how the drawer faces should look. I'd like something unique and not just a rectangle with a handle.

Any suggestions for the drawer face?

Kyle- Here's a list of the handles KISS Drawer owners have been installing, with links for where to buy. Hope it helps ;)
Land Shark Outfitters - Customize Your Drawers

upload_2017-10-13_13-40-9.png

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since we've posted, things are always a little crazy through the holidays! We've been working through the drawer lock mechanism, and have landed on a design that we will be moving forward with. We'll build out a production ready prototype soon and update with some pics/videos. In the meantime, enjoy a few pics! Just recently mounted up the snow tires for the subaru, ice racing season is upon us!

You can check out more pictures on our instagram account as well, @airdowngearup Air Down Gear Up (@airdowngearup) • Instagram photos and videos

20170218_151126.jpg

20171228_074445.jpg

Nice i cant wait for the drawer setup this is what ive been waiting for

Hi Everyone, A few updates on the SS1:

We have made a few enhancements to the overall design and added a lower cost tier of buying:
  • We are now offering a 'DIY' parts kit. This will be the CNC panels and all the hardware necessary to assemble your own system. We are trying to offer the highest level of product finish possible at the lowest cost, so this is a great option if you don't mind 1-2hours of assembly. Basically you'll need to hammer in all the threaded fittings (prop nuts) and screw in all the hinge screws. Trying to cut our labor component out of the cost and still offer a top quality finished product is the goal with this offering.

• We have recessed ALL of the hardware at this point. We have found this somewhat small detail to be hugely important, as snagging any hardware can damage gear and add frustration with boxes, etc. getting snagged. It also enchances the overall finish of the system, almost looks like we know what we're doing! Recently had a customer with this to say:
    • "The more I look at the design of the platform, the more I am amazed. Quite the piece of art."
  • On a very minor note, we changed the cargo tie down to a more robust d-ring.
The website has been updated to reflect all of these changes. Let us know what you think!

CNC detail.jpg

unlined platform.jpg

Unlined sleeper folded.jpg

unlined sleeper.jpg

What is the total weight with the sleeping extension option also what size and grade wood is the platform? Is the height limited to the fender wells or 'could' the platform be lowered?

With the sleeper extension we are coming in around 35 pounds for the whole assembly. Light weight was one of the primary design consideration. This really helps installing and removing, it's a piece of cake with two people and can be pretty easily managed solo.

Wood is Baltic Birch, grade BB/BB sized at 1/2". We have had great results with this combination, I've had mine in use for over a year now (this particular platform, i've had a version of the 1/2" for over two years total) in a variety of uses from home depot duty (bought a new house last year) to groceries to camping. We have about 20 nights camping with my wife and I on this current platform and everything still looks brand new.

The 13" height is driven mostly by the folded down back seats, at 13" we are able to fold down directly onto that. I can't say i've taken a measurement between the platform and wheel well, but looking at this picture I have there's probably 4+ inches there. If you went shorter you'd lose the ability to flip directly onto the rear seats, but might be a good option if the sleeper is not what you're looking for. We have found 13" is a pretty good compromise for space available above the platform for sleeping room and maximized storage area underneath.

Under Side Platform.jpg

With the sleeper extension we are coming in around 35 pounds for the whole assembly. Light weight was one of the primary design consideration. This really helps installing and removing, it's a piece of cake with two people and can be pretty easily managed solo.

Wood is Baltic Birch, grade BB/BB sized at 1/2". We have had great results with this combination, I've had mine in use for over a year now (this particular platform, i've had a version of the 1/2" for over two years total) in a variety of uses from home depot duty (bought a new house last year) to groceries to camping. We have about 20 nights camping with my wife and I on this current platform and everything still looks brand new.

The 13" height is driven mostly by the folded down back seats, at 13" we are able to fold down directly onto that. I can't say i've taken a measurement between the platform and wheel well, but looking at this picture I have there's probably 4+ inches there. If you went shorter you'd lose the ability to flip directly onto the rear seats, but might be a good option if the sleeper is not what you're looking for. We have found 13" is a pretty good compromise for space available above the platform for sleeping room and maximized storage area underneath.

View attachment 1687450

Good info and reason with solid choice in material.

I'll add that the 1/2 Birch material is much more stout than I initially counted on. I thought it would be more than sufficient for our intended purpose (sleeping and some medium duty cargo), but wasn't sure how it would fair with really heavy loads. I recently used it to transport a ~250-300 lb gun safe. The guys helping to load it at the store were far less careful than I would have been, but it didn't matter. A point load of that safe slamming down on the middle of the platform on the front edge was nothing. No notable flex or marks left in the assembly. The trim piece at the front protects the front edge nicely from that sort of abuse.

Had I not had the platform the safe would have been extremely difficult to load as it was longer than the cargo area with the seats folded forward and would have needed to be lifted onto the seat backs. I'm not sure two people could have maneuvered that while sitting in the cargo area. Not to mention the potential damage dragging that much weight on the seat backs. With the platform it was safe, secure and easy.

I really like this system. However I wonder if 13inches is a bit too high if you have a dog in the back. Easy for the dog to get thrown forward.
That's the main reason why I would consider the KISS system. Of course there are workarounds like putting the dog in the back seat or using a crate (which would have to be secured)
Has anyone used carpet vs truck bed liner? would like to see some photos.

I really like this system. However I wonder if 13inches is a bit too high if you have a dog in the back. Easy for the dog to get thrown forward.
That's the main reason why I would consider the KISS system. Of course there are workarounds like putting the dog in the back seat or using a crate (which would have to be secured)
Has anyone used carpet vs truck bed liner? would like to see some photos.

I've got a Brittany Spaniel (~30 lbs). My original prototype was carpeted and worked well. My current is unlined and it's best to have a blanket or something for her to get a little traction on. With just the wood, she slides around quite a bit.

For securing the dog, I always use a leash/seatbelt anchor and a harness - platform system or not. I use a short leash (3' max) or a dog-harness seatbelt adapter. You could anchor any of those to the OEM anchors or to the anchors on the top of the platform.

I also take our dog on wheeling trails and for that the carpet is a definite winner. The unlined system (and I imagine the bedlined system) don't provide much grip for dog feet/claws when the truck is getting a little tippy, haha.

just ordered the basic ss1. I think I am going to line it with carpet or a rubber mat. what's the best way of doing it. Do you glue the carpet over the hardware or do I have to cut out around the hinges, screws, tie downs etc.? Or do I install the carpet and then the hardware over it?
Since the carpet is probably not waterproof should I first finish the wood with varnish or something else. Anyone have a photo?

just ordered the basic ss1. I think I am going to line it with carpet or a rubber mat. what's the best way of doing it. Do you glue the carpet over the hardware or do I have to cut out around the hinges, screws, tie downs etc.? Or do I install the carpet and then the hardware over it?
Since the carpet is probably not waterproof should I first finish the wood with varnish or something else. Anyone have a photo?

Thanks for the order! We'll work on getting you an ETA for shipment. We've got most parts in stock and just need to verify hardware.

For my carpet: I used carpet from Home Depot that came in a roll about 3 feet wide. It was under $20 if memory serves me and I secured it with a regular hand staple gun. I initially used those materials and basic securing method just to get something together. To my surprise it actually held up well and looked fantastic. I used a new razor blade in combination with some fresh tin snips and the carpet cut like paper. I cut it as I secured it so I could use the platform as a guide. The staples all held until I dismantled that prototype after about a year of use with a handful of camping/shooting trips. It worked far better than I thought it would for such basic tools and $20 of carpet. The carpet had really nice stripes in the pile that made perfectly straight cuts a breeze.

As for hardware access, I would use a small bit of glue to keep the large washers in place on the topside of the platform. Then cut tiny X's or holes where the screws will go so you can disassemble if needed. I'd cut these holes after you secure the carpet completely. It will be very easy to feel exactly where the screws are.

You could leave the front trim piece exposed, but you may end up with a lip on the carpet that gets in the way. You could avoid the lip by folding the carpet over the front lip like I did in my early version pictured here.

Let me know if you've got any questions as you attempt the carpet on yours.

-Andy

SS1 Carpeting1.JPG

SS1 Carpeting2.JPG

I have a couple questions before ordering.

1) what’s the current lead time on the DIY w/sleeper kit?

2) in the pictures, the wings have no extra support. What’s the weight limit on the wings?

I have a couple questions before ordering.

1) what’s the current lead time on the DIY w/sleeper kit?

2) in the pictures, the wings have no extra support. What’s the weight limit on the wings?

Current lead time is running about 2 weeks for a DIY sleeper kit, but often we are able to beat that a little.

As for the wings, there isn't additional support, that hasn't been an issue. I don't have a weight limit specifically, but with the wings only being a few inches wide, we haven't found that any amount of gear or rolling over onto the wing while sleeping to cause any issue. I've been using versions of this platform for about 2 years now and haven't had any issues with overloading the wings yet.

Might be time to break a prototype/development model to find out where that limit is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom