Stolen Land Cruisers -- Common Factors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's any number of ways to defeat a Club lock.
Just search youtube.

I broke one off my own car after losing keys surfing. All it took was some brute strength.

With cordless grinders and drills so prevalent a club is only gonna take seconds to cut, or drill out with very little noise.

Not a LC, but a friend of mine had his 2WD Square body Chevy in his driveway. They broke a window, smashed the steering column, dropped it in neutral, pushed it out of his driveway, down the street, loaded it onto a rollback and it was gone. The Police found it about 3 months later with no hood, engine, or transmission, and a well torn-up interior, parked in some random suburban residential area.

He bought it back and is still in the process of putting it back together 2 years later.

It wouldn't have mattered how many kill switches, plug wires, or electrical doohickeys he installed on it, it would still be gone.

It made me realize that if they want it, they will take it.

I had a 20 ft dovetail tandem axle trailer with a lock covering the entire hitch stolen from in front of my business. The thieves stole 4 trailers from various owners in that spot in one night. They attached one to the truck, then daisy-chained the other three to the front trailer, and took off. Haven't seen them since.

The only thing that may hinder them is a 120 V or 220V arc enhancer so if they touch it, it gets their attention. Then there are too many attorneys around......

All this talk makes me nervous.....

I think they just use bolt cutters to cut the steering wheel when the club is there.
Or a battery powered saws all just like they use to steal your cats.

Truth be told, all we can hope to do with our hidden kill switches and what not, is to perhaps keep a non professional car thief from stealing our truck.

If a professional car thief targets your truck, they are going to get your truck, no matter what you do to stop them.

I caught someone photographing mine today. Young guy with a nice camera and a newer car. I hope it was just out of admiration but he turned away as soon as i walked up to my 80. Most people comment if they actually admire it..

I have been looking at an arduino cap that has a cellular module and gps. I planned on adding wifi and setting it that i can text it and get it to send me back gps coordinates. Setting it to send periodic coordinates would be good to. It will need some batteries and recharging.i have the hardware i just need to get it all put together and programed. I don't code well so it takes longer for me than most.

Not sure how many of you are up on legality issues or not, but just some food for thought, since this seems to be a recurring issue (stolen vehicles).

If you have a lo-jack or similar system, or are thinking of a GPS enabled device, check out your state laws on whether a law enforcement entity can track it without a warrant, or not, directly, once reported stolen. This may hinder some, if a warrant is needed, since they will rely on real time GPS data. A work around is, if you as the legal owner provide GPS or active tracking data, usually (again, state specific), it is allowed to be used without a warrant, but this can become time limiting, if they need to ask you for the data, then act.

I had a non-FJ vehicle which thieves attempted to steal in NM. They got it running, but couldn't drive it (tranny was out, which is why it was parked where it was). It ended up being torched, and a total loss, assuming to cover any tracks of attempted theft.

This is my opinion, so take it as you will. Remove as many of the "overlanding" equipment strapped to the outside. Some have gear as posers, some really use the stuff. Extra accessories add theft appeal, just as much as it adds mall-crawler status. These vehicles are coveted by those who know them. No point in making a juicier target with extra gear.

I agree there's more of a need for security with these vehicles- if any of you have as much time, money, and energy into your rigs as I do (I assume many of you do) you should take notes on various security threads, and the factory security features are extremely outdated. And DON'T post specifics on security features. But find a way that works for you (suggesting using PMs more).

I used to live in an auto theft hot spot. I've found there's the opportunistic thief, who will smash a window for a purse, and the career thief, who knows how to quickly and quietly take your beloved rig (and have way more skills and resources to do so, i.e. The flatbed tow truck). Think about ways to prevent both. You can't make your vehicle completely impervious, but make it less easy.

Open the hood after you park Unclip or pull coil wire. Close the hood. Repeat process in reverse to start.
Mayb
Not sure how many of you are up on legality issues or not, but just some food for thought, since this seems to be a recurring issue (stolen vehicles).

If you have a lo-jack or similar system, or are thinking of a GPS enabled device, check out your state laws on whether a law enforcement entity can track it without a warrant, or not, directly, once reported stolen. This may hinder some, if a warrant is needed, since they will rely on real time GPS data. A work around is, if you as the legal owner provide GPS or active tracking data, usually (again, state specific), it is allowed to be used without a warrant, but this can become time limiting, if they need to ask you for the data, then act.

I had a non-FJ vehicle which thieves attempted to steal in NM. They got it running, but couldn't drive it (tranny was out, which is why it was parked where it was). It ended up being torched, and a total loss, assuming to cover any tracks of attempted theft.

This is my opinion, so take it as you will. Remove as many of the "overlanding" equipment strapped to the outside. Some have gear as posers, some really use the stuff. Extra accessories add theft appeal, just as much as it adds mall-crawler status. These vehicles are coveted by those who know them. No point in making a juicier target with extra gear.

I agree there's more of a need for security with these vehicles- if any of you have as much time, money, and energy into your rigs as I do (I assume many of you do) you should take notes on various security threads, and the factory security features are extremely outdated. And DON'T post specifics on security features. But find a way that works for you (suggesting using PMs more).

I used to live in an auto theft hot spot. I've found there's the opportunistic thief, who will smash a window for a purse, and the career thief, who knows how to quickly and quietly take your beloved rig (and have way more skills and resources to do so, i.e. The flatbed tow truck). Think about ways to prevent both. You can't make your vehicle completely impervious, but make it less easy.

I dunno man, these seem pretty low-key to me...

Expeditions 7 in NYC.jpg

What kind of keys do you guys have on the 80 series in the US? Mine in AUS looks like this:
1620983209682.png

Note: Not my actual key. Posting a pic of your key is as good as handing your key out.

I suppose this key type is standard down under? As far as I know it is anyway, at least it what came on my 80. From what I can see, you guys in the US got shafted and ended up with a more "standard" key type. Now, I have no idea if these kind of locks are more resistant to your traditional bump key attacks, but it seems at the very least having a less common key type might ward off one or two opportunistic thieves.

And for anyone who doesn't know, look up this quick youtube video on lock bumping, and learn how horribly broken the humble key barrel is:

Some modern locks incorporate defences against this technique, but many still do not. A physical lock really isn't an effective form of protection. I suspect 95% of thieves turn up with nothing more than a bump key in their pocket, jiggle it around for a few seconds, and they're in the car, then starting the ignition.

What kind of keys do you guys have on the 80 series in the US? Mine in AUS looks like this:
View attachment 2673707
Note: Not my actual key. Posting a pic of your key is as good as handing your key out.

I suppose this key type is standard down under? As far as I know it is anyway, at least it what came on my 80. From what I can see, you guys in the US got shafted and ended up with a more "standard" key type. Now, I have no idea if these kind of locks are more resistant to your traditional bump key attacks, but it seems at the very least having a less common key type might ward off one or two opportunistic thieves.

And for anyone who doesn't know, look up this quick youtube video on lock bumping, and learn how horribly broken the humble key barrel is:

Some modern locks incorporate defences against this technique, but many still do not. A physical lock really isn't an effective form of protection. I suspect 95% of thieves turn up with nothing more than a bump key in their pocket, jiggle it around for a few seconds, and they're in the car, then starting the ignition.

Toyota 80 Series in NA got the standard key. Lexus LX450s in NA got the internal cut security key.

You can always get a cell based game camera and aim it at the drivers side of your car and set it to notify when it detects movement. Not easy or cheap but cheaper than a new Land Cruiser

I'm in the process of getting a gps tracker for my rig, anyone with recommendations? not looking for something that will connect to the obd2 port, something i can hardwire with battery backup or non hardwire.
I use traki on my bikes and now series 80

You can always get a cell based game camera and aim it at the drivers side of your car and set it to notify when it detects movement. Not easy or cheap but cheaper than a new Land Cruiser

I can attest the Blackvue flagship (2yrs ago) -maybe 900/980 is the model?- WORKS!

I have it in my Tundra, and it’s amazing how often you get doorjacked just parking - if I’m in smaller painted lots, it seriously is 20% of the time you leave it.

The Blackvue has 2 cams & some ~280* of sight, motion activated & backs up to the Cloud despite me running a 128gb micro sd card that “locks” video of all impacts & w/ that size card & unlocked stuff (like the people walking by) - I have about 14 days at the resolution (2nd from top-tier) I chose.

——————————

Funniest thing I caught was the full video of a very large woman who plain backed her silver Prius into my front winch bumper.

It was just before Christmas, I was in Target & there was 6“+ of snow.
She corner-shot the PS RR of the Prius, pulled back into her spot & all on video you saw her collecting tail-light pieces out of the snow - she was “round” enough she even fell forward/planted a knee & the other hand at one point.
Video was about 4:30 of her pathetic & hilariousness.

If she did any damage I’d have taken legal action, but she scuffed the powdercoat on one of my tow eyes & you could clearly see she’d rumpled metal around the taillight & it looked like she shattered the glass panel that’s part of the hatch.

(glare from a parking lot light made it hard to tell - but when she closed the car door to drive away, it looked like all the tempered pieces blew backward/out)

———————————

I’d initially got the cam b/c eco-car types like to brake-check trucks like the size of the Tundra, and a installer at buddy’s car acc store had a fresh new Prius still wearing paper plates do it to his Dodge diesel - It was a major wreck & w/o the cam he’s have gotten the ticket, but since his video showed the speed he was going/GPS too - old man in Prius got the ticket for the wreck from WA State Patrol.

Plus, you get a discount on comp insurance for having one, little “frosting on the cake”.

Usually as long as the vehicle has been reported stolen on star or who ever will track. Onstar will actually call and verify with the Pd In which you filed the report before they will track. I’ve tracked dozens of stolen vehicles using onstar . Some times I would actually be on the phone with onstar and they would feed me real time info or my dispatcher would relay the location to me from onstars dispatch . I’ve also recovered stolens where they rip out the headliner trying to disconnect the onstar. Haha. Idiots.

I can attest the Blackvue flagship (2yrs ago) -maybe 900/980 is the model?- WORKS!

I have it in my Tundra, and it’s amazing how often you get doorjacked just parking - if I’m in smaller painted lots, it seriously is 20% of the time you leave it.

The Blackvue has 2 cams & some ~280* of sight, motion activated & backs up to the Cloud despite me running a 128gb micro sd card that “locks” video of all impacts & w/ that size card & unlocked stuff (like the people walking by) - I have about 14 days at the resolution (2nd from top-tier) I chose.

——————————

Funniest thing I caught was the full video of a very large woman who plain backed her silver Prius into my front winch bumper.

It was just before Christmas, I was in Target & there was 6“+ of snow.
She corner-shot the PS RR of the Prius, pulled back into her spot & all on video you saw her collecting tail-light pieces out of the snow - she was “round” enough she even fell forward/planted a knee & the other hand at one point.
Video was about 4:30 of her pathetic & hilariousness.

If she did any damage I’d have taken legal action, but she scuffed the powdercoat on one of my tow eyes & you could clearly see she’d rumpled metal around the taillight & it looked like she shattered the glass panel that’s part of the hatch.

(glare from a parking lot light made it hard to tell - but when she closed the car door to drive away, it looked like all the tempered pieces blew backward/out)

———————————

I’d initially got the cam b/c eco-car types like to brake-check trucks like the size of the Tundra, and a installer at buddy’s car acc store had a fresh new Prius still wearing paper plates do it to his Dodge diesel - It was a major wreck & w/o the cam he’s have gotten the ticket, but since his video showed the speed he was going/GPS too - old man in Prius got the ticket for the wreck from WA State Patrol.

Plus, you get a discount on comp insurance for having one, little “frosting on the cake”.
How do you have this backing up to the cloud, manually via USB or automagically with a hotspot uplink?

All the theft prevention discussion this week finally got me to move on protecting my 80.

A) I installed an automatic resetting kill switch in the truck. If you search through old posts, there is enough info here on MUD to install a kill switch in multiple ways (EFI, NSS, ignition, battery, etc). I'm not going to mention the route I took, but I am pretty sure it will stop the casual thief. It is certainly better than what I had before which was nothing.

B) I also installed a stand alone GPS tracker with a 4 month+ rechargeable battery and waterproof magnetic box. After seeing the setup they shipped (I paid about $90), if I were to do it again I would just buy the $20 tracker and fab up my own extended battery pack. I had fun hiding it in the bowels of the truck. Even if you knew where it was, and had tools, it would still take you a bit to get to it. I tried it out today and it tracks very accurately and overlays location and trip details in real time on Google Maps. I went with the plan that updates every 60 seconds, stores three months of travel history, and costs $18/month. Is it cheap, no. Is it worth it if it prevents my truck and belongings from just disappearing, Absolutely.

This is the unit I purchased.

140-Day 4G Magnetic GPS Tracker - https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/sparknano-extendedbatt/#tab-description

All the theft prevention discussion this week finally got me to move on protecting my 80.

A) I installed an automatic resetting kill switch in the truck. If you search through old posts, there is enough info here on MUD to install a kill switch in multiple ways (EFI, NSS, ignition, battery, etc). I'm not going to mention the route I took, but I am pretty sure it will stop the casual thief. It is certainly better than what I had before which was nothing.

B) I also installed a stand alone GPS tracker with a 4 month+ rechargeable battery and waterproof magnetic box. After seeing the setup they shipped (I paid about $90), if I were to do it again I would just buy the $20 tracker and fab up my own extended battery pack. I had fun hiding it in the bowels of the truck. Even if you knew where it was, and had tools, it would still take you a bit to get to it. I tried it out today and it tracks very accurately and overlays location and trip details in real time on Google Maps. I went with the plan that updates every 60 seconds, stores three months of travel history, and costs $18/month. Is it cheap, no. Is it worth it if it prevents my truck and belongings from just disappearing, Absolutely.

This is the unit I purchased.

140-Day 4G Magnetic GPS Tracker - https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/sparknano-extendedbatt/#tab-description
Thanks for posting this information. This is the type of GPS device that I feel would be much better at this point and pretty formidable. It's almost the same as having a Garmin InReach and plan cost. Very cool!

My truck (1996) was recently stolen from my house and recovered 2 weeks later just 2 miles from my house. It occurred to me that a tracker of some sort would have led me to the truck the very morning it was stolen and I would have avoided all of the hassle I'm facing now. They took both batteries, all of the wheels, the cats and smashed the stereo. The tow company topped it all off by pushing another car into mine (which had no body damage) and denting the tail gate.
What I'm going to do after I settle up with the insurance company is a kill switch to the ECU and an Apple AirTag tracking device. I don't want to pay a monthly fee for years so a $29 device with a replaceable battery that can last up to a year is worth trying out. I'm also going to explore a DIY Arduino based tracker that uses a SIM card or a APRS ham radio based tracker hardwired into the truck. For now it's the AirTag tucked inside. I'm glad I had comprehensive insurance but this has been a huge hassle, secure your trucks and avoid this crap.

progression from happy to sad:
i-PdFWx3L-L.jpg

i-xMWPq2K-L.jpg

i-4hqdZvP-L.jpg

i-5FqVg4d-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom