Storage Solution for Radio Hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd potentially be interested. My radio is long gone, modern radios tend to be too large for the hole, and the truck is too loud to make one worthwhile anyway.

From a pricing standpoint, the going rate for a radio delete plate from redvenomrepros is ~$39.00. I think if you priced it anywhere at or below that price, I'd consider paying it. Personally, I'd rather have useable space than a block-off plate (or better yet, useable space BEHIND a repro delete plate).

This is a tall order, but food for thought: If you (or someone else) could find a way to reproduce a similar looking delete plate, hinged "front cover" to the pocket (3D printing, maybe?), I'd probably spend an unreasonable amount of money ($75?)...because I love modern convenience hidden behind stock looking veils :grinpimp:. Again, not sure what the overall market would be for something like this - the juice may not be worth the squeeze...

Thanks for the reply and the ideas. :hmm: I ordered more material last night. Sure would like to find an ABS supplier in the Houston area, the shipping is more than the cost of material.

Thanks for the reply and the ideas. :hmm: I ordered more material last night. Sure would like to find an ABS supplier in the Houston area, the shipping is more than the cost of material.

Look for 3D printing shops near you - I know they have started springing up on college campuses to give Engineering students cheap/quick prototyping. Many 3D printers use spooled ABS. The shop might be able to order some sheets from their suppliers. Just a thought!

Look for 3D printing shops near you - I know they have started springing up on college campuses to give Engineering students cheap/quick prototyping. Many 3D printers use spooled ABS. The shop might be able to order some sheets from their suppliers. Just a thought!

I finally got around to forming a storage pocket for the radio hole in my FJ40. Started out by cutting a plug out of MDF, 3/16" smaller than the opening, in both directions. Cut out a piece of 1/16" ABS plastic using tin shears. Using a heat gun, I folded the ABS around the plug. Trimmed the excess material with the table router and slid the pocket into the radio hole. It's a tight enough fit to where no fasteners were required. View attachment 950063 View attachment 950066 View attachment 950068 View attachment 950070 View attachment 950071

Excellent storage pocket build!

Looks awesome! Only issue I see would be the dimensions since so many have been cut to fit more modern equipment.

Great! I have about a dozen made up, but need to buy some bolts, nuts and washers to send out in the package. Mine fits tight, but others may want to bolt to the radio brackets. I'll send a message out to all of those who were interested, when they are ready to ship. Also need to figure out the best way to ship. It will probably be after deer season.:)

Great! I have about a dozen made up, but need to buy some bolts, nuts and washers to send out in the package. Mine fits tight, but others may want to bolt to the radio brackets. I'll send a message out to all of those who were interested, when they are ready to ship. Also need to figure out the best way to ship. It will probably be after deer season.:)

Yella, I would like one, too...great idea! Let me know when and where (paypal, snail-mail check, etc...) and how much, and I'll pay up.

Thanks,
Skip

I have an aftermarket radio in the slot presently that's useless (the dash isn't cut up) ... I'm interested too, Yella, assuming you have any left ...

when deer season os over and your ready to ship let me know, I'd be interested. Might use the space for light and compressor switches later but sweet idea!

Pretty much identical. I have a better process now for getting a uniform bend and width on the lip. Material is the same. I do have new pictures, but I can't get them to load. It asks me for a URL number. Previously I just did a cut and paste.

Great work. Don't forget about us that have FJ60s with no radio.

Here is the final product. I plan to make about a dozen at a time. I'm asking $25 plus shipping. 11 in stock right now.
WP_20150121_001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom