Storage Solution for Radio Hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got around to forming a storage pocket for the radio hole in my FJ40. Started out by cutting a plug out of MDF, 3/16" smaller than the opening, in both directions. Cut out a piece of 1/16" ABS plastic using tin shears. Using a heat gun, I folded the ABS around the plug. Trimmed the excess material with the table router and slid the pocket into the radio hole. It's a tight enough fit to where no fasteners were required.
DSCN2103.JPG
DSCN2105.JPG
DSCN2107.JPG
DSCN2109.JPG
DSCN2112.JPG

Very ingenious! I like it very much!!

Thanks. I started out trying to do vacuum forming, but the sides streached out too thin.

I heated up the ABS and rolled a lip around the opening. I can get more uniform on the width of the lip by trimming on the router table. I'll look into mass production, if there is enough of a market out in cruiser land. Material cost is about $3 each, but labor is off the charts. I have some ideas for speeding up the process though. My FJ40 is a '77, but have no idea what year models have the same radio opening.

I'm not sure how big the market would be but this seems like a great option to me. I am not going to put a radio there ever. I don't really want a block off plate because it is usable space. Looks like a good home for my phone when I am driving my 40.

I can't help on year models, mine is a 77 just like yours. I am also in east Texas but I have a feeling you are further south. I am close to Tyler.

That's awesome .I think there is a market , just make it for a few different size holes , made by PO's.

I'm not sure how big the market would be but this seems like a great option to me. I am not going to put a radio there ever. I don't really want a block off plate because it is usable space. Looks like a good home for my phone when I am driving my 40.

I can't help on year models, mine is a 77 just like yours. I am also in east Texas but I have a feeling you are further south. I am close to Tyler.

I'm down between Pegoda and Sebastopol in Trinity County

I ordered a 2' x 2' sheet through Amazon. Should get four blanks cut out of a 2' square. Shipping cost was about the same as the material.

It will be a few weeks before I can spend time in the shop (deer season), but I'll fab a dozen and see how they sell. Maybe work out the bugs in the process.

I did this same thing out of sheet metal 5 years ago. Bend n solder. There was a company that made this, but disappeared. Not commenting on yours, it looks great. I'm just not into plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom